Metalguitarist.org banner

181 - 200 of 687 Posts

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
That's not a good sign at all. :lol: Especially if it was from the Chinese Noveau Rich elite.

Within the context of the "obviously circling the drain" thing going on here, it's one of the standard stages. Both Theranos and WeWork pulled it several times.

Did they seriously announce that? :lol: Idiots. That only looks good to people who would believe things like, "People threw money at us, that means we know what we are doing, people never throw money at companies circling the drain, right?".

I'm assuming by investment you mean "sold a stake". Why a company on the cusp of releasing a product that gamechanging would need $5 million, especially at a stage where it looks like they are having a lot of trouble getting their product out, is a red flag. Considering they assured everyone it is "good to go". Just hasn't been manufactured yet. The updates constantly waffling between "the product is good to go" and "the delays just mean it will be more advanced" are not encouraging either. The product is good to go, it just hasn't been manufactured yet, but at the same time you should be thankful for the delays because it means the revisions are only getting more mindblowingly distilled?

Releasing an incredibly stupid overhyped product with an embarrassing ultra public development cycle touting something that isn't actually that good isn't actually that bad for a company. It's not knowing when to pull the plug on it that is more damaging. At this point we're at least 9-10 months past the "someone should have pulled the plug on this" stage.
I talked about it in one political thread or the other but back when I was doing lots of Chamber of Commerce kissing babies and shaking hands bullshit, these guys used to get speaking engagements everywhere about what an amazing company they were:

https://www.timesunion.com/business...nda-stopping-operations-investor-13111235.php

And he'd show up every time talking about another $10 million here, $5 million there etc. and meanwhile it was like three guys working out of an incubator office at the college. They were selling software-as-a-service cloud computing and storage, which was a pretty big thing before it boomed the way it did, but the investor money never seemed to make sense with the actual nuts and bolts of what they needed to operate, nor did it keep pace with the lack of launching an actual product.

That's kinda what Mehtab, Engage, etc. all got into. The idea raising the hype and getting people to believe the hype enough to put in money without seeing an actual product is more important than the actual product. That infamous business profile on Mehtab actually spells that out, that's specifically what he claims he's good at.

Speaking of which, we have a refresher on which of these snake-oil peddlers is behind this one? I forgot, but I assume seeing marketing with Nolly, Plini and pushing product to the usual influencer network means it's one of the usual suspects?

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
The guy behind this is Douglas Castro who is also known for Darkglass pedals. Engage was apparently involved in some capacity at some point, in social media marketing or something.

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
Ah so I guess maybe the Nolly connection is more Darkglass than it is the djent cabal.

·
Administrator
Guitars.
39,754 Posts
Ah so I guess maybe the Nolly connection is more Darkglass than it is the djent cabal.
The best thing that ever happened to Darkglass was the first like 2 seconds of this incredible clip Nolly made:

https://soundcloud.com/nolly/arms-of-the-sea

I bought one because of it. That bass tone smooooooooooooooooooooookes.

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
Tbh, I like the Neural stuff and Darkglass AND $1500 isn't bad for name brand modeling considering what Line 6 is getting for a Helix and Kemper is getting for a Stage. That's why I looked up what happened with this. Maybe a year from now they're out in the wild and have great support and it's a safe buy but as far as the gear hype lemon market, so far they're following the script too close for my liking.

·
Administrator
Guitars.
39,754 Posts
There's just no way in hell I'd plunk down $100 more for this thing than the FM3. Fractal's track record is proven, their support is excellent, their products are well made and they all sound great. The only thing Neural has is a more influencer-y pitch and (to be fair) those cool rotating footswitches.

Hard pass. I'll come back in a couple of years when this thing's a few generations in and give it another look. If there's one thing that's genuinely indicative of a bad idea, it's hopping on the bandwagon for the latest/greatest djent product.

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
FM3 is like cheat codes :lol:

First unit by high power modeling company that's most of the processing power and support, but less IO or buttons to keep down the cost. They're obviously doing really well with it considering it is never in stock, although I'd be curious what their overall decision is on offering something that digs at their Cadillac product as much as it does (in fairness, I do know a number of guys that got an FM3 and then upgraded to the AFX3). I do think a closer comparison between the FM3 and any of the other high end pedals (like the Stage or the AX8 price point when it was new, or the Neural) would be the FM3+FC6.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #188
FM3 is like cheat codes :lol:

although I'd be curious what their overall decision is on offering something that digs at their Cadillac product as much as it does (in fairness, I do know a number of guys that got an FM3 and then upgraded to the AFX3).
My Perception on this and I can be totally wrong so correct me please if its the case. Mainly they like others saw a market for it for reasons that I suspect are something like:

- More and more Music pays less and Gear keeps getting expensive in the sense that if you don't make money playing how can you payback what you buy?

- People abandoning Bands due to not into it anymore, Age, Life priorities etc but still want to have nice Gear and AFX prices are basically Forbidden.

- Not all of us have bands or serious bands, but we want the good toys.

- The "Bedroom Players" and Guitar enthusiasts (were I'm inserted). We are far more quantity wise possible buyers than guys playing on Bands. For each band there must be 100 or more Bedroom only players with no intention to be more than that. We also have money or some money to spend but... we don't want or cant justify/afford Top gear prices, but still we want the Sound of the Big Boys.

It was a matter of time the tech would be "cheap" enough to be copied and even if its not at same level thousands will buy it. That's why we see literally dozens of Modelers in Pedal or small Pedal boards formats. Not having something but on a cheaper format was "hurting" sales wise. Why leave all of that to the competitors? I'm also sure Line 6 with the HX was a deciding factor in forcing it. I'm absolutely sure Fractal knew about it long before any one us even dreamed about it.

They Fractal lowered the price to the least they are willing to go. It's still not cheap but its a lot cheaper than the Rack version that in reality the vast majority of us dont really need. How many "Studios" do exist that need all that power? If you do then and after knowing what you can get with the FM3 then its like you said, some will upgrade.

Same happened to Kemper, they knew they had to have a Pedalboard format of their Unit. I dont think they quit get it or understood the market for it but they also made one. They "had" too. Too late IMO but its out.

·
Super Moderator
8,924 Posts
They Fractal lowered the price to the least they are willing to go. It's still not cheap but its a lot cheaper than the Rack version that in reality the vast majority of us dont really need. How many "Studios" do exist that need all that power? If you do then and after knowing what you can get with the FM3 then its like you said, some will upgrade.
The AFX3 can serve as the center of your home studio, being "guitar amp", sound card/IO, and outboard effects processor all in one. For a serious hobbyist, let alone a commercial project studio, it's a compelling buy. Viewed that way, it's not as outrageously expensive as you'd think.

The FM3 offers less of all that, but it still is a powerful tool for band guys.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,720 Posts
There's just no way in hell I'd plunk down $100 more for this thing than the FM3. Fractal's track record is proven, their support is excellent, their products are well made and they all sound great. The only thing Neural has is a more influencer-y pitch and (to be fair) those cool rotating footswitches.

Hard pass. I'll come back in a couple of years when this thing's a few generations in and give it another look. If there's one thing that's genuinely indicative of a bad idea, it's hopping on the bandwagon for the latest/greatest djent product.
The quality of the unit isn't the problem, I'm actually reasonably sure if it ever ships it will be a reasonably nice unit, especially since they are presumably subcontracting out the actual building of it to a factory in Asia who knows what they are doing.

There are loads of things you can put on your pedalboard that are not worth what people are charging. Caveat Emptor and all that. It's subjective. There are a bunch of $500 pedals that aren't worth $500, there are a bunch of $300 pedals that aren't worth $300. Not stacking up to the competition in terms of bang for your buck isn't that big a deal. That's the market in a nutshell.

The product roll out never ceases to be hilarious though. Going out of your way to launch a product with a design that is not finalized with a strategy that is best summarized as "it will only be a matter of time until shit hits the fan" never stops being funny. Especially considering it is their first physical product.

If they were just charging $1500 for a pedal and people already had the physical units it would be one thing. Gibson can charge $300 for a cap that sounds the same as a 25 cent one and it's no big deal. It wouldn't be that big a deal if a bunch of people had bought a physical unit that was obviously under-specced/over-hyped/over-priced. The fact that the product, which is obviously largely vapor ware and doesn't exist in a finalized form yet, was introduced in a way that looks suspiciously like a Ponzi scheme never stops being funny.

Especially considering the fact that this wasn't a classic vaporware case of things going to shit somewhere along the line and a bunch of people making bad choices along the line and reassuring everyone with false promises, the product was introduced like that. It wasn't a case of them introducing something and things going to shit along the way and being like, "well, it will only be a matter of time before shit hits the fan". They obviously knew that (or should have known that) before announcing the product existed.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,720 Posts
Although I appreciate their ballsiness of going all in and not quietly toning down the ridiculous language on their website even when it's clear things are going to go to shit.

Usually when your first product launch is going that shitty, you do damage control and have someone scrub bold proclamations like "at least two decades an order of magnitude earlier" off your site, a sort of show of humility/penance, so the people who ordered your unit don't go look at your site and say "THOSE SMUG MOTHERFUCKERS".

·
Super Moderator
11,446 Posts
Although I appreciate their ballsiness of going all in and not quietly toning down the ridiculous language on their website even when it's clear things are going to go to shit.

Usually when your first product launch is going that shitty, you do damage control and have someone scrub bold proclamations like "at least two decades an order of magnitude earlier" off your site, a sort of show of humility/penance, so the people who ordered your unit don't go look at your site and say "THOSE SMUG MOTHERFUCKERS".
This is literally every ad for programmers/engineers I ever see, and it's usually someone offering 2/3 of the salary that the person they're looking for can get elsewhere. (Although engineers get paid less than programmers, and I'm not really sure why, since programming these days is kinda like building with Legos.)

·
Administrator
Guitars.
39,754 Posts
Translation: "Is there someone, anyone, out there who can come extricate us from this mess?"
This. :lol: What a load of nonsense.

Neural: We want the purest distillation of thinking complex biometric talent that can propel the strident boldness into the future of influence. Get those instaFace likes, everyone.

Fractal: We are hiring a firmware engineer.

https://www.fractalaudio.com/careers/

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Dat Millennial HR language
I think a lot of HR people over here are really into that, even in large well-established companies. It's seems pretty common that people who think they know English better than they actually do are into the whole business jargon bullshit - especially those who have studied economics/marketing. There's also a huge startup hype in Finland because we have this international startup event called Slush, where this is especially prevalent.

·
Drunk Canuck
1,538 Posts
Fuck Neural for being delayed by a month.

*brandishes his FM3*

·
Super Moderator
8,924 Posts
It's seems pretty common that people who think they know English better than they actually do are into the whole business jargon bullshit - especially those who have studied economics/marketing. There's also a huge startup hype in Finland because we have this international startup event called Slush, where this is especially prevalent.
Oh, it's universal. Here in the USA, it's prevalent among those with MBA degrees, including people many years past millennialhood.

For example, an executive at my company a few levels above me is like a parody of this. I chuckle at every email of his...right after I finally figure out what the fuck he's talking about. It's usually some variation of "I made a ridiculous promise to The Boss Man, and now you peons get to figure it all out." In nice corporate-speak, of course.

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
Dat Millennial HR language
Nothing fucks me off more than this at work. I work for a large global bank and this bullshit is rife. I call people out on it pretty much daily, usually because all the buzz words/terms/phrases are not grammatically correct. So these bellends who are trying to sound professional just sound like fucking idiots.

Its also usually a by product of the cretins being fully incapable of acting like themselves/a human in work, so they put on a mental disguise to convince themselves they should be taken seriously by others.

·
Change Everything
8,912 Posts
This is literally every ad for programmers/engineers I ever see, and it's usually someone offering 2/3 of the salary that the person they're looking for can get elsewhere. (Although engineers get paid less than programmers, and I'm not really sure why, since programming these days is kinda like building with Legos.)
r/recruitinghell is full of that garbage.

Must have 10 years experience in a product out for 3 years
must know multiple unrelated languages (we are looking for a Node, Tomcat Cobol Wizard)

Back to the point - I like the Neural Plugins and am a bit interested in this but honestly the HX stomp gets me at least 90% of what i would use that for at the price of 3 premium pedals. *

* I still have not received the HEY! you can buy the FM3 email :lol:

181 - 200 of 687 Posts