Metalguitarist.org banner

221 - 240 of 687 Posts

·
Not baked anymore.
3,555 Posts
Whenever I jam with my buddies, we silently sit around pensively staring at each other in dimly lit rooms.

Fuck this thing, just buy a damn Fractal. :lol:
This. It's odd to me that guitarists, as picky of our tones as we are, will buy a Kemper that can only rely on profiles someone else made while dealing with an unrealistic EQ section.

Having the ability to tweak EVERY aspect of your tone is priceless. Sure, it takes a little while to understand what parameter does what, but after 2 months with an AxeFX, you'll know what to do. Just fuckin' turn the knobs and you'll get what you're going for. Fuck, most of my presets are a drive pedal into an amp and into a cab. You can't get more simple than that.

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
This. It's odd to me that guitarists, as picky of our tones as we are, will buy a Kemper that can only rely on profiles someone else made while dealing with an unrealistic EQ section.
I'd pump the brakes on that one. The KPA amps absolute sound better out of the box than the Ax

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
Whenever I jam with my buddies, we silently sit around pensively staring at each other in dimly lit rooms.

Fuck this thing, just buy a damn Fractal. :lol:
FWIW, the SSO thread on this has been 99% hype until this last video, since then it's actually been an avalanche of "how come I haven't heard a single clip of this thing sounding good?", which should make Neural worried. When the hype wears off before the thing even hits the street, that's VERY bad.

·
Registered
0 Posts

Having the ability to tweak EVERY aspect of your tone is priceless. Sure, it takes a little while to understand what parameter does what, but after 2 months with an AxeFX, you'll know what to do. Just fuckin' turn the knobs and you'll get what you're going for. Fuck, most of my presets are a drive pedal into an amp and into a cab. You can't get more simple than that.
Nah man the KPA sounds fantastic and it's EQ works awesome. (It's the effects that are mediocre.)

Don't do the Kemper dirty by comparing it to this thing. :lol:

·
Premium Member
943 Posts
The Kempers Amp section EQ is not a tone stack EQ of an amp. It is more like a stomp pedal EQ. So if you are saying it has an unrealistic EQ section, meaning not the same as the amp, you are correct. Kemper said many years ago that he was going to add tone stack EQs of amps. It never happened. With that being said, if you find a good profile maker and know how to use the X slot EQ... you can do some killer shaping in there. IMHO the Kemper has a more realistic power amp section than all other units. (Depending on the profile, shitty in=shitty out)

·
Registered
0 Posts
The Kempers Amp section EQ is not a tone stack EQ of an amp. It is more like a stomp pedal EQ. So if you are saying it has an unrealistic EQ section, meaning not the same as the amp, you are correct. Kemper said many years ago that he was going to add tone stack EQs of amps. It never happened. With that being said, if you find a good profile maker and know how to use the X slot EQ... you can do some killer shaping in there. IMHO the Kemper has a more realistic power amp section than all other units. (Depending on the profile, shitty in=shitty out)
IMO it's harder to find a bad KPA profile than it is to find a great one. The thing sounds fantastic. Unlike the neural Pensive Pod XT. :lol:

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
Unlike the neural Pensive Pod XT. :lol:
Seriously, what's with the World War Z sepia tone DSLR cam and awkward silence while clicking through menus?

Even the most vanilla gear in the 80s was advertised as getting you a red Ferrari and chicks with huge tits in fishnets. If I buy a Neural Quad Cortex, what kind of lifestyle am I buying into? It's shit marketing.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,694 Posts
Unlike the neural Pensive Pod XT.
Seriously, what's with the World War Z sepia tone DSLR cam and awkward silence while clicking through menus?

Even the most vanilla gear in the 80s was advertised as getting you a red Ferrari and chicks with huge tits in fishnets. If I buy a Neural Quad Cortex, what kind of lifestyle am I buying into? It's shit marketing.
Maybe you get a smoking jacket and a sumerian deal?

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
Just send one to Ola, so we can get some useable tones and a couple dick jokes to lighten the mood. This nerd shit needs to go.

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
IMHO the Kemper has a more realistic power amp section than all other units. (Depending on the profile, shitty in=shitty out)
If it sounds shit its still realistic :roll2:

I hated when in the Kemper forums a few years ago when I was trying to make profiles and show that I couldn't get 100% exact right.

And people complained about "you dont know how to place mic correctly" and bla bla bla.

The Kemper sould realistically be able to capture ANY mic placement, ANY amp settings. But they acted like my mic placement was reason for "bad profiling".
No, I tried to explain it over and over again: bad profiling is only because the Kemper cannot capture every nuance of the sound.
Even if its a "shitty" or "good" sound. It doesnt matter. It still has a characteristic loss of low-end and some kind of hard to describe weirdness in upper mids/treble.

I hope this makes sense? :lol:

(I'm sure you know what I'm talking about :) )

·
Registered
0 Posts

:dillon:

·
Premium Member
943 Posts
If it sounds shit its still realistic :roll2:

I hated when in the Kemper forums a few years ago when I was trying to make profiles and show that I couldn't get 100% exact right.

And people complained about "you dont know how to place mic correctly" and bla bla bla.

The Kemper sould realistically be able to capture ANY mic placement, ANY amp settings. But they acted like my mic placement was reason for "bad profiling".
No, I tried to explain it over and over again: bad profiling is only because the Kemper cannot capture every nuance of the sound.
Even if its a "shitty" or "good" sound. It doesnt matter. It still has a characteristic loss of low-end and some kind of hard to describe weirdness in upper mids/treble.

I hope this makes sense? :lol:

(I'm sure you know what I'm talking about :) )
Absolutely. The Kemper cannot profile power amp break up and boosted profiles with external pedals never sounded right. The top profile makers all use tricks to make profiles sound the way they want them too. Plus the extra low mids always bothered me, but thats not on all profiles.

I was just referring to shitty profiles in general, like ones I created in the past. My skills suck and my ears are shit. Hence, shit in=shit out. Just like you Ced, I fall in and out of love with the Kemper. And I went the same direction with using plugins for more control. But now I am back in love with the Kemper. :rofl:

·
Registered
0 Posts
Did either of you try pensively staring at the KPA in a dimly lit, sepia toned room while surrounded by an audience of silent friends nodding at you?

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
Right now I have a issue with Kemper related to what you're speaking about.
Tubescreamer + pushed poweramp sound just doesnt work with Kemper.

I notice that to get the mid-pushed sounds I want, I really need to have a tubescreamer in the chain, but the built-in screamers in Kemper sounds absolutely ass.
While they do get me closer to the chainsaw 90s german power metal sound, they also introduce a very "old 2000s V-Amp distortion" that is just bad.

Nothing I have ever experienced with real tubescreamers and tubeamps.

I've seen some people say they use a phsycial tubescreamer in front of Kemper but first I off I dont have one, and secondly, that would mean the DI signal would be affected as well, so I dont like that idea.

So for the new albums I have just gone the rout of VST tubescreamer + VST amp + IR loader.
It gets me closer to what I really want tonewise.

·
Premium Member
943 Posts
I've seen some people say they use a phsycial tubescreamer in front of Kemper but first I off I dont have one, and secondly, that would mean the DI signal would be affected as well, so I dont like that idea.
A few version ago when they introduced the X Slot can be moved to the front of the amp, which fixes this issue. Its something I complained about when reamping.

To reamp with external pedal in front

Clean DI --> DAW SPDIF out -->

Kemper profile -->
X Slot with Loop (External drive pedal, TS or whatever hooked up Direct output send and Return in the back of the Kemper), put the X Slot Loop to before the amp stack (I forgot what the term is , maybe "pre" instead of "post")
Kemper SPDIF out --> DAW

Easy setup where you can use a clean DI and reamp with an OD pedal.

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
Yep, me too :)

But... Since I like to tweak the tone during mixing I will probably not go that way.
I just dont wanna waste time reamping for 2-3 hours (add another 1-2 hours if quadtracked!!!) for an album and then realized the tone or amount of gain was wrong

Much more convinient to rely 100% on VST plugins so I can change the gain a little at any time, or tweak the "low-mids" or whatever.

I try to avoid as much post-EQ as possible

·
Registered
0 Posts
Yep, me too :)

But... Since I like to tweak the tone during mixing I will probably not go that way.
I just dont wanna waste time reamping for 2-3 hours (add another 1-2 hours if quadtracked!!!) for an album and then realized the tone or amount of gain was wrong

Much more convinient to rely 100% on VST plugins so I can change the gain a little at any time, or tweak the "low-mids" or whatever.

I try to avoid as much post-EQ as possible
With the amount we've seen you change your mind on this forum, yes I think VSTs are the best for you. :lol:

·
Premium Member
943 Posts
If you have a permanent setup, all you have to do is fire up your Kemper to reamp. Same aspect as using plugins but with an external source. The new Rig Manager makes tweaking the Kemper a breeze. I love it

221 - 240 of 687 Posts