Metalguitarist.org banner

21 - 40 of 687 Posts

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,720 Posts
Same here. I got a Mooer Preamp Live last year and just recently picked up a Boss EQ-200 and it seems to do the trick quite nicely.

It's funny people mentioning 'questionable' things on their website because yesterday I posted a link to a mock up of the unit they had on their website and the 2 main inputs were XLR jacks. They've since changed it to the hybrid inputs where you can use either XLR or 1/4" that are supposed to be there but you'd think someone would have noticed it before putting it up.
They probably didn't notice it because your attention is naturally drawn to that hot USB port, which was precision engineered to take the same USB-B cable your printer from 1998 used.

Glad to see they didn't go for that USB 3.0 nonsense, the top of the line unibody and the custom actuators call for the classic sound of USB 2.0.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
They filled in the 1000 Pre Order spots already... seems people are really into it.

·
Super Moderator
8,924 Posts
Hate to say it, but it looks rather fragile, indeed.

I deal with corporate tech bullshit all day long from a fairly senior (and non-tech worker) level, so this looked instantly recognizable:

The Quad Cortex features new technology called Neural Capture, which is powered by a unique neural network architecture that is capable of autonomously analysing, learning, and replicating an amplifier's sound and dynamic response in a way that's akin to human perception. The brand claims that Neural Capture's ability to profile rigs is unparalleled in terms of accuracy and realism.
"Machine learning" is the current magic term that gets otherwise well-educated fools to part with their money. This sounds like nothing more than Kemper-style profiling. Maybe they threw in some pattern recognition. In other words, when the app detects something resembling a certain waveform profile, it automatically inserts certain amp settings that the designers characterize as a match.

I use and really like a couple of Neural's plug-ins: Parallax and Archetype Plini. Their marketing is a little silly, though, but very of the moment.

·
ya boi
ESP, Kemper, Marshall
946 Posts
Neural DSP have at least been able to back up their marketing by making really good plugins. Parallax is great if you're into that kind of bass tone, and their amp sims are all generally excellent, I'd go so far to say the best in the industry at the moment. This is really exposing the absurdity of their marketing though, acting as though some lovechild of the Kemper and Helix made with the same old tech they use is top-of-the-line and revolutionary is a bit silly. I assume the tech within will be great as always but you all are right, the unit itself seems like a repair headache waiting to happen.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Hate to say it, but it looks rather fragile, indeed.
There was a video of two guys one on top of the other and stepping on the Buttons to show how sturdy it was... It was from Instagram but I cant find it and I dont think we can even embed videos for any other source except YT on here...

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,720 Posts
They filled in the 1000 Pre Order spots already... seems people are really into it.
People are really into anything the influencers back, because people are fucking idiots.

They also pushed back the date the unit is actually shipping to November 2020. :lol:

So you know, it's the greatest unit ever, only they haven't actually made any of them, because the fact these aren't releasing a year from now would seem to indicate they haven't found a factory to subcontract it out to.

The Nov 2020 ship date would also seem to indicate that the company is one of those ultra legit "early access gaming" type ventures. Where, you know, they know for sure they product is the best, even though the tech is suspiciously last gen, and they are so sure it's the best they won't actually manufacture any units until people pay for them in advance.

I like how all the online supposedly reputable corporations are just straight up running whatever ad copy Neural sends them as fact. :lol:

If any of their autonomous AI that will make your tone the greatest thing ever was a proprietary cutting edge advancement, Neural would waste absolutely no time putting "(TM)" or "(Patent Pending)" besides it. They probably had the old "hey, what if we just call out amp sims an autonomus neural net" conversations at the same time they had the "do you think we could get away with calling pots actuators" and "we are going to call this case a unibody, because it sounds fancy".

"autonomously analysing, learning, and replicating an amplifier's sound and dynamic response" = "hey, you know how things like compressors and EQ have existed for generations? you know how basic programming has also existed for generations? what if we just made it so if there is too much at 500 hz or something the unit automatically EQs it in real time"

That's if your lucky.

The way they worded it makes it sound like they are using adaptive procedural generation to make the perfect individualized amp experience. Which........well, I suppose we'll see when the units ship if that's what they are up to.

Having basic programming that is like "IF X HAPPENS THEN DO Y" is not exactly cutting edge. It's only been around for, I don't know, decades.

And that is also quite a bit different than a "unique neural network architecture that is capable of autonomously analysing, learning, and replicating an amplifier's sound and dynamic response in a way that's akin to human perception"

The thing people who are saying "all the tech companies are doing" don't get is.....yeah, you can do that, if you are the cutting edge in your field. Axe-FX says some hyperbolic things in their marketing, but they are also the company that designed and manufactured all the cutting edge units in that field.

It's like, if Intel came out with a next gen CPU and were like, "This CPU is essentially magic, it's that good". You can be like, "Ok, that's a bit hyperbolic, but since Intel and AMD are the only top of the line companies making that shit, it will at least be pretty good."

But if a company based in Malaysia suspiciously manufacturing copies of Intels last gen CPU said the same thing.........yeah, that's pretty funny.

The way technology works is the cutting edge talent goes where the cutting edge money is. The people Neural is contracting their designs out to might be talented, but to represent them as bleeding edge talent is ridiculous.

AXE-FX can get away with more, because it's a different situation when the founder and leader of a company is also the designer of the products, or part of the team involved.

You can say what you want about AXE-FX, I'm not a huge fan, but the people in charge of approving their marketing are also people who actually know what's going on inside their units. :lol:

In almost every other tech field, the idea that you should accept someone's product is cutting edge just because they say it's cutting edge gets you laughed out of the room. :lol: Luckily, guitar has a culture of "what's happening inside this shit is pretty much a black box area" around amps and other noise making devices, so not as many people are willing to point out how blatantly ridiculous Neural's claims are.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,720 Posts
There's a lot of shit that can manipulate sound output in real time based around what is happening at the input stage. It's called "basic logic gates".

Complex systems of basic logic gates, which are also in a lot of pedals and amplifiers, are not at all the same thing as,

"a unique neural network architecture that is capable of autonomously analysing, learning, and replicating an amplifier's sound and dynamic response in a way that's akin to human perception."

·
Not baked anymore.
3,554 Posts
I'm curious how well it can actually pull off 4 "rigs" at once. The AxeFX III can only do two amps at once. Not to go all Fractal fanboy, but I would have to assume Neural is cutting corners or quality in other areas to allow the processing power to pull it off.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I admit the mambo jambo is a over the top and seems aimed to impress someone that has no clue what a Floor Unit is... but so far the so called "best" company with a proven record has totally failed to deliver a product that should had come out like 4-6 months ago? And still no one knows when they will ship it...

So guys give these dudes some slack, lets see what happens. Their VSTs actually sound great.

Oh Im not affiliated or even have bought any of their software ;)

·
Administrator
Guitars.
39,754 Posts
I admit the mambo jambo is a over the top and seems aimed to impress someone that has no clue what a Floor Unit is... but so far the so called "best" company with a proven record has totally failed to deliver a product that should had come out like 4-6 months ago? And still no one knows when they will ship it...
Who/what is that?

21 - 40 of 687 Posts