Metalguitarist.org banner

41 - 60 of 687 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
I haven't followed along because I don't need anything like that, but comparing Neural to Fractal is just a little bit of a reach, no? :lol: I have no interest in any of this shit but I definitely enjoy Garrett deconstructing their ridiculous marketing campaign.

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
I think they both cater to the same market, and Neurals modeling is top notch. Neural is getting $150ish per VST, which is definitely in the Fractal vein of cork sniffing. The inly thing that has yet to be seen is how it's translated to hardware. I'd assume this wasn't engineered in house.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I think they both cater to the same market,.
Disagree. The difference that I see is that Neural only caters to one market. TONS of people who aren't metal guitarists play Fractal stuff. Neural makes 7 plugins.

Tosin VST: Djent
Nolly VST: Djent
Bass VST: Universal
Plini VST: Who?
Fortin NTS: Djent/metal
Fortine Namelss: Same thing
Darglass VST: Djent

Not trying to white knight Fractal here but you can't compare a company with 7 djent plugins to one that has hardware in racks from top players in every genre. Neural certainly loves that comparison though, no doubt. I'm sure they have a marketing team coming up with futuristic sounding verbiage about it right now. :lol:

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
That's fair. The AFX line turned out to have a way more diverse following as it went on (rightfully).

I just meant that djenty kids who spend their college book money on Neural stuff also were of the type to spend their money on AFX/KPA previously. That's opposed to, like, Mooer or L6 that cater to the low end of the market.

·
Registered
0 Posts
That's fair. The AFX line turned out to have a way more diverse following as it went on (rightfully).

I just meant that djenty kids who spend their college book money on Neural stuff also were of the type to spend their money on AFX/KPA previously. That's opposed to, like, Mooer or L6 that cater to the low end of the market.
I'm just gonna be pedantic and say that again, one is a $100 VST, the other is a $2000 processor. A kid scrimping for sweet djent tones isn't going to lose sleep choosing between the Fortin VST and a KPA.

(I get your point though, I'm just being a dink.)

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I haven't followed along because I don't need anything like that, but comparing Neural to Fractal is just a little bit of a reach, no? :lol: I have no interest in any of this shit but I definitely enjoy Garrett deconstructing their ridiculous marketing campaign.
Im not comparing anything... I said the considered Best Company totally fucked up a crucial delivery date...

Also Djent can be played on any gear... just because you buy a "djenty" guitar doesn't mean it wont play play Blues or Fusion or Hardcore pretty well. Its the player not the Gear ;)

·
Registered
0 Posts
Also Djent can be played on any gear... just because you buy a "djenty" guitar doesn't mean it wont play play Blues or Fusion or Hardcore pretty well. Its the player not the Gear ;)
Yes, but Neural has three artists, two of which are djent. Let's not pretend there are blues or fusion guys lining up to buy their shit. :lol:

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Ok if we see it like that then yes. And they would also have Misha is he didnt joined forces on that awful VST that came out last year or so :D

Independently of who their Artist are, their VSTs sound great... they are expensive but sound great.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Ok if we see it like that then yes. And they would also have Misha is he didnt joined forces on that awful VST that came out last year or so :D
He's too busy trying to one-up Dino Cazares in the endorsement hopping department. I assume you mean this? I had to google it. :lol: You know it has the seal of approval when they get someone other than the actual endorser to demo it on their product page.

https://joeysturgistones.com/products/toneforge-misha-mansoor

·
Registered
0 Posts
Im not comparing anything... I said the considered Best Company totally fucked up a crucial delivery date...
Which should be a great cautionary tale for anyone thinking about buying this thing. Who do you think has a better supply chain in place? Who's R&D budget is bigger? Do you think Fractal, a company with hardware everywhere, wants this to be delayed? There's so much R&D that goes into hardware just from a compliance standpoint - it needs to work, be exportable, not burn your house down when you plug it in, etc etc.

Or is it that a handful of guys who make 5 VSTs have it all figured out, and Fractal just can't keep up with them? And that they came up with a brilliant new design for rotary knobs (ahem, sorry) "actuators" that are unbreakable at the same time as having to resort to this nonsense?

The more I read into this thing, the more I want absolutely nothing to do with it solely because of their absurd marketing campaign. When a product needs to add a Powerpoint bullet that its cutting-edge hardware uses the same technology as Nana's holiday casserole dish, you can count me out. :lol:

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
These pricey floorboards would be wise to take a page from the G-System book or, hell, maybe TCE should dust it off. Where they had it right in designing a floorboard that's designed to be gigged with was

1.) Having the option of having the "brain" mounted underneath the foot pedal or mounted in the rack (and it's only 1U!)

2.) If you mount the "brain" in the rack, it connects to the pedal with just one wire. Line 6 also had this right with the rack mount PODs and a single Cat5e to power and communicated with the FBV.

3.) The thing was built like a tank. No, literally. Remember in the promotional video, they literally ran it over with a tank?

·
Registered
0 Posts
I don't really get the appeal of these either. If I am a gigging guitarist, I don't want my entire rig on the floor where it gets stepped on (intentionally or otherwise) and is in the line of fire for spilled beers and whatnot. If I'm not a gigging guitarist (that's me) I want my stuff either in a rack, in my studio desk, or properly on top of my cabinet.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
I think they both cater to the same market, and Neurals modeling is top notch. Neural is getting $150ish per VST, which is definitely in the Fractal vein of cork sniffing. The inly thing that has yet to be seen is how it's translated to hardware. I'd assume this wasn't engineered in house.
Come on dude. This is a case of a company with no physical product released yet putting out their own marketing material that either a) gives the impression they have no idea what they are talking about, b) is outright impossible, c) is vague as fuck, and d) is bragging about things being cutting edge that you could figure out with a google search are not actually cutting edge. Not only that, they are giving a pre-order time frame and quantity that says not only, "well, we're not going to actually order the units from the factory that makes them until people buy them.", which suggests they don't really have as much of a hand in making their products as companies like Fractal or Line 6, but also suggests, with its ridiculous ~1 year time frame, that they are taking pre-orders without even figuring out the logistics of where they are ordering it from.

How do you think the meeting between the Neural people and the people actually making and designing their shit went? I imagine it went something like this.

Manufacturers: "We would be using a quad core CPU..."

Neural: "So you're telling me that this thing pretty much has four brains?"

M: "Yes"

N: "That is going to be the crux of our marketing. An amp with four brains. The average peasant hasn't even dreamed of an amp with that quantity of brains."

M:"Actually sir quad core cpus are quite common.....

N: "Everyone knows the number blows minds. What are the peasants these days running? The average pauper is lucky to even have a core. Now I've been thinking, four brains means it can run four rigs at once, right? That's like Moore's law or something. The number of cores is directly correspondent to the number of rigs it can run at once"

M: "That's not exactly how it works, even a modest modern high spec computer can run something like 72 'rigs' concurrently, four isn't really that impressive, multiple cores can better handle multiple discrete tasks simultaneously in many cases based on a number of other factors, but I wouldn't advertise...

N: "I remember back in the day you had video games where one ape was throwing barrels, now you can have a maximum of four apes throwing barrels. They don't even have to take turns. The world has never seen something like this before."

M: "I don't think you are grasping how processors work..."

N:"someone write that down, four rigs at once. Email Guitar World and tell them we have a four brained amp that can run four rigs at once, this is going to blow minds"

(uncomfortable pause)

N"Now I've been thinking. What's the hot trend at the moment? Integration. That's the hot trend at the moment right? Integration. Fucking integration."

M: "I suppose..."

N: "What if we integrate the footswitch switches with the pots, only make them like, infinity pots, and then we make them unbreakable."

M"Well conventional manufacturing wisdom states that as things grow more complex they grow more fragile, not less, simpler is always more durable, and we are mounting them directly to the circuit boards so...."

N: "Tell guitar world the four brained amp machine has controls that are unbreakable"

M:"But your warranty department will be swamped with..."

N:"When you are at the top of your game, you don't need a warranty department"

M: "Even if none of them broke, I don't know if having people reach down and turn something made out of slippery hard to grip brushed stainless steel they have been stepping on all the time is appealing. It seems kind of dirty."

N:"Let me tell you something. It doesn't seem dirty, it seems high class. In europe they integrate everything. Toilets and sinks are a single unit. In deep europe, sometimes they even have combination toilet/sink/washer/dryer units. Integrating the rotary controls with the stomp switches is an act of genius. I am the next Steve Jobs, trust me on this.

N:"Now lets talk about architecture. I want Shark. Preferably as many Sharks as possible. The Sharks each have four brains. So if we have four sharks we have sixteen brains.

M: "SHARC is an acronym, not an actual marine carnivore, and furthermore SHARC isn't exactly cutting edge proprietary tech. Do you think we should be upfront about running sharc architecture? Do you really think consumers won't google any of the actual technical specifications and discover this looks more like an amateurishly reverse engineered version of last generation units like the Axe-FX II? It seems counter intuitive to state everything is a proprietary act of genius when..."

N:"WAIT, you're right. Do you have an architecture named after a more impressive animal? Like a fierce hunting cat or something. Maybe a tiger?"

M:"I think we should focus on the actual nature of the architecture rather than the acronym"

N: "People don't care about stuff like that, they only care about acronyms. People don't buy products based on their merits. You just throw fancy sounding acronyms at them until their wallets come out. How do think we won the Cold War? Acronyms."

M: "Acronyms?"

N: "Acronyms."

·
I am Groot
32,447 Posts

Caption contest.

"...sigh. One misstep, face-first, and it's all over."
Hundreds of hours of R&D has gone into our quest to eliminate the JBAF concept.

·
Arrr, Matey!
1,798 Posts
Which should be a great cautionary tale for anyone thinking about buying this thing. Who do you think has a better supply chain in place? Who's R&D budget is bigger? Do you think Fractal, a company with hardware everywhere, wants this to be delayed? There's so much R&D that goes into hardware just from a compliance standpoint - it needs to work, be exportable, not burn your house down when you plug it in, etc etc.

Or is it that a handful of guys who make 5 VSTs have it all figured out, and Fractal just can't keep up with them? And that they came up with a brilliant new design for rotary knobs (ahem, sorry) "actuators" that are unbreakable at the same time as having to resort to this nonsense?
Chris, to be fair the CEO for Neural is the guy who started Darkglass Electronics which has done a lot of cool shit over the last 10 years on the bass side of the world. Normally he has been pretty good at getting his products out on the market - you can find them at all the major retailers in the US, and they are immensely popular.

On a side note, this made me realize I signed up for the FM3 waitlist back in April and I was wondering what was actually going on with it... I guess now I know :lol:

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
Honest question since I fancy myself a bass player but I don't use anything newer than the last 40 years. Isn't the Darkglass stuff bass djent gear?

41 - 60 of 687 Posts