Metalguitarist.org banner

81 - 100 of 687 Posts

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
Sounded like camera mics, so hard to judge but I'll agree with the sock guy that the the first tone sounded pretty good at a minimum. I still wouldn't spend $1600 on that thing and step on it.

·
Thread Killer
2,196 Posts
That's what I was getting at, it doesn't sound bad at all, but definitely no better than I've been getting mimetically from the actuators of my Kemper unibody for the last 6 years. Having said that, I am desperate to be able to run two rigs at once as there's a blend of amps I use for my main rhythm tone that I wish I could run simultaneously (via multiple cabs, obviously).

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Sounded like camera mics, so hard to judge but I'll agree with the sock guy that the the first tone sounded pretty good at a minimum. I still wouldn't spend $1600 on that thing and step on it.
"You can't judge the sound because camera mics" :lol:

Have you seen the production values on their fucking high budget youtube ad? :lol:

The only time you use camera mics is when
a) Camera mics are all you have, or it's a really casual situation (e.g., not a "claiming you have the most advanced modeler ever, available for ~$2000" situation)
b) You purposefully want to use the excuse "camera mics were hampering me" when people point out your shit isn't that great

I specifically like how their classic rock crunch is just the djent tone with slightly less gain.

I mean, yeah, it sounds adequate.

You can also get the same sounds on amp sims running on a Raspberry Pi 4.

Which starts at $35.

Take a wild guess how many cores the Raspberry Pi 4 has.

"Well.....it sounded decent on camera mics......", falls somewhat short of their claim of "the most powerful modeler ever created".

That's like if I claimed I had developed the most advanced camera ever, and then when it was time to show proof I was like, "IT'S THE MOST ADVANCED CAMERA EVER, UNFORTUNATELY I COULD ONLY TAKE PICTURES OF THINGS THROUGH FOGGED UP WINDOWS TO PROVE IT TO YOU."

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
I was just referring to the most recent YT video that was posted. I didn't watch any of the other marketing fluff videos because I'm not buying one, I detest their schtick and I don't want to give them the clicks. I only watched the clip I did because somebody mentioned one of the tones sounding "good" so I was curious what his idea of "good" is.

Most amps and most modelers sound like shit from a single mic, especially the "one inch from the grill, pointed straight at the cone" type of demos. I've heard $2000 vintage tube amps sound like a Pocket POD because the frequency spectrum and attack of the mic outside of any context is so limited.

Rarely you can pick out a good tone regardless of context and I was just saying that first tone was one. Everything else, no idea. Could've been live amps and they still sound like cheap butt through that mic setup. I'm sure Ola's going to get one of these and every patch is going to sound 1000%. I'm still not buying one and stepping on it.

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
I mean, what did you expect? For free or for $1600, a well-made sim of a 5150 will still just sound like a 5150.
I was faced with that when I bought the Bias Head. It's essentially the Bias Amp you can get for infinitely less on PC or even less on a fuckin' iPad. At the end of the day, I liked the idea of putting those tones into a box I can throw under my arm and plug into a reasonably accessible cabinet at a gig or friend's house. For what I paid (I would NOT have paid new price), it's worth it not carrying a fragile laptop or iPad and fragile squid/dongle to plug it in.

Putting the unit directly on the floor, either at a gig or drinking beer at my friend's house, is dangerous. Stepping on or kicking cords, spilling shit, stepping on the LCD screen, etc. That knob on the top left absolute does NOT look waterproof.

It's essentially the same conundrum I faced with the Bias Head, is it worth having an "all in one amp box" (these days, the technology is good enough that pretty much all pedals in that price range are equally convincing tone-wise) versus just using the desktop app or a free VST? Maybe when they're used and the price drops off 75% but $1700+ new just because of some deceptive marketing schtick? No.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
I was just referring to the most recent YT video that was posted. I didn't watch any of the other marketing fluff videos because I'm not buying one, I detest their schtick and I don't want to give them the clicks. I only watched the clip I did because somebody mentioned one of the tones sounding "good" so I was curious what his idea of "good" is.

Most amps and most modelers sound like shit from a single mic, especially the "one inch from the grill, pointed straight at the cone" type of demos. I've heard $2000 vintage tube amps sound like a Pocket POD because the frequency spectrum and attack of the mic outside of any context is so limited.

Rarely you can pick out a good tone regardless of context and I was just saying that first tone was one. Everything else, no idea. Could've been live amps and they still sound like cheap butt through that mic setup. I'm sure Ola's going to get one of these and every patch is going to sound 1000%. I'm still not buying one and stepping on it.
Well, yeah, amp sims run on anything have sounded good enough to pass for the real thing if used competently since like 2008.

I wouldn't worry about giving them clicks. You can buy a billion clicks worth of interaction for $10. Every for profit company out there is juicing their numbers, and even the ones that aren't are definitely open to it. It's no different from buying ad space in this day and age, you are paying for exposure.

Even disregarding the clicks, every company pays/bribes instagram influencers to hawk their shit. It's no different in the guitar industry.

Credit where credit is due, Neural is much better at deftly navigating contemporary advertising practices than they are developing DSP.

I'd be curious to see the pie chart of how much they pay for advertising and promo shit vs how much they pay for stuff like "algorithm development", I suspect that would be quite an eye opener. There's no denying the people behind shit like Neural are extremely talented hype men. Like, putting Flava Flav out of business level talented.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
That's actually the single worst thing about contemporaneous modern metal social media culture. In the beginning, it was like, "Oh shit, I can tune into this regular guys channel and see what a real person thinks of this product.".

It's 100% not like that anymore. It runs on this huge circular engine of quid pro quo. A "you hype my shit and I'll hype yours". You look at the endorsers for any product like Neural and it's like, fuck.

You think 70% of those guys even fucking like the product? Fuck no. They have to play the game or they will get cut out of the exposure loop and relegated to obscurity.

That's why the vast majority of the products in this category have a page of "Artists who love our shit" that is the exact same 40-60 people as every other product in the field. The entire thing runs on a mutually beneficial arrangement of "You give us exposure and we'll give you exposure".

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Corrected. I know what at least one of these guys charges per 'review'.
Basically the same thing though. Modern influencer culture has only two types of transaction, converting cash to exposure, and converting exposure back into cash.

I imagine you have to be a certain level of monetized youtuber to straight up ask for cash, but there is obviously a conversion rate of $->Exposure. Most of the lower echelons probably can't straight up ask for cash until they prove their star power.

That's like the shit position I guess, but there are never ending masses of people who buy products like this waiting to break into the lower echelons themselves.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,764 Posts
Corrected. I know what at least one of these guys charges per 'review'.
Not sure if this is who you're thinking of, but Pete Thorn openly advertises his rates.

·
Not baked anymore.
3,555 Posts
That distorted clip sounded like a DS-1 into a Metalzone and the clean one sounded like like a D.I. with a modulated delay. Camera mic or not, I can't say I dug either of those tones. I have no doubt they'll have some great tones in the thing, especially if they allow users to import IR's (I haven't read all the specs, maybe they've already said that). I'm still doubting the ability to run 4 separate rigs without sacrificing quality in other areas. Admittedly, it's coming from my Fractal fanboy POV and Fractal limiting the AxeFX III to two amps in a preset or 1 amp in the upcoming FM3. I've been wrong plenty of times in my life, so time will tell.

They're in for a world of shit if they can't ship these in the time they're quoting now. Fractal hasn't even taken money for the FM3 and I've never seen such childish behavior from adults who feel entitled to it. If the Neural gets delayed even a week they're going to have every djent kid and their mother's calling them up and flipping the fuck out.

·
Mutes the Meat
10,235 Posts
"You can't judge the sound because camera mics" :lol:

Have you seen the production values on their fucking high budget youtube ad? :lol:

The only time you use camera mics is when
a) Camera mics are all you have, or it's a really casual situation (e.g., not a "claiming you have the most advanced modeler ever, available for ~$2000" situation)
b) You purposefully want to use the excuse "camera mics were hampering me" when people point out your shit isn't that great

I specifically like how their classic rock crunch is just the djent tone with slightly less gain.

I mean, yeah, it sounds adequate.

You can also get the same sounds on amp sims running on a Raspberry Pi 4.

Which starts at $35.

Take a wild guess how many cores the Raspberry Pi 4 has.

"Well.....it sounded decent on camera mics......", falls somewhat short of their claim of "the most powerful modeler ever created".

That's like if I claimed I had developed the most advanced camera ever, and then when it was time to show proof I was like, "IT'S THE MOST ADVANCED CAMERA EVER, UNFORTUNATELY I COULD ONLY TAKE PICTURES OF THINGS THROUGH FOGGED UP WINDOWS TO PROVE IT TO YOU."
That's the problem with this shit :lol:

Raspberry Pis aren't metal.

Talking about CPU perfomance is not metal.

Whining about dumb boring shit on YouTube is not metal.

Making electrons dance around wildly in a glass tube is metal. Not having a clue how or why that works but it sounds fucking awesome is metal.

Navigating fucking menus is not metal.

Turning the heavy knob up is metal.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Basically the same thing though. Modern influencer culture has only two types of transaction, converting cash to exposure, and converting exposure back into cash.

I imagine you have to be a certain level of monetized youtuber to straight up ask for cash, but there is obviously a conversion rate of $->Exposure. Most of the lower echelons probably can't straight up ask for cash until they prove their star power.

That's like the shit position I guess, but there are never ending masses of people who buy products like this waiting to break into the lower echelons themselves.
Aren't you guys all glad that i only sold you all out for a BMW? Twice. :woohoo:

·
Registered
0 Posts
Sold out for a fucking 3 series :lol:
You Brobandoned us for like 5 years, you don't get to be salty. :lol:

Edit: Two 3-series btw. I loved both cars. 100k+ on the coupe and all I ever did to it was change the oil and put on a set of tires. The wagon was fucking awesome too, it was the M-sport with all the snazzy handling shit. It sucked ass to get a baby seat in and out of so I ended up trading it in on an X4->X6.

ss.org:

this shitshow:

djent FTW

81 - 100 of 687 Posts