Metalguitarist.org banner

121 - 140 of 687 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
It sounds like a pod. :lol: I don't get why anyone would buy this thing instead of a Fractal/KPA at that price point, or over a pod if they're on a budget. :lol:

It's like buying the Invictus for twice the price of a 5150. :nuts:

·
Premium Member
1,224 Posts
There was a video of two guys one on top of the other and stepping on the Buttons to show how sturdy it was...
I know that almost all innovations are initally popularised in the gay community, but Neural really will stoop to any low in marketing won't they?

:clint:

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
Yeah, I was pow-wowing with a buddy of mine who's a djenter and even owns some Neural stuff, and he was TRASHING this thing last night. The Darkglass stuff is legit. The Neural VSTs are legit. These demos sound like fucking garbage. They're pushing the fact these are early/beta tests but seriously, if they sound THIS BAD, nothing is better than something. Absolute whiff.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,764 Posts

·
ya boi
ESP, Kemper, Marshall
946 Posts

Here's one by Choptones, who are generally pretty reliable at getting good tones. Idk, to me it sounds fine, but that's it, it's fine. I don't really see what it's doing that hasn't been covered by the Kemper, Axe-FX, or Helix. Do I really want to spend $1800 on something that sounds just like everything else and doesn't have much feature-wise that makes it stand out (besides having so much going on in the case that's just begging to break and stop working).

·
Tune It Lower
1,114 Posts
That sounds good to me :shrug:
I guess I'm the only one kinda juiced about this. :smoking:

• The processing power is huge (the Axe/FX AX8 or Kemper floor unit can't touch it) for running multiple live signal paths + gapless switching, delay/reverb tails, etc.
  • It's damn compact, seriously it can go on a pedal board and not hog like the other full-fledged modelers
  • It's got DAW type processing right in there, parametric EQs, multiband compressors, stuff that's tough to get right on a pedalboard
  • Touch screen is a pretty dope way of editing, the 10 encoder option is great if you don't dig that
  • A couple of built-in loops (I'd prefer a few more, but still nice again given it's size, AX8 wins here)
  • Kinda a minor thing, but a built in headphone jack is great for practice
  • $1600 is some scratch, but really not out of line for what you're getting
  • The hardware side is being built by Darkglass, which if you own any of their pedals, are excellently built

·
Is Actually Recording
32,764 Posts
I guess I'm the only one kinda juiced about this. :smoking:

• The processing power is huge (the Axe/FX floor unit can't touch it) for running multiple live signal paths + gapless switching, delay/reveb tails, etc.
  • It's damn compact, seriously it can go on a pedal board and not hog like the other full-fledged modelers
  • It's got DAW type processing right in there, parametric EQs, multiband compressors, stuff that's tough to get right on a pedalboard
  • Touch screen is a pretty dope way of editing
  • A couple of built in loops (I'd prefer a few more, but still nice again given it's size, AX8 wins here)
  • Kinda a minor thing, but a built in headphone jack is great for practice
  • $1600 is some scratch, but really not out of line for what you're getting
  • The hardware side is being built by Darkglass, which if you own any of their pedals, are excellently built
Don't know if you've been around long enough to remember engage, but he's their head of marketing or something I gather. That's a pretty good reason to steer clear.

·
Tune It Lower
1,114 Posts
Don't know if you've been around long enough to remember engage, but he's their head of marketing or something I gather. That's a pretty good reason to steer clear.
No idea. I'm not preordering or anything. Everything new is good to wait and sit on the market for a bit. Neural's plug-ins bring the sauce, however, and Doug's Darkglass products are impeccably made. On paper, anyway, that doesn't sound like a bad match. I just like that it's not a pig like the kneecapped AX8 and Kemper units.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I just like that it's not a pig like the kneecapped AX8 and Kemper units.
What does that even mean? :lol:

You've full on bought into the hype on this thing, eh? When a new product comes out that's marketed with 95% nonsensical bullshit and then it levels both barrels at the industry leaders, you just eat that shit right up? :lol:

The processing power is huge (the Axe/FX AX8 or Kemper floor unit can't touch it) for running multiple live signal paths + gapless switching, delay/reverb tails, etc.
I've no idea how much more powerful it is than the Fractal or the Kemper, but I own both of those and they are both fucking fantastic. Are you doing a lot of live playing where the zillion different processing and routing options that you can pull off with an Axe-fx aren't enough? If so, I'd love to hear some clips of your band. Because otherwise it sounds like you're just parroting the marketing pitch that they're pitching the djent crowd. :lol:

·
Super Moderator
13,446 Posts
I've owned the AX8 for about 7-8 months and programmed a ton of awesome-sounding presets on it, some of them with as many as 10 effects (though most only have 2 or 3), but I've never thought "I need more power" and the AX8 is essentially the Axe-FX 2 in a smaller housing with less processing power so it can be a floor unit. But I used to own the Axe-FX Ultra and I never needed more processing power with that either. I have plugged the AX8 into AX8 Edit and seen the heaviest of the presets I've made gets to 85% CPU when I'm laying into it (even tube amps work harder when you're playing heavy full chords), but that just makes me more confident that I'd never need more than that.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
I've no idea how much more powerful it is than the Fractal or the Kemper, but I own both of those and they are both fucking fantastic.
Yeah, but neither of your shitty units are going to be updated with new models/firmware FOR ETERNITY. (Yes, this is from Nerual's official FAQ https://neuraldsp.com/quad-cortex/#faqs)

A less bold company would have gone with something like, "for the forseeable future" or "for the duration of the products lifecycle", but not Neural. This is getting updated FOR ETERNITY.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I mean I'm sure this thing will sound decent, because even the shittiest most Line 6 stuff out there still sounds pretty damn good these days. I have a 5150 sim in my iPhone that sounds decent enough to record with for pete's sake. :lol:

I just don't get how anyone can take this fuckin' thing seriously when every scrap of marketing is from Engage's monthly issue of Djent Playbook 101: What To Ask Your Parents For at Christmas.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Also, the "Neural won a Music Radar award for best of NAMM, so you know it's legit, Music Radar is a legit site, right" thing is hilarious. Especially considering that the amount of great opinions from NAMM haven't exactly been free flowing.

I saw a couple people counter that with, "Music radar is owned by the massive Future PLC conglomerate and you can buy advertising in an editorial format. You can essentially pay for them to give you awards and it looks semi legit."

I read that and thought, "No, I'm a Neural doubter, but there is no way something so brazen could be true."

Turns out it is. :lol:

They certainly aren't the only company doing it. :lol: So be careful with those "Best of NAMM" lists. Because a lot of companies do sell advertising space in a editorial/faux journalistic format.

·
Guitar noob
2,202 Posts
Also, the "Neural won a Music Radar award for best of NAMM, so you know it's legit, Music Radar is a legit site, right" thing is hilarious. Especially considering that the amount of great opinions from NAMM haven't exactly been free flowing.

I saw a couple people counter that with, "Music radar is owned by the massive Future PLC conglomerate and you can buy advertising in an editorial format. You can essentially pay for them to give you awards and it looks semi legit."

I read that and thought, "No, I'm a Neural doubter, but there is no way something so brazen could be true."

Turns out it is.

They certainly aren't the only company doing it.
So be careful with those "Best of NAMM" lists. Because a lot of companies do sell advertising space in a editorial/faux journalistic format.
Damn my jigg is up, I paid to become best YouTube personality for the past 2 years!

121 - 140 of 687 Posts