Metalguitarist.org banner

161 - 180 of 687 Posts

·
Not baked anymore.
3,554 Posts
Doesn't matter, the important thing is that a whole band could be running through one unit.
That is a fantastic feature.

Instead of bringing 3 units of whatever... just one... So convinient.

I made this suggestion in Kemper user group on Facebook, and oh boy did it fire up some insane butthurt Kemper Fanboys :lol:

I like the Kemper, and I know you do too Chris, but seriously... I never realized how fucking stubborn and "proud" people are over the original Kemper.

Why would it be a bad thing if Kemper 2.0 featured multisignal paths for a whole band to play through it?
They don't need to use it.

And some people are just fucking stupid. They dont even understand what I'm saying; they are going like:
"it would sound shit if bass player had the same profile as guitarist derrppp"
"you are the type of person who thinks you can connect several guitars to one input? loool"

1. It's DIFFERENT amp profiles and FX for everone
2. It's multiple inputs for different insturments
You can only run 2 amps in the AxeFX III. I suppose you use all the inputs, but you're limited in the tones you'd get out of everything. This was actually my biggest point when I doubted the quality of everything else in the Neural. If Fractal isn't willing to lessen the quality of everything else for the sake of more amps-per-preset/scene, I'm sure there's a good reason for it.

I got called a twat on Neural's FB ad for this thing because I mentioned how I would be concerned about fucking up the encoder/footswitches with dirt/mud/melting snow. Gotta love kids defending a product that's not even out yet, using technology never road tested before.

·
Forum MVP
4,769 Posts
Nothing like creating a product that can be obsolete months after it hit the market, during a pandemic, for a customer base that is known for being fickle, made by people who have never mass produced electronic products.

I just :popcorn:

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
They did get a 5 million investment like 2 weeks ago, so clearly somebody still believes in the product.

·
Administrator
Guitars.
39,754 Posts

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
They did get a 5 million investment like 2 weeks ago, so clearly somebody still believes in the product.
Low bar considering that lane are all about selling people hype, but yes, there are people 'invested'.

FWIW, I expect a pedal to be released. Might even sound good. But considering the gear hype-train that THESE specific people have been pulling along for years (ie: BRJ, Protone, the Invective, etc.), super hyping a product and releasing incremental teasers, then one big release years out and missing that date is NOT a good look. If anything, an early adopter beta that would be in the hands of anyone besides Influencers would be a lot better than pushing back a full pre-order release and still changing the hardware AND software leading up to it.

·
Forum MVP
4,769 Posts
The purest distillation of the BRJ Black Friday Sale of processors.
Distilled in the purest glacial ice melt off that was then filtered through the skinniest of black skinny jeans, unwashed and ripe with djentastic essence.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #170
Not to defend the guys but you all know the Entire World is facing a HUGE Pandemic Crisis (or we are lead to believe it) that totally changed everything and the worst economically wise is yet still to come, right? Everything is delayed. I have items on my Thomann basket for 3+ months that keep saying: Expected delivery in 10-12 weeks since the day I added them.

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
Not to defend the guys but you all know the Entire World is facing a HUGE Pandemic Crisis (or we are lead to believe it) that totally changed everything and the worst economically wise is yet still to come, right? Everything is delayed. I have items on my Thomann basket for 3+ months that keep saying: Expected delivery in 10-12 weeks since the day I added them.
Like I said, I haven't been following this closely but they just announced moving back tier 1 two days ago when it's supposed to ship in just a couple weeks. I'm sure they knew sooner than that they'd miss the deadline, and also, making the announcement alongside hardware/software changes is asking for speculation. It just stinks, it's gonna be close to year (assuming they DO release end of November) since the NAMM appearance and the only people who've touch it are the Olas, Rabeas, Tosins, Gear Gods, etc. I'm sure they've got 100 working units laying somewhere to go to the first 100 preorders to at least confirm these exist.

·
Administrator
Guitars.
39,754 Posts
I haven't been following, but the usual Cycle Of Influencer Shit means missed deadlines, "prototypes" sent to people who can fart into a kazoo and make it sound awesome, and then a bunch of promises of huge improvements during the delays. Are these covid-related production delays? Are they engineering delays? Or they just the standard delays that happen when a company hypes something to death that isn't actually ready?

·
Drunk Canuck
1,538 Posts
I haven't been following, but the usual Cycle Of Influencer Shit means missed deadlines, "prototypes" sent to people who can fart into a kazoo and make it sound awesome, and then a bunch of promises of huge improvements during the delays. Are these covid-related production delays? Are they engineering delays? Or they just the standard delays that happen when a company hypes something to death that isn't actually ready?
I think it's the latter while blaming the former.

I like Fractals approach honestly. "Hey, keep your money for now and just shoot us an email and we'll respond when we can sell you one."

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
Reminds me a lot of the Headrush or Bias Head, TBH. I'm not expecting a full BRJ fuck-job, but I think a year gap between influencer spam and anyone actually getting the item (along with delays and some 'updates') sounds like there's some concerns on the quality of the product when it gets delivered. Eventually the product gets delivered and there's some firmware issues or it just flatout sounds like crap, second wave orders dry up and the company has no financial incentive to float it any longer, so the units become obsolete in short order.

Not saying it's a certainty but it's out there, it's happened. I just absolutely HATE leaking stuff to influencers, double and triple when you're going to have that big a gap and so many changes before you ship to anyone in the general public.

·
Super Moderator
8,924 Posts
I like Fractals approach honestly. "Hey, keep your money for now and just shoot us an email and we'll respond when we can sell you one."
Fractal is owned and run by an actual *engineer* who has real-world experience in exotic, kooky disciplines like "product development" and "project management."

I love the Neural plugins I have, and clearly there is some advanced expertise going on somewhere in their development system. Hardware development is quite another thing, though. So many different areas of knowledge needed, along with things like supply chains, procurement, vendor management, etc. etc. A handful of Finnish hipster dudes and their influencer buddies might not be the best situated to run that...

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,720 Posts
Luckily for Neural they made sure to announce multiple times back around March, when it was very clear that there were going to be delays because of Covid, that they were confident there were not going to be delays because of Covid. Presumably to really nail the image of a company that is just forestalling the inevitable realization that their product can't live up to the hype with a long series of reassurances.

I'm kind of pulling for them at this point to beat the odds, when a company spends a products entire pre-release cycle kicking the can down the road with the old "well, if we say this, it will get them off our back and buy us another two months before people are inquiring about what is going on" strategy, it's almost never a good sign. So maybe they will be the exception to the rule.

Also the "well, we can't judge this within the context of an event within a larger pattern of behavior, this is an isolated event, an isolated event that is furthermore affecting everyone" thing is never a good look unless you have to. That's like, criminal law 101. Pulling the old, "well, this incident, while taken in context with a pattern of past behavior doesn't look good, but I am imploring the court to look at it as an isolated incident, not within the timeline of other incidents".

Because, while it is super effective at dodging the heat for one specific event, it is also implicitly admitting that taken within the timeline of other events, it does in fact look really bad.

I'm pulling for them to beat the odds. :lol: But this is like, an incredibly overt, textbook case of a protracted "kicking the can down the road to put off the obvious consequences til later" product (pre)release.

·
Super Moderator
8,924 Posts
I'm pulling for them to beat the odds. :lol: But this is like, an incredibly overt, textbook case of a protracted "kicking the can down the road to put off the obvious consequences til later" product (pre)release.
This raises another comical side to this.

Product development is probably fraught with delays 99 percent of the time. Mundane stuff like components not being available or not performing to specifications, unexpected software complications, or contract manufacturing being tough to find at the right price point, quantity level or turnaround time.

Which is why boring old-fart companies NOT run by Finnish hipster dudes don't announce new products before completing development. A good rule of thumb is to not start selling something that doesn't exist yet.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #178
I was curious on them before I knew the price of the Unit... when I got info on it I choose the Fractal FM3... still waiting for a confirmation email apart from the one saying that I'm on the List... but that was in January :D

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,720 Posts
That's not a good sign at all. :lol: Especially if it was from the Chinese Noveau Rich elite.

Within the context of the "obviously circling the drain" thing going on here, it's one of the standard stages. Both Theranos and WeWork pulled it several times.

Did they seriously announce that? :lol: Idiots. That only looks good to people who would believe things like, "People threw money at us, that means we know what we are doing, people never throw money at companies circling the drain, right?".

I'm assuming by investment you mean "sold a stake". Why a company on the cusp of releasing a product that gamechanging would need $5 million, especially at a stage where it looks like they are having a lot of trouble getting their product out, is a red flag. Considering they assured everyone it is "good to go". Just hasn't been manufactured yet. The updates constantly waffling between "the product is good to go" and "the delays just mean it will be more advanced" are not encouraging either. The product is good to go, it just hasn't been manufactured yet, but at the same time you should be thankful for the delays because it means the revisions are only getting more mindblowingly distilled?

Releasing an incredibly stupid overhyped product with an embarrassing ultra public development cycle touting something that isn't actually that good isn't actually that bad for a company. It's not knowing when to pull the plug on it that is more damaging. At this point we're at least 9-10 months past the "someone should have pulled the plug on this" stage.

161 - 180 of 687 Posts