Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...because they just played a hell of a show at the Trocadero. :yesway:

Warrel was not 100% tonight, but I think that he got some good rest for his pipes (or indeed was sick and is almost over it) because he put on a great show. He interacted with the audience a lot more, and the whole band was digging it. His voice croaked and cut out a few times, but it was nothing like Friday night.

Jeff blew a string or something really early on and switched to an old gloss black TOM Schecter V which he played for the rest of the gig. The whole band was really on and grooving with each other and the crowd.

Attila played more solos, too. I counted four full-on solos, plus lots of good fill parts.

Cheers to Eric (Zero) for a free ticket and some good guitar nerd talk, and cheers to Harpoon. :yesway:

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jim also fell backward over the monitors and laid there playing for so long that someone came over and helped him up. I couldn't tell if he was being funny (he never stops smiling... what a guy) or if he was stricken with some pain from his Crohn's. :(

·
Dook dook dook
2,434 Posts
I had a blast at the show last night!

The main person Warrell was interacting with at the show was a kid named Will and his girlfriend Laura, both were total whores on the Nevermore forum. He's usually at the Philly shows, and I knew he was there when Warrell couldn't help but laugh and point when singing the line "Forget will!":lol:

Sad to see that Warrell was still feeling sick. This is the second time in a row - 5 years apart - that he had a cold before the show.

What guitar was Attila playing? At first I thought he was playing one of Jeff's black sigs, but it wasn't.

Also, I picked a good place to stand, got to shake hands with Jim Sheppard, the singer from Warbringer, and a couple of the guys from Blackguard as well.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What guitar was Attila playing? At first I thought he was playing one of Jeff's black sigs, but it wasn't.

Also, I picked a good place to stand, got to shake hands with Jim Sheppard, the singer from Warbringer, and a couple of the guys from Blackguard as well.
I mean it was basically a Loomis sig with a gloss finish, and I think some binding with a simple white graphic on the front. I would suppose it's a custom Schecter, which would imply he's just borrowing it for now since their turnaround likely isn't that fast. Does Jeff play Schecter USAs, or does he play off-the-shelf Loomis sigs generally?

The only correct place to stand was as close to Loomis as possible, so presumably you saw me. I was the guy with, y'know, the blue shirt? :p I need to get some MG.org swag.

I thought Johnsen was going to be there too, but I didn't notice him amongst the other 500 guys with long hair and black shirts.

·
Dook dook dook
2,434 Posts
I mean it was basically a Loomis sig with a gloss finish, and I think some binding with a simple white graphic on the front. I would suppose it's a custom Schecter, which would imply he's just borrowing it for now since their turnaround likely isn't that fast. Does Jeff play Schecter USAs, or does he play off-the-shelf Loomis sigs generally?

The only correct place to stand was as close to Loomis as possible, so presumably you saw me. I was the guy with, y'know, the blue shirt? :p I need to get some MG.org swag.

I thought Johnsen was going to be there too, but I didn't notice him amongst the other 500 guys with long hair and black shirts.
I was standing to the right of the sound booth, I like getting the mix and view from a few paces back personally. I had a hoodie with a giant green skull on it, couldn't miss me :lol:

I can't tell what Attila was playing, it was glossy with a white graphic on it, but the back and sides were a natural color. The headstock also looked to be too skinny to be a Schecter.

Also, side note... Hatesphere and Blackguard played through the same 5150 III's last night and they had the best tone of the whole show. Didn't help my GAS for a 5150 III for sure. They just sounded so perfect

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I can't tell what Attila was playing, it was glossy with a white graphic on it, but the back and sides were a natural color. The headstock also looked to be too skinny to be a Schecter.

Also, side note... Hatesphere and Blackguard played through the same 5150 III's last night and they had the best tone of the whole show. Didn't help my GAS for a 5150 III for sure. They just sounded so perfect
It was definitely a Schecter of some kind, again even with the gothic cross inlays. Noodles surmised that it was likely one of Jeff's personal guitars, which makes a lot of sense as Attila only recently came to the States.

Was Attila playing an EVH 5150 III? It was some kind of 5150. He did sound quite awesome; both of them were running through Engl cabs like in DC. I thought Warrel could have been a touch louder or more present in the mix - the sound at Jaxx was a bit better, though I noticed the Troc has a huge pile of expensive EAW FOH speakers.

I thought Warbringer sounded killer, but I missed Hatesphere and Blackguard again.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
He'd be the other guy not wearing black!
There was a 400 lb ********* next to me wearing yellow, does he fit that description? Approximately 2 Noodles in both height and width. :lol:

BTW FWIW Warrel is saying over at the Nevermore forums that he was having diabetic issues at Jaxx and made it sound like they had just been fighting beforehand or something. :shrug:

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
Good to hear they're doing better, although I still have my doubts about the excuses being floated. I bet there was a band meeting involved.

Jim also fell backward over the monitors and laid there playing for so long that someone came over and helped him up. I couldn't tell if he was being funny (he never stops smiling... what a guy) or if he was stricken with some pain from his Crohn's. :(
Jim falling over on stage is almost something of a tradition at this point. The last tour stop at Jaxx, Jim fell over and took Warrel with him. Warrel is literally in the middle of a line, takes a step back, and falls over Jim, almost taking Broderick out in the process. Then Jeff bagged a part because he was laughing his fool head off. :lol:

·
Good news, Everyone!
1,528 Posts
It was definitely a Schecter of some kind, again even with the gothic cross inlays. Noodles surmised that it was likely one of Jeff's personal guitars, which makes a lot of sense as Attila only recently came to the States.

Was Attila playing an EVH 5150 III? It was some kind of 5150. He did sound quite awesome; both of them were running through Engl cabs like in DC. I thought Warrel could have been a touch louder or more present in the mix - the sound at Jaxx was a bit better, though I noticed the Troc has a huge pile of expensive EAW FOH speakers.

I thought Warbringer sounded killer, but I missed Hatesphere and Blackguard again.
Nope, Attila was playing a regular 5150.Maybe another one of Jeff's amps, I know their first albums were recorded on 5150s.

also, I wonder why Jeff took the logo plate off of his Savage... Is he still ENGL endorsed? I assume he is.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nope, Attila was playing a regular 5150.Maybe another one of Jeff's amps, I know their first albums were recorded on 5150s.

also, I wonder why Jeff took the logo plate off of his Savage... Is he still ENGL endorsed? I assume he is.
Good observation, I thought something looked funny about that amp! It was br00tal because you could really see the evil red tubes inside. I can't believe he'd take the name plate off if they dropped their endorsement of them for some reason... and I can't believe they'd drop Jeff Loomis either.

And I kind of thought Attila's was a plain old 5150, but I couldn't tell.

Maybe it just fell off? Can't see how it's secured, but it's not exactly screwed in.

·
Pallin' around
9,532 Posts

When I saw them here in Denver two weeks ago, their cabs weren't mic'ed. So I think they ran Axe FX to FOH and then monitored themselves with their cabs. That is all that I could figure. Their tone was CRUSHING though.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
When I saw them here in Denver two weeks ago, their cabs weren't mic'ed. So I think they ran Axe FX to FOH and then monitored themselves with their cabs. That is all that I could figure. Their tone was CRUSHING though.
They didn't maybe have a cab backstage? The Engl cabs each had mics on them at both of the gigs I saw, and there wasn't a piece of Fractal gear in sight.

·
Lord Super Awesome
5,701 Posts
Jeff is still endorsed by engl.

Attila's guitar is schecter hellraiser C7 w/ a maple board.
His amp for this tour is a 5150. I haven't asked him why he's using it because he normally uses his orange rockerverb.

·
Pallin' around
9,532 Posts
They didn't maybe have a cab backstage? The Engl cabs each had mics on them at both of the gigs I saw, and there wasn't a piece of Fractal gear in sight.
They definitely both had the Axe Fx in their racks when I saw them. The place they played at doesn't have room backstage (I've played their twice before), so I don't see where they would have put another cab. Maybe they change the setup depending on the venue?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.