Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was about to go all Tom Scholz and spend the next 10 years mixing it, but fuck it, here it is: the new album I've spent the last five years working on:

https://councilofone.bandcamp.com/album/profit-and-loss

It mixes songs inspired by my two sons with others dedicated to some of those I've lost over the last couple years. The trick is that the two main songs for my sons are the "deeper" ones, while the songs for the deceased are upbeat and "snappy."

If you want to get right to the epic shit, the centerpiece of the album is "*******'s Song." I spent almost a year of evenings working on it.

Not much in the way of metal content. That's coming up, now that I've released this one into the wild.

·
Premium Member
8,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
By the way, I turned off that annoying "are you buying my album" pop-up screening on my Bandcamp page. I didn't even know they'd started doing that. I don't want people prevented from streaming my music. Buy it if you love it, but I'm not going to pull paywall crap.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
I've been listening to this all day. Really enjoying the variety of stuff you have going on here.

·
Premium Member
8,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Can I get a patch for my patch vest?

One with a skull with fog pouring out of the eye sockets or something cool like that.
I like how you think I have a merch budget. :lol:

- Jazz for Jaz and Elder Son :yesway:

- Duet with Ian 1 and 2 thats some really tripping music :)
The jazzier side of this album, for sure. The bass line on "Elder Son" is a sort of lullaby drone I sang to my son Ian at bedtime when he was a baby. He's more punk than jazz these days, but I wanted his song to be centered around that line.

The two Ian duets are just that. When he was three, I sat him down on my lap at the keyboard, pressed record, and just let him bash around for a minute or so. The second duet has three keyboard parts (bass, synth, piano) that are all him overdubbed. In each case, I just picked up the SG right afterward and recorded some improv in reaction to what he'd just played.

It's kind of frightening how much his three-year-old piano skills sound like an avant-garde Cecil Taylor sort of thing. :lol:

Digging the Jeff Beck meets Mothers Of Invention era Zappa throughout the album.

Nice work man! :yesway:
Thanks! I didn't originally intend for things to get this wildly eclectic. Five years is too long for me to stick to any one thing, though...

·
OldSchool Blacksmith
2,866 Posts
Not my thing, but great showcase of talent. Really dig ZeroDC - sounds like it belongs with the 80s guitar god stuff. Good job!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.