Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
המרחב וה
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/allanholdsworth

So Allan is releasing a new album called "Tales of the Vault" with new compositions that no one has heard and etc. However, the album is going to only be available to those who pledge for it. It will not be released on CD or anything. Pledger's will also get to see studio updates and some other cool stuff Holdsworth talks about in the vid.

The most exciting for me about this album is that Anthony Crawford and Virgil Donati are on it! :metal:

Figured some of you guys would be excited about this! Enjoy!

·
המרחב וה
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
Just so everyone knows, this isn't a "new" album, per se. Allan's recorded at least a couple studio albums over the last decade that have remained unreleased for reasons only known to him. My understanding is that at least some of the tracks on Tales From the Vault will come from those sessions.

Not that it matters to me. Any new (to me) Holdsworth music is a good thing.

·
המרחב וה
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Everyone,

Seems to be some confusion over what we are releasing still and over the last update talking about cds and vinyl.

The question was if there was going to be a cd and vinyl release and I said yes that's "possible" but not yet determined. I think some people misunderstood that to mean we are. That is up to Allan at some point much later in the year. It's his call. We hope he does release everything on cd and vinyl but that is not what this campaign is right now nor is it what Allan has agreed to.

Allan makes this very clear in the video to launch the campaign.

It's best to think of this campaign in 2 Phases.

Phase 1 is the one we are in now. That Phase includes:

6-8 Downloads ONLY (no cd or vinyl) of music from the "Vault" over the next several months. Those will get released as "singles" meaning they will not be bundled together. There might be one track released in May, 2 in June, 1 in July and so on. The music will keep coming but will not exceed 8 tracks. And it may only be 6.

Basically Allan has many basic tracks recorded over a period of 6 or 7 years that have yet to be mix, solos played, mastered and released. This campaign enables him to complete those tracks and release in download only formats.
The video I posted gives some indication of what those tracks will be and sound like. But they are at this point incomplete. One is near completion though and will be released soon.

You will receive all liner notes in either PDF format or hard copy for each track as it gets released.

All the merch you have pledged to buy, etc.

Phase 2: This will be announced at a later date (likely September) if Allan chooses to go ahead and release a cd/vinyl package that includes many more tracks than what's been released as downloads. So if he's released 6 via Pledge, there might be 12 to 14 tracks on "The Tales from the Vault" cd/vinyl release.

Allan has not committed to doing that yet. So there is NO cd or vinyl release officially to be announced yet. We will announce that when Allan has released several tracks in Phase 1 and he's committed to finishing the rest for a full cd.

He also has in the works a new recording that will not be released until next year if at all. Again this is up to Allan and we will be discussing this with him throughout the year. That is a newer recording featuring Virgil Donati, JImmy Johnson and the late keyboard wizard Austin Peralta on some tracks.

When and if he decides to release ANY cd we will let the Pledgers know first. Anyone who has Pledged in Phase 1 will receive a significant discount for the cd/vinyl package. The cd/vinyl packaging will be state of the art graphics, audiophile pressings, one of a kind liner notes by Allan, rare photos and much more.

I hope this clarifies things.

The ONLY music to be released definitively are the 6 to possibly 8 tracks for downloads. After that Allan will make a decision as to what will be in Phase 2.

Thanks again for all the support.

John McC
Hey Guys, this is just an update for anybody curious in the pledge. I have finally pledged and they have video playing one of the new track with Virgil and Jimmy soloing over it. It sounded amazing! Pledge before it is too late!

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
I listened to Allan Holdsworth once. It sounded like Dream Theater playing elevator music.
Some of his mnore fusion-y material could probably be fairly described as that. He's done some more aggressive stuff here and there too, though, and you can kind of see why the Meshuggah guys love his lead playing so much listening to that.

If you'll take a suggestion - he released a live album years ago called "All Night Wrong," as I recall, which I grabbed. I found that a much better introduction - somehow, taking his more sedate moments and converting them into a live three piece trio just tearing it up in front of a crowd adds some much needed energy and edge-of-seat excitement, where you can kind of see what the big deal about him is.

If nothing else, dude is clearly a MONSTER playing - his chordal work is if anything more terrifying than his lead playing.

·
המרחב וה
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Actually, apparently the video is on YouTube too.

Suggestion along with Drew:

·
Premium Member
1,768 Posts
If you'll take a suggestion - he released a live album years ago called "All Night Wrong," as I recall, which I grabbed. I found that a much better introduction
I appreciate the suggestion, Drew, and have added it to my list. I will give it a spin for the challenge, if nothing else.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
I appreciate the suggestion, Drew, and have added it to my list. I will give it a spin for the challenge, if nothing else.
Cool. :yesway: For a musician at that level, pretty much any live performance is worth a look.

·
Lord Super Awesome
5,701 Posts
If you'll take a suggestion - he released a live album years ago called "All Night Wrong," as I recall, which I grabbed. I found that a much better introduction - somehow, taking his more sedate moments and converting them into a live three piece trio just tearing it up in front of a crowd adds some much needed energy and edge-of-seat excitement, where you can kind of see what the big deal about him is.

If nothing else, dude is clearly a MONSTER playing - his chordal work is if anything more terrifying than his lead playing.
:agreed: When I listen to Allan, my go-to albums are usually the live ones ("All Night Wrong" & "Then").

·
המרחב וה
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Update:
Hey Guys!

Allan just released the first track from this album and it is called "Earth."

It features him, Jimmy Johnson and Virgil Donati on the track. The production is amazing, reminds me of Planet X from the "Quantum: album, honestly.
It says, "Composed Virgil Donati," so I imagine that is why it sounds so much like Planet X? Regardless, it is an amazing track with great transitions, synths and full of great playing by everyone. Jimmy stands out so greatly and his solo on the track is insane! If you guys have bought into the pledge, I would encourage you to do so! Allan also uses the "SynthAxe" on this song too!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts