Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well Ive had the 120watt 6505+ head, Ive had the 20 watt MH with a 2x12. Just got the 6505+ 112 pretty happy so far. I have only ran it straight in to test it out with the built in reverb. But it definitely has the sound and its loud as fuck. Going to unwind from work and hook up my tube screamer clone and my boss eq. Also got a tc electronics "The prophet Delay" on the way should be here by the weekend. I don't care if this is made in china it sounds great.

Attachments

·
Forum MVP
4,767 Posts
Dave is the Goldilocks of the 6505+.... Full size 120w a little much if not in a bad, 6505 MH.. great amp...but not if your half def like Dave and like to be bludgeoned sometimes... 6505 60w combo, juuust right. Good at all volumes and way easier to move. Congrats!!!!

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dave is the Goldilocks of the 6505+.... Full size 120w a little much if not in a bad, 6505 MH.. great amp...but not if your half def like Dave and like to be bludgeoned sometimes... 6505 60w combo, juuust right. Good at all volumes and way easier to move. Congrats!!!!
That's right the 6505+ 120 watt, I had to use a Tom Scholz power soak to get it right and drop it 20 DB and it smelled like my moms hot curlers in the 80s before she gussied up her perm, the MH had the overall tone I wanted after I added a choke to that but it didn't have that 6l6 power tube chunk I liked. The 112 with 2 6l6 and separated eq and resonance controls for the red and green channel is just right. And even though its just a single 12 inch speaker its basically housed in an over sized cab just right. I like my porridge 51 percent tone and 50 percent chunk on the low end.

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is so gloriously accurate. :lol:
When I first got the Tom Scholz my first thought was this smells like the night the guy that looked like Fabio in a trench coat, that sold my mom her Kirby vacuum took my mom to a Detroit Tigers game. I swear to this day it might have been James Labrie she went on a date with.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
I had one of these a while ago. Sounded great when you turned up the volume a bit - too bad I could never do that :lol:

While it sounds good as it is, changing the speaker could improve the tone further - it sounded less grainy and harsh through my Vintage 30 equipped cab than through its own speaker.

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had one of these a while ago. Sounded great when you turned up the volume a bit - too bad I could never do that :lol:

While it sounds good as it is, changing the speaker could improve the tone further - it sounded less grainy and harsh through my Vintage 30 equipped cab than through its own speaker.
Im fortunate enough to live alone in 2 bedroom house, I get to be as loud as I want and keep my amp in the living room.

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My dad had a Scholz Power Soak! He used it on his '67 Super Reverb, which is probably how he toasted the OT :lol:
mine worked great I ended up selling the 6505 with the power soak to guitar center and everyone was in awe over my passive power soak. Just using it for a 20db drop you could damn near make a grilled cheese on top of it

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)

shitty cell recording I was playing very loud its not as bassy in the room. Just hooked up my boost up front and EQ in the loop. My tc electronic the prophet delay will be here friday. This is red channel no boost with EQ on and the built in reverb. With tired hands from building Medical face shields all last week and weekend and this week.

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah, that thing rips!
Yes it does when I went from the 120 watt 6505 + head to the 20 watt MH The overall sound was similar but it didn't have that kick you in the chest quality I liked from the 6l6 120 watt head. The chunk from the 6l6 is what was missing for me. And this 60 watt head with 2 6l6 tubes, with a 1x12 in what is pretty much an oversized cab rips. I can still get a nice chunky sound at way lower volumes than the 120 watt head.

·
OldSchool Blacksmith
2,866 Posts
Sounds awesome! Dig the guitar, too.

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Sounds awesome! Dig the guitar, too.
Thanks that thing started as a HSS late 80s charvette by charvel. Replaced the neck with a mystery 80s compound radius neck, I sanded the finish off the back of the neck and tung oiled it, and added a bone nut, It has a double eagle floyd knockoff from the 80s with a brass block. New old stock peavey wolfgang pickup and a bourns volume pot. With an industrial elevator stainless steel momentary stutter switch for some extra razzle dazzle. Its been together in various forms since 2009, 11 years later I got it just how I like.

Tire Bicycle tire Automotive tire Wheel Musical instrument
Musical instrument Guitar Wood Guitar accessory Musical instrument accessory
Musical instrument String instrument String instrument accessory Guitar accessory Wood
Luggage and bags Bag Automotive tire Fashion accessory Plastic

·
Imp Slap
2,033 Posts
Yes it does when I went from the 120 watt 6505 + head to the 20 watt MH The overall sound was similar but it didn't have that kick you in the chest quality I liked from the 6l6 120 watt head. The chunk from the 6l6 is what was missing for me. And this 60 watt head with 2 6l6 tubes, with a 1x12 in what is pretty much an oversized cab rips. I can still get a nice chunky sound at way lower volumes than the 120 watt head.
Was that the only big difference between the proper head and the MH? I've been looking for a house-sized amp to replace my 5150 and it's looking like the MH is probably the best choice for me, but I'd definitely be open to the combo.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.