Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
I'll check this out, but I've never been able to get into these guys.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I kinda wish Tosin and Javier just did T.R.A.M. from here on, that EP is better than any AAL release in my opinion.

·
המרחב וה
2,061 Posts
I kinda wish Tosin and Javier just did T.R.A.M. from here on, that EP is better than any AAL release in my opinion.
Man... That first album is GOLD.
But that also had the influence & writing of Misha on there as well.

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
Man... That first album is GOLD.
But that also had the influence & writing of Misha on there as well.
I think that's why that's the only AAL album I actually like. The songs actually feel like songs. On every album since they just feel like a bunch of random licks thrown together.

·
Could be Hitler
7,666 Posts
This is still the coolest thing he has ever done. It's a doozy too, but even this doesn't get good until about two minutes in.

·
Banned
835 Posts
Funny about calling the music overcomplicated. To me it's too simple, it's just tremolo picked arpeggios with a few repetitive riffs thrown in.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
I wonder what the reception would be if he wrote and released a straight-up jazz album?

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Don't you have somewhere to be today? :lol:
:lol:

I liked the intro, but it's losing me a little as it goes on. Still, a traditional jazz trio would be interesting for Tosin, I think.

·
Imp Slap
2,033 Posts
:lol:

I liked the intro, but it's losing me a little as it goes on. Still, a traditional jazz trio would be interesting for Tosin, I think.
Agreed. I tried to like AAL, even in my 8 string phase, and never really got into them. But I listen to the TRAM EP on probably a weekly basis.

I think songwriting just isn't one of Tosin's strengths. Javier's solo albums have way stronger songwriting, and TRAM has input from two other super talented musicians in addition to Tosin and Javier.

TRAM reminds me more of Steven Wilson's jazzy stuff than it does AAL.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
I wouldn't mind this being played at a nice restaurant, just below conversation level, but there's nothing there to make me buy it.

·
Super Moderator
7,708 Posts
no djent? I distinctly hear the annoying "pick up a pancake" riffing start right there at 1:55 with the bass guitar :squint:

·
המרחב וה
2,061 Posts
no djent? I distinctly hear the annoying "pick up a pancake" riffing start right there at 1:55 with the bass guitar :squint:
:rofl:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts