Metal Guitarist Forums banner

New Apple Stuff: iPhone 6S, AppleTV, iPad Pro

9K views 144 replies 23 participants last post by  1 
#1 ·
So, as the resident Apple fanboy here, I feel obligated to let you all know new products were announced today.

iPhone 6s and 6s Plus. Faster proc, more RAM, 12mp camera, and "3D Touch", which makes it pressure-sensitive. I think. Physically the same as the 6.

iPad Pro. An iPad. But bigger. And much more expensive. And it works with a pen.

AppleTV. Now has Siri, touchpad remote, App Store, can search across services.

The AppleTV is what I'm looking forward to. If the games are good enough that I can replace my original Wii for the kids, AND it gets Plex, I'll replace my Rokus with a couple.

The iPad Pro is too damn big, too damn expensive, and does too little over what my iPad Air does, so no thanks. I already have the iPhone 6, so no real need to upgrade to the 6s right now.

#3 ·
$100 for a god damn stylus, no fucking thanks.

Not to mention, anyone who would plan on using an iPad Pro like an on-the-go drawing tablet already has options with the Surface Pro series and the Wacom Companions; one of which is known as the name for touch-screen monitors used in studios around the world.

#5 ·
It's Apple, and Steve Jobs hated on stylus interfaces for YEARS. If they're introducing one now, I wouldn't sell it short yet without seeing how it stacks up in the field compared to the competition.

I, meanwhile, have been waiting for the 6S for a LONG time, and will look forward to an iPhone with a battery that I don't need to charge in the middle of the day if I won't want it to be dead by the time I get home at night. :yesway:

#4 ·
When do they announce spec changes/updates to the Macbook Pro/Air/whatever lines? I'm waiting to get a new office machine till I hear those.

#7 ·
Some solid updates. The iPad Pro with the stylus has some appeal for creative pros, but beyond that, I can't see it selling in huge numbers.

I was wondering how they were going to incorporate 3D touch into the interface, and the functionality actually looks very useful in most of the stuff they showed.

Searching for content across apps on the Apple TV is a great enhancement.

#24 ·
IMO the issue isn't the price of the Apple TV, it's that the Roku fucking rules and it's only $99. I'd happily pay $199 for the Roku as well if that's what they were asking. For people wanting a no-bullshit, easy to use light version of an HTPC they are unbeatable.

#26 ·
The Fire TV rules as well, for $70 or so (sometimes less), and the Fire Stick is like 75% as good as the Fire TV for $40. There's so much choice in that segment, I don't see many people choosing to pay so much for something like that. I think $99 is the most people want to pay.

And let's be real, the A8 isn't a fresh chip, it's been in production for a while now, it's not like it costs a lot to make after they've made so many millions of them for the iPhone 6/6+ and iPads.

#30 ·
I've had one of three Rokus die now, and another rebooting periodically. So I'm ready to get something anyway. I like Roku, but the latest revision feels a bit flakey.

Apple Music is on the new AppleTV, and since I drink that Koolaid too, it's even better for me.

#32 ·
I don't understand why creative types would flock to the ipad pro. You cant run the full adobe suite on it since it is only running IOS. Apple tv might be cool if a lot of the games get ported to it, but for now the roku really has everything i need.

#33 ·
What's everyone else's thoughts on the $32/mo purchase plan from Apple for the new iPhone, where they give you Apple Care + and then give you a new phone automatically each year? It comes out to be about $384/yr, though with Apple Care on a phone being about $99 you'd basically be getting an iPhone for around $100 more than the subsidized carrier price, with no need to lock in a 2-year contract and a new phone every year rather than every 18 months to 2 years. I'm intrigued, especially as a guy who prefers not to use a phone case, though I'll want to get pricing from Verizon too to compare.

#36 ·
It's a good option for AT&T/Verizon/Sprint, but the T-Mobile Jump! plan shits all over it, IMO, as you can upgrade much more regularly without spending more money. For a lot of people it will make sense though. I've got the old Jump! plan, I just got my Note 5 a few weeks ago, but I could walk into a store today and upgrade if I wanted.

#34 ·
If you absolutely must have the latest-and-greatest every year, then it may be an interesting option. I'm not one of those people, so I don't see the value in spending that much on a phone, personally.

Also, it's $32 for the 16 GB phone, $36 for the 64 GB, and $40 for the 128 GB. With the bump in photo and video resolution, 16 GB is woefully insufficient.

#35 ·
I'm less interested in it for the latest/greatest aspect - I've averaged about 2, 2 1/2 years a phone for a while now anyway, and generally that's fine. I think what interests me is that carriers are starting to move away from subsidized pricing, and this would be a very good alternative to an iPhone bought full price, with a built in insurance policy.

#41 ·
They're trying so hard to get me off my grandfathered $30/month unlimited data plan it's ridiculous :lol:

#52 ·
Incidentally, this is apparently a thing, and I'm not sure I like it:

The New iPhone Is Set to Record You, Whether You Ask It To Or Not

The new iPhones, Apple announced yesterday, will be set by default to automatically record a constant stream of sound and video whenever the camera app is in use, without the user pressing the shutter button and even if the camera isn't set to take video.

Apple being Apple, it presented this opt-out-only automated surveillance system in different terms, as a newly enhanced feature, called Live Photos.
Sensationalist headline aside, making it an "opt-out" rather than an "opt-in" feature is at the very least obnoxious. I can't wait to see what this does for e-discovery.

#54 ·
Incidentally, this is apparently a thing, and I'm not sure I like it:

The New iPhone Is Set to Record You, Whether You Ask It To Or Not

Sensationalist headline aside, making it an "opt-out" rather than an "opt-in" feature is at the very least obnoxious. I can't wait to see what this does for e-discovery.
Making a mountain out of a molehill. As the article itself alludes, the base model has 16 gigs of memory. Some of that will be used by iOS, so even with no additional apps, you have, what, 10 gigs of available memory? If the phone actually saved everything it "recorded" in this manner, you'd be able to use your camera for maybe 10-15 minutes over the life of the phone before you'd run out of space on the hard drive.

Pretty much definitionally, this has to be temporarily cached, and then wiped after a second or two.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.