Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
The FNG around here!
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well... not completely new..I played maybe 7 years back. but even then it wasnt very much.

Im trying again cause my dad bought me a Dean Vendetta for my birthday.
I have no idea what kind of a guitar it is in comparison to my old Ibanez i sold years ago. But its definitely a sexy looking guitar..

Im posting here to meet some people that actually know how to play in hopes one day i might be able to.. lol..

I listen to stuff like Ozzy, In Flames, Soilwork, KsE, Metallica, Nine Inch Nails... i have no hopes of playing anything like that soon. but.. hopefully some day.

It took me 2 hours just to tune my guitar... but. yea...
any advice for this FNG?

other sites? lessons?

i really can barely read tablature. i have no idea what some of the sybols mean.

I couldnt tell you the difference between an E and E# that displays on my tuning guage. i never studied music in school or anything.
if a string broke on my guitar id probabaly google is and work on fixing it for days on end lol.

sooo.. i want any advice thatl help me get started. but i dont wanna stare at some lesson for 2 hours doing nothing.

i notice there are some new programs out that might help. Any recomendations? any other good sites? some starters metal songs that i can practice on? my goal is to be able to play a full song in a month or so.

if nothing else. thanks for reading? hah.

·
Puddin
1,793 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Stupid Motorola Backflip: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-us; MB300 Build/Blur_Version.3.0.1390.MB300.ATT.en.US Flex/P007) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

:welcome:I'm still learning how to bring the metal, but my suggestion would be to pick up a guitar book that focuses on songs and theory, and maybe even one that teaches you to read music. I already knew how to read music before I started playing guitar and it's been super helpful.

You can start playing songs right away with tab, but it's worth it to learn things correctly the first time. If you don't, you'll have to go back and break yourself of bad habits like I did.

Quick lesson on E# :lol:. Basically, the# and the b are symbols for "sharp" and "flat" respectively. E# means the note is between E and F, higher than E but not high enough to be a Fb. There's a more technical explanation, but that's the basics there.

·
Puddin
1,793 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Stupid Motorola Backflip: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-us; MB300 Build/Blur_Version.3.0.1390.MB300.ATT.en.US Flex/P007) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

:rofl: Yeah, can't forget about left-side tone.

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
:welcome:

Sonic motion is also mission critical.

Seriously listen to Helter and get a good beginner's book and learn the notes and how to read tab correctly. If you got the cash run out and buy a good tuner and a metronome. Find some musician friends and play with them. Take lessons.

[action=ohio_eric]knows the new guy ain't going to get the inside jokes, but the kid's got to learn sometime.[/action]

·
18,790 Posts
Learn the basics of tab reading (many online tabs will have helpful legends at the top, but not all, these two examples do) and start here :yesway:

For Whom The Bell Tolls tab (ver 4) by Metallica @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

Crazy Train tab (ver 2) by Ozzy Osbourne @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

Skip over some of the tricky bits until you feel comfortable, and if you stop having fun playing, go back to playing something that is fun until you find something new that's also fun and challenging. You'll quickly learn the difference between good frustration and bad frustration, avoid the bad, as it'll make you want to quit, and nurture the good, that makes you want to get it right because you know you can :yesway:

Welcome :metal:

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
I learned almost everything I use to play guitar from System of a Down's Toxicity and Killswitch Engage's Alive or Just breathing.

I'm shit though.

·
The FNG around here!
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I learned almost everything I use to play guitar from System of a Down's Toxicity and Killswitch Engage's Alive or Just breathing.

I'm shit though.

heh if you can play old Killswitch Engage your a solid guitar player in my book. heh.
thanks for the advice guys.

any books/reading that anyone would recomend?

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
I started by learning E, A, D, G, and C, and then proceeded to play every classic rock song ever written :lol:

Learn some chords, they'll get you started. Also, I started out playing Metallica. Some of their material can be difficult, but learn a few riffs here, a few riffs there, and you'll be bang'n out their shit in no time :yesway:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts