Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Not baked anymore.
3,555 Posts
I must say, I haven’t dug these tunes right off the bat, nor did I dig much of anything on the last one, which is a bummer, because the two albums prior I fucking LOVE. I’ll revisit to see if I change my mind. I’ve been in a really odd mood musically lately and have been finding most things to not sit well immediately, I think my brain is just kind of mushed out.

I’ll definitely go see these guys anytime they’re around. Killer showmanship all the way around and it’s pretty cool seeing the success they’ve busted ass for.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
That second track kinda reminded me of Bombus.

·
Premium Member
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I must say, I haven't dug these tunes right off the bat, nor did I dig much of anything on the last one, which is a bummer, because the two albums prior I fucking LOVE. I'll revisit to see if I change my mind. I've been in a really odd mood musically lately and have been finding most things to not sit well immediately, I think my brain is just kind of mushed out.

I'll definitely go see these guys anytime they're around. Killer showmanship all the way around and it's pretty cool seeing the success they've busted ass for.
Yeah,I pretty much had the same reaction of meh

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
I bought an Avatar album quite a while back, and I have such mixed feelings about them as a band. When they do the melodic death metal thing, they tend to do it pretty well. But when they're doing this almost circus music metal, it just feels... mediocre or stupid. I do love a lot of avant-garde metal and progressive metal is arguably my favorite genre, but the musical / carny stuff just... I don't see the appeal. Granted, of the music videos I've seen and the album I bought, there are good parts and good songs, but... eh...

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
I bought an Avatar album quite a while back, and I have such mixed feelings about them as a band. When they do the melodic death metal thing, they tend to do it pretty well. But when they're doing this almost circus music metal, it just feels... mediocre or stupid. I do love a lot of avant-garde metal and progressive metal is arguably my favorite genre, but the musical / carny stuff just... I don't see the appeal. Granted, of the music videos I've seen and the album I bought, there are good parts and good songs, but... eh...
I saw them on a festival tour, and it was very Marylin Manson spooky parts mixed with Rammstein, IMO. The music is pretty forgettable, and the stage act is... well... an act :lol:

Truly, I have no positive things to say, here :shrug:

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
I dig all three :shrug: I'm surprised they're getting so much resistance. The 'Avatar Country' stuff seemed like a much greater departure from 'their sound' and got a pretty warm welcome. I thought one of the big appeals of Avatar was how much their sound evolves.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
I dig all three :shrug: I'm surprised they're getting so much resistance. The 'Avatar Country' stuff seemed like a much greater departure from 'their sound' and got a pretty warm welcome. I thought one of the big appeals of Avatar was how much their sound evolves.
I don't mean to resist :lol:. Clearly they're enjoying some amount of success doing what their doing. And, I sense the evolution, it just hasn't evolved into something I'd sit down to listen to, or buy a ticket to go see, yet :)

·
Read Only
10 Posts
I am the opposite. I like the creativity in the circus metal thing they do a lot better than the boring generic death metal stuff.

·
Read Only
1 Posts
I had not heard of these guys before.

Neat concept and probably fun to see live but not something I would go out of my way to listen to.

·
Not baked anymore.
3,555 Posts
I'm just a sucker for catchy shit. If it's not catchy, then it's gotta get my head moving.

I love the fact that they progress and change with each album, I'm just not a fan of the direction they've been going. I'll still buy the album and go see them live. To be fair, I only gave each song one listen the day the videos went up and most of my favorite music I did not dig on the first listen.

If every album had one song as badass as this one, I'd be a happy camper.

When I first got into them, I hadn't realized they'd been around a while and touring their asses off. They've certainly worked for their success and deserve every bit of it. They don't take themselves too seriously at all, which I love. So though the last album wasn't a favorite of mine and the new stuff isn't getting me going (yet), I'm still a big fan of the band and will continue to support them.

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
I thought these tracks sounded more like the old stuff than Avatar Country. AC was starting to get into a weird indie hard rock thing, this these three tracks sound more like a metal band again and I thought the hooks were memorable :shrug:

To each their own, though.

·
Not baked anymore.
3,555 Posts
The whole album is out and I gave it a listen last night.....there's some GREAT shit on here!

You get great little nuggets here and there and several killer fucking songs. "Wormhole" is just sick....the whammy bar rhythms are badass, then it pops into a chorus that reminds me of Angel Dust era Faith No More.

This tune "Gun" has an obvious hat nod to Nine Inch Nails and this one hit a little close to home right now.

The songs I wasn't digging before, I'm digging now. It's always just a section that gets me hooked. Listening to the album in it's entirety made it a bit easier to digest.

·
Premium Member
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The whole album is out and I gave it a listen last night.....there's some GREAT shit on here!

You get great little nuggets here and there and several killer fucking songs. "Wormhole" is just sick....the whammy bar rhythms are badass, then it pops into a chorus that reminds me of Angel Dust era Faith No More.

The riffs are super cool! The chorus I am on the fence about.

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
Spun this a few times and yep, it's fucking awesome. Great mashup of all their previous styles and some new stuff thrown in too, you honestly don't know what you're gonna get from one song to the next. I'm also surprised nobody mentioned those Geoff Tate vibes on Colossus.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts