Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got an Axe Fx Ultra about a month ago and I just played my first show with it a few days ago so I though I would post what I thought so far.

I also snagged a Digital Music Corp. Ground Control V2 on ebay (I have really wide feet and nothing else I have found works quite as well for me.)

I had to sell practically everything that wasn't nailed down to swing the Ultra but I must say it was worth every penny. The amp models are unreal and the effects are mind blowing. I'm running the Axe with the power amp sims on with no thump through the 2:90 into a rectifier oversized 4X12. The tone is fantastic. The learning curve is pretty steep so it definitely took me a while to figure out how to program it but the Axe Edit program is an absolute must if your going to tweak this thing.

Right now, my lead tone is a modified factory preset of a mesa mark 2 with a little delay and I'm pretty happy with it. My main heavy rhythm tone is a modified rectifier preset and it's pretty good but I'm looking forward to digging deeper into the amp models and coming up with something more original.

The Axe Fx has really streamlined my gear needs. My bands rehearses direct through headphones with an electronic drum kit, plays live amplified through real amps and an acoustic kit, and records direct. Before I bought the Axe Fx, I had different rigs for each of these situations. It's so nice having one rig to handle everything.

Now I just need to purchase an expression pedal that works with the Axe Fx.

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts
I've played two gigs with the Axe-FX Ultra since I bought it. The setup I do is using the instrument outputs to the amp/cabinet for monitoring on stage then line-level outputs to the PA for everything else.

The only problem was that we were told afterwards that my guitar tone sounded amazing, but overwhelmed the other guitarist (since his amp was miced for both monitors and the PA). Of course, his amp wasn't doing too well that day, so there was that as well, I guess.

When I used the GNX3000, I used the on-board wah-wah, but with the Axe-FX Ultra, I use my old VOX wah-wah, which I had forgot how much I love to death. That wah-wah is the ultimate. The god of wah-wah pedals. :lol:

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Axe Edit program is an absolute must if your going to tweak this thing.
I'd disagree with this part. I hate Axe Edit. I much prefer programming on the Axe itself to doing it through Axe Edit. It's a lot simpler. Might not be as convenient if you're not in front of your rack, but the interface on the Axe is so easy to use it's minor for me.

·
Pallin' around
9,532 Posts
^Damn, I just bought my ENGL like a year and a half ago, but I do :wub: my ENGL. Perhaps I should get an AxeFX though... These are tough decisions...

·
In brightest day...
422 Posts
^Damn, I just bought my ENGL like a year and a half ago, but I do :wub: my ENGL. Perhaps I should get an AxeFX though... These are tough decisions...
I loved my Engl as well, but I ended up selling it for a few reasons. 1. I couldn't use it anymore since I didn't have a poweramp anymore :lol: and 2. the Axe is supposed to do everything my Engl did and WAY more. I have an Axe on the way that should be here today. I love the Engl tone, but with everything in the Axe, I should be able to get a tone close to the Engl, if not better than what I had. It also allowed me to sell my effects unit.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
You bet. What blows is I have two combos to move and nobody's biting on them. I think my prices are in the realm of reason, too :( It's probably just a combination of the facts that they're combos (ha!) and money's tight.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah. That blows. Combos are tough because it's a little more complicated and pricey to ship them. **** luck man. You'll sell them eventually. It just takes the right buyer to see one of them.

·
Premium Member
8,927 Posts
Damn, it's great but not worth going into debt for.

BTW, if any old Axe-FX hands haven't been trying out some of the newer cab sims, you really should. The new versions of the 4x12 V30 and Greenback cabs are fantastic. You can mix them together and get all kinds of interesting tones. I haven't even gotten to any of the other new cabs, though some are mostly chug-oriented and therefore not for me.

·
Colourful bastard
403 Posts
^ After about 15,000,000 different amps, I still keep finding my way back to using PODs. I am being insanely careful not to try an Axe FX however :p

1 - 20 of 36 Posts