Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
abides
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Just wanted to draw any prospective customers' attention to the new and improved BKP site. Since I have direct links to BKP and did the audio clips for the site I'm far from unbiased, so I'll refrain from posting too much subjective commentary other than to say it's a much better resource than the old site!

Bare Knuckle Pickups, North Devon, UK - Hand Wound Guitar Pickups

:metal:

·
HAWKS & FUCK SEC!
1,672 Posts
Thanks for the update. The new site looks good. But how did you record the parts? You use an Axe for the specific amp tones? Did you use the same guitar for all the pups?

·
abides
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yup, tones are all Axe-FX so that we can record any future clips with a consistent setup/sound. We used a small number of similar Les Pauls for the humbuckers, a custom shop Strat and Tele for their respective pickup sets, an SG for the humbucker-sized P90s and an LP Jr for the regular P90s.
I believe some background info on the clips is going to be added to the site in the near future :yesway:

·
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹɐln&#38
5,486 Posts
nice, did they always have those charts (bass/mid/treble)? I don't recall seeing it on their old site.

I also find that their most "djenty" pickup has seriously high mids. I thought djenty was very scooped?

·
abides
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
nice, did they always have those charts (bass/mid/treble)? I don't recall seeing it on their old site.

I also find that their most "djenty" pickup has seriously high mids. I thought djenty was very scooped?
Nope, the bar charts are new.
Funny, the very thing that makes a sound "djenty" is upper midrange - it's about having the resonant peak of the pickup right up in the "E" vowel sound, instead of a regular pickup that might have a lower resonant peak lower in the "U" or even "O" area. I think it's usually the relative lack of lower midrange that makes people call a "djenty" sound scooped.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Great update to the site! My only complaint is that if i want to jump from humbuckers to any other type of pickup, it requires going back to "home" and then diving down again. Not the greatest navigation setup.

The audio clips are really useful, but the differences between the different pickups are sometimes hard to pick out. For example, on the "modern metal" samples, the rhythm tones are almost indistinguishable (mind you, this could also be my laptop speakers ;) ) and i was shocked at how similar the Piledriver sample was to many of the humbuckers. The lead tones show off more character, though.

Awesome work!

·
I have angered the Noodles
2,662 Posts
Great update to the site! My only complaint is that if i want to jump from humbuckers to any other type of pickup, it requires going back to "home" and then diving down again. Not the greatest navigation setup.

The audio clips are really useful, but the differences between the different pickups are sometimes hard to pick out. For example, on the "modern metal" samples, the rhythm tones are almost indistinguishable (mind you, this could also be my laptop speakers ;) ) and i was shocked at how similar the Piledriver sample was to many of the humbuckers. The lead tones show off more character, though.

Awesome work!
i think it may have been your laptop speakers. with my desktop setup it was pretty noticeable.

one thing that may be helpful for the audio samples, is be able to compare two of them together? that way your able to hear it a lot quicker, instead of having to wait for the page to load. just a thought.

the site is looking great, and the audio samples are awesome!

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
The ultimate high output 'Djent' humbucker with raw and focused grinding crunch, extremely fast bass response and aggressive upper mid impact.

The hi-mid peak of the Painkiller humbucker together with its powerful triple ceramic magnet design makes it the perfect pickup for progressive technical metal styles. A combination of tight, resonant lows and intense pick attack lets the Painkiller dominate and punch through any mix. Clarity is never compromised, no matter how much gain is applied or how low the tuning and, as with the Cold Sweat, pick harmonics are totally effortless.

The Painkiller neck humbucker is powered by a custom size ceramic bar magnet for masses of power and liquid-like sustain as well as matching the bridge in output. Although not the major role of a high output ceramic humbucker, clean tones have a fat, modern voice with the combination of bridge and neck being particularly good.

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts