Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

More proof that Robert Lowe = best doom metal vocalist of all time. Messiah sounds like he's trying to cover Nevermore.

Edit: Or maybe this isn't new? :scratch:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here's Lowe's version, which, admittedly, isn't the best fit for this song but the mix is a lot worse.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And more SA, how to properly cover Dio:

Sing the fucking shit out of it. :metal:

·
Puddin
1,793 Posts
I like how this thread is just Chris having a conversation with himself. Anyway, I just thought I'd say I love Candlemass. And yes, Robert Lowe was infinitely awesome, but I don't dislike Messiah.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
The first song is from the self-titled Candlemass album, which came out in 2005. Messiah left in 2006, Rob joined for the King of the Gray Island album in 2007. He's been with them ever since. I strongly prefer him, and the first vocalist of Candlemass, Johhann Lingqvist, to Messiah.

BTW, Candlemass did a KICK ASS Rainbow cover over the Death Magic Doom Tour. Its on their new live album/dvd, but i cant find the vid of it on youtube.

YouTube - Candlemass at Fortarock Holland - Kill the King

So here's a shitty Handicam version.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Also, the break right before the solo in this song:

Total fucking sabbath worship. I love it.

I gotta say i prefer Lief's songwriting to the guys in Solitude, but Rob has always been a supreme vocalist. Now that he's singing with Candlemass, its just unreal.

·
Banned
1,582 Posts
Rob is great in Solitude Aeturnus, but I infinately prefer Messiah in Candlemass. Can't say I really cared for the actual musical direction on the last two albums either. They dropped the macabre 80's power-doom approach for a simpler/more repetitive/cliched bluesy/70's/Sabbath-worship sound. Give me Nightfall, Ancient Dreams, Tales Of Creation or the 2005 S/t over this new stuff anyday, or any of the Memento Mori albums (with Messiah) too, for that matter..

·
Puddin
1,793 Posts
Nightfall's actually the album that got me into Candlemass. I had never heard any of their stuff before that one came out. It's not like the band sucked without Lowe.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
True, but Lowe pointed out, in spades, that he is ten times the vocalist that Messiah was. Hell, even his goofy evil-metal-guy faces look cooler than the dude he replaced.

·
Puddin
1,793 Posts
^I didn't hear about that. According to Wiki, it was over 35,000 dvds worth about $500,000. That's crazy.

True, but Lowe pointed out, in spades, that he is ten times the vocalist that Messiah was. Hell, even his goofy evil-metal-guy faces look cooler than the dude he replaced.
I'll give you that. Although I already admitted I do like Lowe better, I felt I had give Messiah credit where it was due.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts