Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
50w out of 4 EL84s? Either they're running them super hot like my Budda does, or they're being kind of optimistic :lol:

I'd love to try one though. Too bad Carvin doesn't have any showrooms around here.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
The Mesa F-30 also claims 30 watts out of a pair of EL84s.

I wonder how the FS44L footswitch works with it. It has buttons for Channel, Reverb, Effects Loop and Boost. My guess is that the first button will be a Channel 1/2 toggle, and the second will kick in Channel 3.

·
Carvin Crazy
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
50w out of 4 EL84s? Either they're running them super hot like my Budda does, or they're being kind of optimistic :lol:

I'd love to try one though. Too bad Carvin doesn't have any showrooms around here.
This is what someone figured on the Carvin BBS.

50w = 4 x EL84 in pentode mode
22w = 4 x EL84 in triode mode -OR- 2 x EL84 in pentode mode (more likely)
7w = 2 x EL84 in triode mode

·
Argh
2,658 Posts
Seems like a pretty cool idea. I like the fact that its power switchable too so you could comfortably gig with it as well as use it at home. It's also nice to see that it will have some proper clean headroom too.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
The F-30 uses some weird Dyna-Watt tech involving some extra capacitors to pull 30W out of two EL84s though.

My SD30 runs 4 EL84s at something like 150-175% recommended voltage and pulls off ~48w dimed.

Just saying, it might be slightly optimistic in terms of power rating. It'll still be fucking loud.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Interesting... there will be a "smaller" 5150III 50w as well.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts