Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I bought a YRG. Again. Let me recap:

June 2010: first run, original firmware. Fucking awful. Mis-triggers. Ghost notes. Sold for a profit to an Australian, Engage-style.

January 2011?: gen 1, but newer firmware. Better, but still really only usable in tap mode. I returned it.

June 2011: gen 1, last firmware. Quite good, but I felt it was redundant to have it since I had the Roland MIDI guitar kit. Sold it and broke even.

December 2012: gen 2. Defective. Sent back.

Now: wouldn't pay $250 for it, but for I did pay for it (significantly less), it's a really, really cool controller.

String triggers work much more as expected, with a good velocity range (that's completely adjustable). Tap mode is awesome, especially for synths and strings.

All in all, I won't be selling my Fishman, but this will be a fun travel controller to have. Plug and play with the iPad too.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Very cool. Sounds like quite the journey with these instruments for you lol.

·
Jigsaw?
3,913 Posts
You Rock :lol: How well does the bar work on that thing? I'd be interested in one of these as something different to piss around with. Plug and Play on the Ipad does sound nice.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You Rock :lol: How well does the bar work on that thing? I'd be interested in one of these as something different to piss around with. Plug and Play on the Ipad does sound nice.
Yeah, dumb name, right? :lol:

The bar acts as a pitch wheel. Works well. The only thing I wish it did was velocity sensitivity in tap mode, like the Ztars.

The only thing about the iPad is that it won't power the YRG, so you need batteries. Not a big deal, but kind of a bummer. It sounds really cool with Sampletank and Animoog though, especially with the latter using the bar.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts