Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
Charvel So Cal & San Dimas
6,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every year my partner's family all travel to Wales for Christmas to stay with her grandparents in their huge 3 story house. This year I took a really simple set up (laptop etc) and my guitar (obviously) and stared out over the Welsh mountains as I wrote quite possibly the heaviest riffs to ever spill out of me :lol:

Anyway, when I got home I re-recorded it on a "proper" set up and here is the result:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4128689/Omnicide WIP.mp3

Enjoy, and thanks for listening! :metal:

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
6,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Aren't we the same age? :lol: Yeah I'm debating whether to use them but I just felt they fit quite well, I'm just trying to stay hip... ya know... get home with the downies. And thanks man, drums are what I've really been working at lately :yesway:

·
Argh
2,658 Posts
This sounds absolutely killer, it reminds me a little bit of Nevermore.
Anyways, great work dude!
Oh and +1 to what did you record this with?

·
Canis lupis robertus
5,706 Posts
WTF? I thought I replied to this last night.

Anyrate, very cool, dude! What did you use to get that bass drop? (Which I dig, BTW.)

·
18,790 Posts
Yeah, I really dig the bass drops too, as they fit perfectly and accent the part, rather than being excessive, and just being there to be there.

Like, how Devin Townsend uses them, compared to...well, everyone else these days :lol:

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
6,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks very much dudes, the other guitarist is coming over today so we should get some more of this written/recorded :metal:

Sounds awesome man! What you using to record this with?
I have my LTD M307 w/ EMG 81-7 & 60-7 going direct into my Focusrite Saffire Pro 14, going through ReValver 6505 model, TS in front, into impulses. Simple hi-pass/lo-pass and some multiband on the lows

Bass is pitch-shifted guitar at the moment since I don't have a bass, or a bassist (he quit a couple weeks back :(), so this is also the LTD (neck pickup) into the Focusrite, pitch-shifted, then through Ampeg SVX > impulses > comp > EQ > limit (usual bass stuff) then the performance is copied/pasted onto another track with some light distortion, and blended to taste.

Drums are Metal Foundry, kick replaced with Steven Slate 10z3, all drums sent to group track where they are lightly compressed and clipped. Usual stuffs!

If anyone's interested in seeing any of this in detail I can do screen grabs etc, just lemme know!

WTF? I thought I replied to this last night.

Anyrate, very cool, dude! What did you use to get that bass drop? (Which I dig, BTW.)
I can't remember off the top of my head which one I used, but here is my collection:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4128689/Bass drops.rar

As you can imagine, people are asking for them to be dropped in their mixes more and more these days so I have to have a few at hand :lol: I don't usually do much to them, it depends what the moment calls for. Sometimes I will just roll it off at 500hz and slam it with some comp, just to make it boom like shit. It always helps to have it bang on time with a kick.

Yeah, I really dig the bass drops too, as they fit perfectly and accent the part, rather than being excessive, and just being there to be there.

Like, how Devin Townsend uses them, compared to...well, everyone else these days :lol:
Thanks man, I'm really glad you pointed that out, because that's exactly how I'm trying to use them. I mean, people should be able to tell from our style, both musically and production-wise, that we're not really part of "that" scene, and these things have been around a damn sight longer than the contemporary palaver. I try not to over use them but after taking stock I think we do have one in nearly every song :lol: But hey, like you said, Devy has at least one in every song on Alien so fuck it! :metal:

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Bass is pitch-shifted guitar at the moment since I don't have a bass, or a bassist (he quit a couple weeks back :(), so this is also the LTD (neck pickup) into the Focusrite, pitch-shifted, then through Ampeg SVX > impulses > comp > EQ > limit (usual bass stuff) then the performance is copied/pasted onto another track with some light distortion, and blended to taste.
Wow! That is EXACTLY what I do with mine, accept my 2nd bass track is slightly distorted and really midrange driven (iron maiden-like). Yours sounds quite a bit better than mine though. I'm using the same plugins too, though I haven't used a limiter on my bass...i'll have to try that. (Also using Ampeg SVX > Impulses > Comp > EQ). Some of the cab models in SVX aren't bad and I use them sometimes as well depending on the song.

How did you get the slap sounds on the "bass"?

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
6,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Haha awesome man! Yeah it's not a bad way to do things to just see how it will sound, but I would obviously much rather re-record with a real bass, when I get my hands on one!

The "slap" is just a result of using the 60-7 I think man, it has a very strat-y single coil "twang" to it anyway when played clean, and is generally very trebly. That coupled with sharp picks and a hard attack I guess!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts