Metal Guitarist Forums banner

New Darkglass heads

3K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  Josh 
#1 ·
See less See more
#2 ·
Those look fucking awesome. Like modernized mac minis. :lol:

Does Nolly still have anything to do w/these guys? His old Darkglass demo that sounded straight up incredible was the reason that I bought one of their overpriced pedals. It worked as advertised too, it sounded great. It's one of the only djent-era things that I can honestly say lived up to the hype.

How much are these things? The "BUY NOW" button on their website just leads me to other websites with no pricing.

#3 ·
I can only assume Nolly does, maybe similar (or perhaps not as upfront) way how Jon Stockman (Karnivool) is associated with every Alpha/Omega product.

I'm also guessing that the heads are similarly priced to their first head. That costs about 1400aud (with perpetual summer/nice beaches tax), so add a bit of upcharge to that.

#5 ·
They look like they grafted their various preamp pedals into their amp head (nothing wrong with that; my Tone Hammer is basically the same thing).

The only problem I have with their stuff is the cost.

#12 ·
They're on the pricey side on the amp spectrum; a few hundred bucks more than comparable offerings from GK, Aguilar, etc, and the pedals are expensive. They also do sound great, although not enough to make me ditch what I'm currently using on either the amp or pedal front.

Some of it is obviously a taste thing; I've spent a fair bit of time with the B7K and the Alpha/Omega Ultra and haven't had much luck getting tones that have sold me on the $500 price tag (although they're deep pedals with a huge range of options, and I'm sure given enough time I'd get something I'd want out of them).

That said, I also have a bass with their preamp, and it does sound quite good; instead of treble, there's a "high mid" knob that's centered right on the "aggressive clank" frequency so you can add or remove as much of that as you want.

#9 ·
A lot of the djent cumsprouts certainly do. And in fairness the pedals certainly aren't cheap but I was surprised when I bought the original Microtubes at a reasonable price for what they are.

And then guys like Bryan Beller, Tony Levin and Billy Gould have jumped on the bandwagon. Hell, I'm browsing through their roster and I'm seeing some diverse names like The Strokes, Jamiraquai, etc. I should apply after my next album... :lol:

#14 ·
Our last show, the headliner's bassist was using a Darkglass head (top one IIRC). He said he had issues repeatedly with his SVT, tried it out in store and took it home immediately. His whole rig (minus cab) is on his board.

Our bassist uses the B7K (I think) right now. He's not done sorting out the rig :lol:.

#15 ·
If I was still playing in a band, I'd absolutely get one. From the prices I've seen on Reverb, they're a couple hundred cheaper than a Mesa Carbine M9 or even M6. Not to mention quite a bit smaller.

Not for nothin' but the setup of my Markbass LMII head, Tech21 VT Bass and Fulltone GT-500 pedals was pretty badass. Nice high end grind and enough low end to shake your fillings loose.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.