Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just recorded a new track today while I was off work.

Mix advice is greatly appreciated. Hopefully a few of you will enjoy this one. Actually managed a solo on it as well but my lead playing is terrible so excuse that!

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers, I am a fan of a pounding....kick. will give it a go tomorrow and see ifvi can balance it out a but

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fucking autocorrect in my last post. Yeah I know what you mean ill see about bringing the rest of the kit up a bit. I didn't want to have it all going full tilt to avoid it being overly robotic but I reckon the variation in velocity is what's caused the rest of the kit to sound a bit quiet.

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
here is attempt number 2

I actually just took the plunge into paid for IRs and my tones are miles better as a result so I may re do the guitars on this as well.

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
sounds great Nick, are you using the axe fx for the amp tone?
yeah i used one of the Fremen 18.07 presets - mesa lead with the Recto UR 1 cab. Its the Mk II C+ amp model with no boost and both the overdrive and input drive at about 3-4 oclock.

Like I said though it sounded much better with one of the ownhammer Mills cabs that I bought last night so I may re do it.

Im also haveing difficulty mastering tracks because for some reason waves decided to stop working. My PC wont locate the waveslib.7.1dll file no mater where I point it to look for it or where I put the file its really fucking infuriating!

So this track doesnt quite explode out of the speakers like I'd like it to.

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I always think there is something weird with my guitars. I'm a total noob with this stuff but does phasing result in them 'cancelling each other out' or something like that?

How do I fix it? Is it something to do with a phase inverter?

·
Premium Member
2,996 Posts
I always think there is something weird with my guitars. I'm a total noob with this stuff but does phasing result in them 'cancelling each other out' or something like that?

How do I fix it? Is it something to do with a phase inverter?
More or less cancelling out, yes. If a signal is replicated and delayed, then the sum of the signals will have frequencies cancelled and reinforced that correspond to the delay. Phase inversion just flips everything, and if you do that with a signal and its exact replica, you get silence.

Lots of phase cancellation in mids and/or high mids makes a kind of swirly, distant sound. It can happen with phase differentials between different captures of the same source (like if you're dual micing), or if you have C&P or routed tracks that have some sort of delay imposed on them, or it can happen with severe EQ (and other effect, but mainly EQ) settings. Quite mild EQ settings with multiple EQs can also do it.

Some phasing can be good and useful (it can be some of the most effective EQ you can get, if you know how to use it), but in this case whatever's causing it is kinda cutting the balls of the guitars, to my ears.

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have eq'd my guitars with low and high passes and a mid cut in both of them - the mid cut will be roughly the same but not exactly.

What sort of steps would you take to isolate whats causing it? I totally hear what you are talking about happening on all of my recordings but i've never known what to do about it.

·
Premium Member
2,996 Posts
Start with one solitary dry guitar, then add everything else to it one thing at a time until the phasing appears. It may not be just one thing, so keep going till you've pretty much reconstructed the mix, and you should know what it was by the time you're done.

If it's in the dry guitar (not impossible, depending on what's going on at your source/in the afx processing; I've created phase differentials, wanted and unwanted, using an EQ on a preamp I like to use in front of the amp, so their was a slight phase effect coming out of the cab), then basically the same thing; track it down by rebuilding from scratch and listening for what did it. If it's in the dry guitar then stacking guitars will exacerbate it, so worst comes to worst, look for the effect, but subtle, there.

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I may re record the guitars tonight using the new IRs i bought so I will do that and see if it changes anything, if not i'll follow your steps above and see how I get on.

Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
another mix

I read up a lot on compression this afternoon and now i think i kind of understand what I'm doing with it! Kind of....

Tried to pinpoint the guitar phasing but haven't had any luck with that yet. I reckon this is a step in the right direction though.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts