Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
Charvel So Cal & San Dimas
6,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks to me like he's using one-finger barre chords, and at times when he's chugging the open B5 he's clearly not fretting anything.

Not a massive fan of the song on the whole, but just how fucking SICK is that section starting at 2:55? That riff, and then when the whole band come back in it's like WHAM! So fucking grindy and gnarly, the guitar and bass tone are especially boner-worthy.

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
6,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Meh, Vogg's always had a knack for the riff. The speed and the aggression might have changed, but it's not really a drastic change in style tbh. The tech-death thing can get very boring very quickly. I still struggle to make it all the way through albums like The Negation, where they'd taken that sound to the Nth degree. I find some of the newer stuff actually holds my attention for longer, and we all know I'm a sucker for groove.

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
WoC is one of the best dm albums of all time. I think their sound has slowly transitioned to what it is now album by album since then. I do find their most recent stuff to have a couple of absolute beasts and lots of filler though.

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts
Their newer albums are WAY better than their early stuff in my opinion. I think their first two albums (Winds of Creation and Nihilism) are okay. Not bad by any means, some pretty good tracks on there, but not really anything special or unique. Organic Hallucinosis and Carnival is Forever are WAY more interesting than the stuff they were putting out at the beginning. I can't comment on Blood Mantra because that's the only Decapitated album I don't own and haven't heard (I think I heard a song or two off it when it first came out, but I don't remember). I'm not a fan of The Negation. Maybe I need to listen to it more, but it never really grabbed me.

·
Resident Winger Overlord
4,287 Posts
Organic is my fav album by them. They usually do an album I like followed by one I never get into much, and so on.
Not sure how WOC is nothing new tho. When that came out, it was pretty mind blowing stuff. I dunno... at least imo

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
Agreed I can't see why anyone that likes dm wouldn't rate WoC very highly. It's not often that level of groove and technicality ate so effortlessly combined.

·
Resident Winger Overlord
4,287 Posts
yep. WOC was unique just in the fact that they were still in high school when they recorded that, for starters.

·
Resident Winger Overlord
4,287 Posts
also, concerning tech death, the new Suffocation album came out yesterday. man oh man, what a great album. They finally got the production that they have been chasing all these years. i really like it a lot

·
Read Only
2,581 Posts
also, concerning tech death, the new Suffocation album came out yesterday. man oh man, what a great album. They finally got the production that they have been chasing all these years. i really like it a lot
link it

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
6,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah yeah we get it, we all love Decapitated, but none of you are answering my question :lol:

·
Premium Member
893 Posts
can't wait to see them in a couple weeks.. new shit ridiculously heavy

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
6,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah, looks like he is in drop B on a 7. Weak tea.
I know right? I know Unearth started doing that, after several albums in B standard they said it helped them get "out of that box" and shake the writer's block.

In terms of Decapitated, I know the first 3 albums were D standard, then C# standard for the next few, then he got into 7 strings in B standard. I'm assuming this is similar to the Unearth situation, perhaps the extra chord extensions were necessary for certain riffs.

It is a bit odd though. I'd much rather just use a 6 string.

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
All shall perish did the same thing for some mental lead parts but I'm not hearing why it's necessary here

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
6,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
All shall perish did the same thing for some mental lead parts but I'm not hearing why it's necessary here
Yeah. I'm guessing it's a tuning they've used in the past (pretty sure Organic has some on) and he just wants an excuse to use his fancy new LACS 7 :lol:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts