Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, I've been working with this idea for a while, and decided to post the first incarnation of the song, with the hope of getting feedback and constructive criticism! I've been struggling with getting my mix louder without sacrificing clarity and balance.

I used my Ibanez rg770 with the Bkp Holydiver/Coldsweat combo through my Axe-fx. For Bass I used my Schecter stiletto 5 string through a Cubase amp simulator. Drums are the S2.0 Avatar with the Metal Machine kick blended underneath. Thank you for checking it out!

https://soundcloud.com/taylord-2%2Ffreeze-updated

·
Registered
112 Posts
Vildjarta fan? I like this piece, especially the dichotomy of clean/distorted.

What drum sampler are you using? I dig the sounds ( though the floor tom? panned hard right sounds a little funny IMO), but the snare reverb seems really mid heavy and LOOOONG sticks out. Long I guess is ok, but for some reason it doesn't sit in the mix well. Actually there's a couple times where I hear the toms feel estranged too. Like the sound is good, but something... I wish I could be more specific.

Good work though! Just you? Hope you get a band and start dominating :D

[edit] - dig that grimace track too!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you very much for the feedback guys! I'm just using The Avatar Kit in Superior 2.0. Others have told me to bring up the Rhythms and the bass some as well. I realized that the floor tom may be panned too hard right, so I will adjust that as well as backing off on the snare reverb. I will post an updated mix soon!

I have a band, Priyah, but we aren't doing as much anymore, so I'm trying to get more into home recording and stuff like that.

Anyways thanks again for the advice!

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
The idea is pretty awesome. I think the OD guitars are way low in the mix. Try something like an L3-16 Multimaximizer plugin from Waves. It's a nice plugin if you want more volume without losing clarity and getting super distorted.

L3-16 Multimaximizer Multiband Mastering Plugin | Waves
...or you could just turn up the guitars, or turn the rest of the mix down, to balance them...?

That's a mastering plug, it's designed to make an entire mix louder. Balancing tracks should happen well before you concern yourself with total volume.

·
Banned
160 Posts
...or you could just turn up the guitars, or turn the rest of the mix down, to balance them...?

That's a mastering plug, it's designed to make an entire mix louder. Balancing tracks should happen well before you concern yourself with total volume.
:agreed:

A well balanced mix can always be mastered to peak levels afterwards.

Fucking sick track though!! :metal:

·
Registered
66 Posts

Or that, lol. I just assumed he had already played around with the levels on the mix.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts