Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Resident Rivethead.
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The trailer seems to have been floating around for since September, but I only just found it (as per usual :lol:) Looks interesting, different to the first few, and Dante looks like a deranged psychotic more than the brooding but cocky hero of the first 4 games

I'm excited :D I just hope they make it a touch longer than 4, which (while great fun) felt a little more than repetitive with regard to the actual levels/locations :(

The aforementioned trailer;

·
Resident Rivethead.
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought that at first, but after watching the clip I think they've managed to pull off "scruffy insane guy" pretty well. After all, this is a massive prequel as well (before DMC3 even, so I'm pretty certain he is a teenager), so for me it just all sort of works.

That's not to say I'm looking forward to the hordes of small annoying emo tosspots who will no doubt buy the game, but I think the design team have done if nothing else a very appropriate job on it :yesway:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
4 was awful. I borrowed it from a friend, made it through two terrible twenty-minute cutscenes, didn't enjoy the five minutes of gameplay in between, and promptly gave it back to my friend.

I absolutely loved the original for PS2 though :(

·
Resident Rivethead.
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
4 was awful. I borrowed it from a friend, made it through two terrible twenty-minute cutscenes, didn't enjoy the five minutes of gameplay in between, and promptly gave it back to my friend.

I absolutely loved the original for PS2 though :(
I really thoroughly enjoyed the gameplay of 4, but the cut-scenes, dialog, length and story were all pretty god damn atrocious. It's enough for me to go back and replay for the sake of beating the shit out of monsters with some wacky moves and better graphics than the first one, though it (the first one) is definitely the best so far. I've gone through and beaten that game literally several hundred times now it's just that entertaining :yesway:

I wished they'd cut back the lameness of it a bit and put something semi-serious/intimidating together, like the first, but with better graphics after the second and third games, and this looks like it could be it... or it could be more of the same cheeseball stuff with a new skin.

We'll see.

·
Registered
136 Posts
1 was awesome. 2 sucked. 3 was awesome and 4 sucked. 4 was ruined for me when you basically had to redo every board and boss, Its like they gave up halfway through the game devolpment and just said oh well. I don't like the emoness of the new dude. He kinda is like a beat down junkie/emo mix. I'm sure I'll buy it when its like $20 but that is along time from now.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
If I want "absurd" with actually really awesome gameplay, I will play Bayonetta.

·
Devil
1,871 Posts
1 was awesome. 2 sucked. 3 was awesome and 4 sucked. 4 was ruined for me when you basically had to redo every board and boss, Its like they gave up halfway through the game devolpment and just said oh well. I don't like the emoness of the new dude. He kinda is like a beat down junkie/emo mix. I'm sure I'll buy it when its like $20 but that is along time from now.
I second this.

·
Resident Rivethead.
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
See so far as the design goes, and considering he is basically a teenager in this one I just feel like it's so appropriate :shrug: Clever marketing too, probably, but it doesn't feel "wrong" as such.

The first game was great how you had to fight every boss multiple times and really got to know them, but I do think they went a bit too far with 4 in that you fight the bosses not only multiple times, but in the exact same places. Still, I enjoyed the gameplay a lot and the character design even more, just a shame the same can't be said of the cutscenes/story :(

·

745 Posts
The reason they ditched the old Dante is probably a new designer behind the characters.
The man who created Dante for the original game said that he misses the old one and doesn't like the new one too...

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
:agreed: I read that yesterday. Understandable, and the original Dante was a kickass design, but I do also agree that it's time for a revamp, especially after how bad sales were of DMC4 outside Japan.
Because the game was AWFUL.

And because Bayonetta kicked its ass in every conceivable way, with much more fanfare.

·
Resident Rivethead.
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Because the game was AWFUL.

And because Bayonetta kicked its ass in every conceivable way, with much more fanfare.
I hated Bayonetta. The character design IMO was absolutely fucking awful, and even teh action just didn't live up to the hype around it.

I enjoyed 4 :(
Me too, a lot TBH :lol: The gameplay was solid, not much different to the previous games, just more streamlined. The character designs were (with a couple of exceptions) really great, the enemies were interesting (though as mentioned probably too repetitive), and for me it was entertaining.

The new one looks like the action will be faster and more wacky, the enemy designs look bizarre in a good way, I think Dante's "new look" fits his age in teh game and the general look/feel of the game too from what I've seen.

I hope it's good :lol:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.