Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Read Only
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New engine shakes up auto industry - Technology & science - Innovation - msnbc.com

Despite shifting into higher gear within the consumer's green conscience, hybrid vehicles are still tethered to the gas pump via a fuel-thirsty 100-year-old invention: the internal combustion engine.

However, researchers at Michigan State University have built a prototype gasoline engine that requires no transmission, crankshaft, pistons, valves, fuel compression, cooling systems or fluids. Their so-called Wave Disk Generator could greatly improve the efficiency of gas-electric hybrid automobiles and potentially decrease auto emissions up to 90 percent when compared with conventional combustion engines.

The engine has a rotor that's equipped with wave-like channels that trap and mix oxygen and fuel as the rotor spins. These central inlets are blocked off, building pressure within the chamber, causing a shock wave that ignites the compressed air and fuel to transmit energy.

The Wave Disk Generator uses 60 percent of its fuel for propulsion; standard car engines use just 15 percent. As a result, the generator is 3.5 times more fuel efficient than typical combustion engines.

Researchers estimate the new model could shave almost 1,000 pounds off a car's weight currently taken up by conventional engine systems.

Last week, the prototype was presented to the energy division of the Advanced Research Projects Agency, which is backing the Michigan State University Engine Research Laboratory with $2.5 million in funding.

Michigan State's team of engineers hope to have a car-sized 25-kilowatt version of the prototype ready by the end of the year.

·
I miss you Avalanche
3,519 Posts
It'll never see the light of day... there'll be SO much opposition against this, it won't even be funny! :( Fucking politicians

·
Dook dook dook
2,434 Posts
It'll never see the light of day... there'll be SO much opposition against this, it won't even be funny! :( Fucking politicians
I doubt it. It's cheaper to make, and they can charge more for it because it's shiny and new. Which = more money.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I'd like to see the real design - the challenge with typical "rotary" engine is sealing the roter to the housing - if you seal to tightly you lose efficiency if you seal to loosely then raw fuel can be exhausted which drives exhaust emissions through the roof.

I do agree with Regor also - introducing ground breaking ideas in the automotive industry is difficult - until you get some of the big manufacturers to try and adopt the ideas it's very difficult to get traction.

·
I miss you Avalanche
3,519 Posts
Did you guys know that if you burned pure gasoline, you can breathe the fumes?

The fucking Gov't regulates so much garbage in additives that it makes the gas horrible for the environment. Its THAT kinda crap that'll stop this from ever being used.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Did you guys know that if you burned pure gasoline, you can breathe the fumes?

The fucking Gov't regulates so much garbage in additives that it makes the gas horrible for the environment. Its THAT kinda crap that'll stop this from ever being used.
The problem with this idea is true stoichiometric combustion is not possible so there will always some amount of by-products left over in the exhaust stream. Hydrocarbons, CO, CO2 - all things you probably shouldn't be sucking down in mass quantities.

·
Super Moderator
7,708 Posts
I watched the video and didn't get it. Is he after Indiana Jones or something? That accent is THICK.

Great idea though.

Also Roger, your avatar is...... generic. :agreed:

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Hivemind: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

Naren said:
^I'm surprised you know Kroger. I didn't think they had any in Arizona.
Fry's is the store here, but they sell a lot of kroger stuff as store brand (since it's he same company)

·
I miss you Avalanche
3,519 Posts
Also Roger, your avatar is...... generic. :agreed:
LOL - Yeah, well my buddy keeps saying "K-Roger" every time we're together and we pass a Kroger, so I was drunk a couple nights ago and bored and decided to have a little shoop fun :lol:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts