Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this SHOULD count as an ERB! :p

it´s mah new 7 string bass! :D (and yeah, i copy/pasted my thread from ss.org. too lazy to re-do everything! :p)

funny fact: this is the exact same instrument that is pictured on the woodo website! does that mean i have like... the first one or something? :p
check their pictures out, they´re much better than mine: Woodo Guitars

now, i nearly shat my pants when i saw the size of this damn thing... the neck is HUGE! :D

now, let´s say the bad shit first: i can´t say i´m too impressed by the fine details on the thing, it´s rather crudely put together. there are little tiny mistakes in the wood here and there, but nothing that makes a difference for playability or sound or anything like that, and it looks alot more nice than ugly :p

as you can see though, there´s a "knot" in the maple on the back of the neck. you can´t feel it, but it looks a little weird :p (this is proof, btw, that this is the very bass pictured on their website!)

other things that were "wrong", was some little tiny dents here and there, and some other little things like that. i think the only thing that´s "wrong" that affects playability, is the frets not being perfect on the edges. also, the frets are a little oxidized, if that´s the right word to use here. like there´s a little black rust-looking stuff on a couple frets. they´re still totally smooth though.

the transition from neck to body looks a little shoddy, but it feels right. the headstock veneer isn´t perfect around the edges, but again, you don´t really notice it until you look for it.

the saddles are a little "dusted" with sawdust, and there are some wood chips that are still kinda hanging on in the string holes for the string-through-body.

aside from these imperfect aesthetics though, the woods look great, and aside from the fret edges it plays great! there´s a little fret buzz and stuff, so it needs a setup, but it´s been shipped in cooold weather, so :p

it sounds like a hifi-ish bass, with loads of clarity, and it´s got some nice sustain! i´m guessing the fact that it´s walnut wings on a maple/walnut neck has something to do with that :p

the pickups are good, the electronics are good, and i´m quite impressed by the wilkinson tuners!

i just need to get some strings that are more to my liking, and the low f# string (it´s got an extra high f# at the moment, which i tune to high E like a normal 7 string guitar an octave down)

then i need to give it some toothbrush action on the string saddles and stuff, and maybe clean out the string-holes.

i´ll say the quality control is like rondo music´s agile instruments. there are silly little mistakes here and there, but they don´t really distract from the instrument´s looks, and you end up loving it so much you just can´t make yourself depart with it :p

i need to get a bag for this too, my guitar bag would be blown apart by this beast :p

and yes, it´s a bit heavy :)

any questions? (yes, i´m making a video!)

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
damn! that's not a fretboard, it's a shelf.

:lol:

·
Premium Member
1,067 Posts
Congratz! I can't find price in USD. Can you tell me it please

·
I'm full of Hell...
411 Posts
I see what you're saying about the imperfections but otherwise it looks to be pretty sweet piece. :metal:

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Congratz! I can't find price in USD. Can you tell me it please
i don´t think they show the price in dollars on the site, but i used a currency calculator for you:

7.650 swedish Krona = 871,6 US dollars. i think that´s with 25% VAT added, though... not sure about that part :p

also, look here for shipping info if you´re buying: Woodo Guitars

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

this thing has the tightest and most steady/not rumbling low end i´ve ever gotten in a bass, and it does well with distortion too (as long as you use a gate to shut the single coil pickups up, of course), so i think it´ll sound awesome on recordings. it really sounds "hi fi", if that makes any sense, like it´s really clear and tight.

·
Premium Member
1,067 Posts
i don´t think they show the price in dollars on the site, but i used a currency calculator for you:

7.650 swedish Krona = 871,6 US dollars. i think that´s with 25% VAT added, though... not sure about that part :p

also, look here for shipping info if you´re buying: Woodo Guitars

·
Head of Agile Gestapo
5,675 Posts
What tuning will you use?

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
right now it´s tuned to another extra high string above the high C, so it´s like a 6 string with an extra high F.

i´m going to tune it with an extra low f# instead, moving the whole tuning down a string.

i´m going to have the low string made by garry goodman (gotta measure and take pics of the B string soon), and i´m going to have it made perfect for a low F, so i can go up to f# and down to E without too much hassle.

i´ve filmed the intro of the video, will shoot more when i have the time. i´ll keep tweaking my pod settings until i have it right, so you guys can hear all that it´s capable of.

and as a side note: any pointers as to what i can do to get rid of the single coil noise? it´s still there when the pickup blend know is set to the middle, so i´m assuming they´re not wired out of phase with each other? (like position 2 and 4 on a strat or whatever)

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
thats not out of phase dude, its opposing polarity ;)

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
thats not out of phase dude, its opposing polarity ;)
that´s what i was looking for, yeah :p

and yeah, i really notice my wrist isn´t used to playing bookshelves like that, and i have to have it really high up when playing with a strap. otherwise i can´t actually reach all the way around it :p

it´s a hilarious feeling when you grab it by the neck to pick it up, and you can´t actually grab around it... and you have to grab it right by the neck joint, because it´s really long and really heavy :p

1 - 14 of 14 Posts