Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

So this is what i picked up a couple days ago:

The guitar is really resonant and sounds great. I'm still waiting for a truss rod wrench to come by the mail (it has a different size screw than my other guitars) because the neck has a big underbow, making the action pretty high. Also ordered new springs and a trem bar. I have a 30 day return option on this so i'm waiting to set it up perfectly before i decide.

Spec wise this guitar is hard to beat... Ebony board, neck through, original floyd rose, the pickups (EMGs by idk which ones) sound good but I might replace them later on with a BKP Miracle Man in the bridge and 2 singles to be determined.

The only bummer are the little white dots that where drilled and filled with some kind of chalk by the previous owner... It doesn't affect playability at all but it really annoys me visually. If I end up keeping the guitar i"ll give to a luthier anyways because it needs a fret dress but do you guys think he can fill those holes and make it invisible? The guy who drilled them didn't even align them properly...

And do you guys have an estimate of the the year of production of this guitar? I'm guessing 1991 according to some catalog pictures i found but couldn't find the exact same guitar so I'm not sure.

Hope you enjoy!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all! Fun part is i found it on the guitar center used gear section. The holes are the little white dots on the fingerboard at frets 15, 17, 19 etc... Normally there's only the rectangle inlays on the top of the fingerboard.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
I have the exact same model and love it.

That entire floyd route is aftermarket BTW. If you put a non Sinclair trem on these you need to do that to get acceptable action. If it's well done that's nothing to worry about, and actually makes the guitar better, Sinclairs suck.

·
Bork!
8,292 Posts
Awesome score there, mate. :yesway:

Edit: I'd actually kind of dig those extra dots if they were done well. Shame they're not lined up better.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I have the exact same model and love it.

That entire floyd route is aftermarket BTW. If you put a non Sinclair trem on these you need to do that to get acceptable action. If it's well done that's nothing to worry about, and actually makes the guitar better, Sinclairs suck.
Thanks for the comments! I really like this guitar more and more, and i'm sure theres a way to fix the holes.

They actually fitted OFRs in the Mirage after a certain year (they also changed the headstock shape to avoid issues with Jackson in the USA). I found this website with all the past ESP catalogs:

ESP Guitars & Basses - Russian Website

Check out the 1991 Export, they all have OFR, smaller headstocks and are routed like this, that's what makes me think it's from '91.

Edit: I actually can't see if they an OFR or Sinclair but they do have a route unlike the earlier Mirage models with the pointy headstock

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Thanks for the comments! I really like this guitar more and more, and i'm sure theres a way to fix the holes.

They actually fitted OFRs in the Mirage after a certain year (they also changed the headstock shape to avoid issues with Jackson in the USA). I found this website with all the past ESP catalogs:

ESP Guitars & Basses - Russian Website

Check out the 1991 Export, they all have OFR, smaller headstocks and are routed like this, that's what makes me think it's from '91.
Yeah but the stock routes have paint that matches the color scheme, as the catalog shows. Yours is black. Does yours have a neck angle?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hmm you're right it might be aftermarket now that i look at it more closely. The neck doesn't seem to have an angle with the body.

·
Could be Hitler
7,666 Posts
Very Nice!:metal:

·
MG.ORG Irregular
9,747 Posts
I can tell you right now that guitar was never a top mount, you'd not be able to convert it without chopping off the neck and gluing it back on.

Either way that guitar has OFR studs and you don't need to swap studs from the sinclair trem to an OFR they have the same spacing.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts