Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine was moving and gave me this 90's Washburn. It looks like its a Mercury series MG30 maybe? There is no serial number on the head stock or on the neck plate. Was totally surprised to see this awesome flamed maple neck when I picked it up. Looks like it hasn't been played in a good while, going to clean it up and put fresh strings on it this weekend.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Looks good, especially for free:yesway: I like the color. Is it an ebony board?
Thanks I found another one online the color is called "Vegas Gold" Pretty sure its just a rosewood Fret board its pretty dirty right now. Going to clean it up this weekend and oil the fret board. It even came with a free casio keyboard too!

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
That looks sweet, and it'll look better once you clean it up.

Enjoy!

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thats a project guitar begging to be super modded
I just plugged it in this morning the switch was a little spotty but I cleaned it with contact cleaner and it came right to life. Stock pickups are pretty decent But I could see changing them out down the road. I may put a better bridge on this like a non tune floyd on this or a Modern gotoh or wilkinson 2 point bridge on here with locking tuners and a Tusq nut

·
Read Only
2,581 Posts
I just plugged it in this morning the switch was a little spotty but I cleaned it with contact cleaner and it came right to life. Stock pickups are pretty decent But I could see changing them out down the road. I may put a better bridge on this like a non tune floyd on this or a Modern gotoh or wilkinson 2 point bridge on here with locking tuners and a Tusq nut
Stick a floyd in it, new pups, a split coil switch, a kill switch, scallop the frets, the whole 9.

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Replaced the original chrome trem with a new black one I had in my parts bin. The original was pitted and corroded and the intonation adjustment springs were rusted. Also cleaned and oiled the fret board, It soaked up two coats of Jim Dunlop No 2 deep fret conditioner like nothing.

washburn 5.jpg

·
OldSchool Blacksmith
2,866 Posts
Great score - we all need friends like that!

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just swapped the bridge pickup this afternoon. The original pickup was 2 wire conductor and at first it sounded good, but after playing it awhile it sounded like I was only on one coil. So I dug around in my parts and found a set from an Ernie Ball Axis I had bought used and forgot about. Stuck the bridge pickup in it and now its sounding pretty good again.

zebra.jpg Zebra 3.jpg Zebra4.jpg

1 - 17 of 17 Posts