Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in a tough situation. There is a studer/revox 4 track 1/4 inch reel to reel for sale locally and I'd love to mix down stems on it. I just sold a piece of gear and could afford to grab it. But i also have a small amount of debt that could be better paid off and don't really -need- a reel to reel. But how often does studer quality stuff show up, ya know?

·
Read Only
3 Posts
Unless you have super premium analog front end gear, analog tape is totally not worth it. You will only see the downsides of tape, and not realize any of the upsides. I'm not saying to not purchase gear, just not to purchase the tape deck.

·
Super Moderator
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Unless you have super premium analog front end gear, analog tape is totally not worth it. You will only see the downsides of tape, and not realize any of the upsides. I'm not saying to not purchase gear, just not to purchase the tape deck.
I can respect this line of thinking for sure.

Is this your final word on the subject? I've read a bunch of stuff about bouncing stems etc. what is the downside to this? just general high noise/flubby badness?

·
Super Moderator
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
p.s - i only have one good preamp(UA LA-610) the rest are just mackie onyx pres which while i don't think they are bad, sound pretty "regular" and don't really impart a good or bad sound that i can tell.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Gear will always be around. Getting rid of outstanding debt should be everybody's first priority.

·
Squirrel...
3,157 Posts
It depends on what is considered a small amount of debt.

If paying it off now is only going to save you a couple of months worth of interest, then buy the gear. If it's something that at present is going to take a decent amount of time to pay off, then put the money towards the debt.

·
Read Only
3 Posts
I can respect this line of thinking for sure.

Is this your final word on the subject? I've read a bunch of stuff about bouncing stems etc. what is the downside to this? just general high noise/flubby badness?
You bounce a stem to tape, then it has to come back into the computer going through your prosumer board and prosumer converters, which to me negates the slight benefit of the tape. Add to that the noise from the tape. Then add in the fact that your "stems" are still being summed by the digital mixer in your DAW, so you don't get analog summing. Add to that the cost of tape. You can't continue to use the same tape over and over, or the sonics go to crap.

Tape for tracking? Sure, if you've got a nice front end for it.
Tape for final mixdown? Absolutely.
Tape for "warming stems" and then re-importing? Not worth it, IMO.

Also, 1/4" is REALLY small. If you were doing 2 track mixes to 1/4" tape, maybe, but 1/2" for mixdown is where it's at.

·
18,790 Posts
You bounce a stem to tape, then it has to come back into the computer going through your prosumer board and prosumer converters, which to me negates the slight benefit of the tape. Add to that the noise from the tape. Then add in the fact that your "stems" are still being summed by the digital mixer in your DAW, so you don't get analog summing. Add to that the cost of tape. You can't continue to use the same tape over and over, or the sonics go to crap.

Tape for tracking? Sure, if you've got a nice front end for it.
Tape for final mixdown? Absolutely.
Tape for "warming stems" and then re-importing? Not worth it, IMO.

Also, 1/4" is REALLY small. If you were doing 2 track mixes to 1/4" tape, maybe, but 1/2" for mixdown is where it's at.
:agreed: I've recorded and mixed with 2", 24-track with a big old analogue board and gear and loved it (still have my reel of tape sitting on a shelf), but I knew a guy who had a 1/4" reel to reel that he used with his DIGI002/Presonus based rig in much the same way you're planning, and he ended up getting rid of it because he found he was never using it. With the gear you have, and this specific reel to reel, you'd probably get better results out of a tape sim plugin.

·
Super Moderator
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
fair enough. I appreciate the comments. i was on the fence about it because i wasn't sure if this would be the case. I'll pass on it and hopefully one day come across a better deal on a better machine.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Do you have any kids? A spouse? If the answer is no, then run your debt as high as you can. Take out new credit cards to pay off the old ones. Die deeply in debt, fucking your creditors. :yesway:

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
:agreed: If you have no family that you particularly care about, and don't plan on changing that, who are you hurting? :lol:
The rest of us, with all those family things, who get raped with high interest rates :lol:

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
The rest of us, with all those family things, who get raped with high interest rates :lol:
Don't hate the playa, hate the game.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts