Metal Guitarist Forums banner
21 - 40 of 59 Posts
The more I listen to this song, the more I agree with the Magma comments. It doesn't make me want to listen to it over and over, nor has any of it gotten stuck in my head, but I still dig it. The video is really cool, like top ten coolest metal videos cool. But the song isn't even top ten Gojira songs cool. Hopefully, if this is part of a new album, the rest isn't more of the same.

I agree that the guitar tones aren't my favorite, nor was the mix in general and the song isn't groundbreaking for Gojira.

But I don't care, I'm still in that early phase of loving a band where they can't do any wrong for me yet. I don't trust mixes until the whole album is out and in my possession, I've heard enough change from the first single to release to know better, especially Youtube vids.

It's definitely not The Heaviest Matter In The Universe, but I really like their overall sound, so even the more chill tracks like this one are pretty awesome to me.

Was just thinking the other day it was time for new Gojira. Like this a lot more than Another World.

Ok, liked it even more the second time around. :james:

I'm with everyone on liking it better than Another World. That had a superb chorus but this one has more of the interesting angular stuff that I want from them, shaping up to be another great record.

I'm with everyone on liking it better than Another World. That had a superb chorus but this one has more of the interesting angular stuff that I want from them, shaping up to be another great record.
Yeah, I'm another voice in agreement. This is much more in the direction I wanted them to go.

I feel like I'm fully done with this band, and it's honestly a bit upsetting. Maybe it's just the fact that I'm sick of modern metal in general, but I always felt Gojira were different. More interesting and unique. But maybe it's that unique-ness that's starting to wear a bit thin? All I know is I had to turn this off after about a minute. Probably the best band on the planet right now, Mario certainly being the most interesting drummer, but fuck I just can't get into it :shrug:

This is a much better song than the first single, but man I cannot get into that guitar tone. They used to sound so weighty, and this is more of that plasticy, fake tone that everyone uses these days. It lacks balls.

This is a much better song than the first single, but man I cannot get into that guitar tone. They used to sound so weighty, and this is more of that plasticy, fake tone that everyone uses these days. It lacks balls.
Maybe they were recording with their new plugin...

...and shitshow in 3... 2... 1...

Edit: Also, are we listening to the same track? I hear what you're saying about the guitar tone, but I think it may be the mix. For one thing, I really noticed that I can hear the bass guitar, even on syncopated parts.

Maybe they were recording with their new plugin...

...and shitshow in 3... 2... 1...

Edit: Also, are we listening to the same track? I hear what you're saying about the guitar tone, but I think it may be the mix. For one thing, I really noticed that I can hear the bass guitar, even on syncopated parts.
I definitely don't like the mix all that much.

I think they may be just doing too much to quickly. They have been putting out material pretty quick in music world terms and striking while they're hot, which is smart. But sometimes taking a little break can give a band time to relax and maybe time to write more/better material? Could be the opposite but somewhere along the line the freshness kinda dies if you dont let it breath.

Full disclosure.... Im a huge fan, all I want is for them not to "settle" just to put out new material. For that matter, they could tour for a long time even without a new release when the plague subsides.

I think they may be just doing too much to quickly. They have been putting out material pretty quick in music world terms and striking while they're hot, which is smart. But sometimes taking a little break can give a band time to relax and maybe time to write more/better material? Could be the opposite but somewhere along the line the freshness kinda dies if you dont let it breath.

Full disclosure.... Im a huge fan, all I want is for them not to "settle" just to put out new material. For that matter, they could tour for a long time even without a new release when the plague subsides.
I mean, their last album came out 5 years ago!

21 - 40 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.