Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while back, I had heard that Duke LeJeune of AudioKinesis was getting into live sound cabs. After hearing about a prototype shown at a Talkbass gathering, as well as the size/weight specs (and knowing I would soon be in NYC) I placed an order for one. Following some understandable delays (driver specs, humidity/finish issues) the cab arrived today.

A box!

Coco, my roommate's pet had to go check it out. I refuse to call her a "dog" because real dogs weigh more than 12 pounds.

Excellent pack job.

A recessed handle!

Say hello to the AudioKinesis ThunderChild!

34 lbs of fury! The orange things are port plugs, which serve to change the cabinet's tuning; great for boomy rooms. I popped them out for now.

The gigging rig! This thing is easily louder, clearer, and has more "punch" than that Eden 2x10 behind it, and might even give the 2x12 a run for its money volume-wise.

Some bass boost to give that 12" woofer a workout.

That big horn/compression driver is crossed over low, and Duke spent a lot of time developing and tweaking the crossover to match the dispersion pattern of the 12" woofer at that frequency. The result? You'd never know this was a 2-way cab.

Heavy-duty, solid switches on the back. One turns the horn/compression driver off altogether, the other gradually rolls off treble response around 3.5k for a more "vintagey" response. Sounds great with and without the rolloff engaged. None of the "fizz" you get with a piezo tweeter here!

I love it!

So far, I've only had it about as loud as I can get away with in my basement apartment, which is still pretty loud. Excellent clarity and depth, and it sounds much "bigger" than it is. There's no compression, farting, or any indication that it's working hard, even when slapping the low E or playing down on the low B. With a little parametric EQ love from the Eden, it's great-sounding for electric cello too.

The big bonus to this design (aside from the small size/light weight/high power handling) is that with that massive horn, you get incredible horizontal sonic dispersion. Even standing to the side, you hear the mids and highs clearly, which you don't usually get with guitar or bass cabs.

At 4 ohms, it's an excellent single-cab solution as well, since it pulls all 400W from my WT400, and it's unlikely to have any issues, even with the amp cranking. And, at 34 lbs with a well-placed handle it's very subway-capable.

Duke was a stand-up guy to deal with. Very up-front, honest, and down to earth, and you can tell he loves talking about and building speakers. Fit and finish is excellent and all the little details like the recessed handles, airtight Speakon+1/4" combo jacks and bombproof switches are well-thought-out and executed.

Can't wait to take this thing out for a gig or two!

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
You have basically a full studio worth of gear in there. :lol:

·
Mod Britannia
7,233 Posts
Looks like a nicely designed cab :yesway:

You seem to have a rat problem though from the pics. An odd kind of white, curly haired rat, but definitely a rat none the less. Better set some traps. :agreed:

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Sweet. And quite an awesome selection of gear!

I'd be curious to hear how it sounds with a guitar amp.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You have basically a full studio worth of gear in there. :lol:
I know, I'm a whore :lol:

No mics or interfaces or anything though :(

After this thing gets its trial by fire, if it holds up well the Eden furniture might get sold (or at least some of it might.)

·
Thread Killer
6,491 Posts
How does it sound with the mesa? Im glad it sounds better than it looks :lol: Looks like a plain jane PA speaker. :lol:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How does it sound with the mesa? Im glad it sounds better than it looks :lol: Looks like a plain jane PA speaker. :lol:
Incidentally, this thing makes a kick-ass music playback speaker too! I'm currently blasting Karnivool at rather unhealthy levels while I make dinner :lol:

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Probably awful - bass cabs tend to be a bit more full-frequency, especially with drivers like that, than guitar cabs.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Probably awful - bass cabs tend to be a bit more full-frequency, especially with drivers like that, than guitar cabs.
Pretty much. Clean or lightly gritty for bass or guitar, it sounds pretty good.

Distorted, hell no. Fizzy/synthy city, although the "vintage" switch helps somewhat with the Budda. The Mesa's distortion is just too bright for it, and guitar like that through fullrange cabs just doesn't sound "right." Not enough midrange emphasis either.

The Mesa on the clean channel sounds AWESOME as a bass head through that cab though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts