Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Big
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

God damn, this new album is awesome. Best trad metal disc of the year, possibly best metal disc, period, for 2010. Can't wait to see them with Blind Guardian.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Don't you mean you can't wait to see them kicked off the tour by Blind Guardian? :lol:

·
Read Only
3 Posts
BG has a reputation for being very good to the bands on their tours... just not to the local support.

The new Holy Grail is really good!

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
Hmm. May have to give that a listen.

Still probably not enough to get me to go see BG, though. :lol:

·
Big
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmm. May have to give that a listen.

Still probably not enough to get me to go see BG, though. :lol:
Do check it out. It's the singer from White Wizzard's High Speed GTO EP. Actually, it's most of that band. Holy Grail is the shiz.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Gotta say I'm not to big a fan of the vocals, reminds me too much of

I've tried to get into them before, and I understand the aim is to go for a kind of thrash halford vocal style, but he seriously has a really similar whiny infliction similar to the avenged sevenfold douche.

And best album of 2010? Have you heard...

Arsis - Starve For The Devil
Immolation - Majesty and Decay
Decrepit Birth - Polarity
Heathen - The Evolution Of Chaos

·
Read Only
3 Posts
I do think the vocalist sounds like the guy from A7X sometimes too... that doesn't bother me at all though.

·
Big
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
And best album of 2010? Have you heard...

Arsis - Starve For The Devil
Immolation - Majesty and Decay
Heathen - The Evolution Of Chaos
Yep, heard them all. Actually, I own three of them. The Arsis is good, but it's like the third best Arsis disc, at best. It's deficient in madness. Immolation sucks now, and has always sucked. I cannot stand that band, and by some perverse design of the gods, I have seen them live at LEAST ten times. The Decrepit Birth is quite awesome, but not as good as the last one. It's a top 10 disc, though. I was pretty disappointed with the Heathen. It sounds good, and has all the right ingredients for a good thrash disc, but the songwriting just doesn't stack up. The new Forbidden is way better.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
I've tried to get into them before, and I understand the aim is to go for a kind of thrash halford vocal style, but he seriously has a really similar whiny infliction similar to the avenged sevenfold douche.
I was wondering if I was the only one who thought that. He's way better than that dude, but the tonality is the same.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
No love for Immolation :(

I haven't even thought of my favorite albums of 2010, and I have yet to check out the new forbidden in depth. New Star One is awesome, and Sodom's new one drops in like a month. Just for kicks, what was your top ten of 2010?

And third best Arsis disc is still better than pretty much everything. I'm undecided on which DB is better but polarity is still and awesome album, but yeah Diminishing Between Worlds is hard to top.

And I'm not saying they suck like avenged sevenfold, just drawing a parrallel to illustrate the kind of nasally vocal style I'm not too fond of.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
I was wondering if I was the only one who thought that. He's way better than that dude, but the tonality is the same.
Its the Axl Rose tonality :lol: And yes Holy Grail > Avenged Sevenfold by a long shot. But with someone more halford esque they would be alot better IMO.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Ahh, the BAND holy grail. I thought this was gonna be a thread about some kind of new Engl, Axe-FX or Bareknuckle bulb signature pickup or something :lol:

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
I was pretty disappointed with the Heathen. It sounds good, and has all the right ingredients for a good thrash disc, but the songwriting just doesn't stack up. The new Forbidden is way better.
The Heathen has 3 awesome songs, and a bunch of "meh" ones. The Forbidden lacks the awesome (except maybe "Adapt or Die"), but has a lot less "meh".

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Immolation sucks now, and has always sucked. I cannot stand that band, and by some perverse design of the gods, I have seen them live at LEAST ten times.
Holy shit. This is weirder, and possibly worse than Matt Crooks not liking Rust in Piece. Holy shit.

My mind has been blown. :lol:

·
Big
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
contenders, methinks:

Holy Grail - Crisis in Utopia
Angra - Aqua
Intronaut - Valley of Smoke
Anathema - We're Here Because We're Here
Hail of Bullets - On Divine Winds
Dofka - Humanity Bleak
Slough Feg - Animal Spirits
Enditol - s/t

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
contenders, methinks:

Holy Grail - Crisis in Utopia
Angra - Aqua
Intronaut - Valley of Smoke
Anathema - We're Here Because We're Here
Hail of Bullets - On Divine Winds
Dofka - Humanity Bleak
Slough Feg - Animal Spirits
Enditol - s/t
I thought the Angra was too ballad-y. I'll agree on Enditol and HoB, though. :yesway:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts