Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Happy Saturday!

Today I got my first personal Apple product - the iPhone 4S.

Then I got iTunes installed on my laptop, and the Apple ID.

First off, I'm not entirely learned on syncing. If I have it set to sync my library and not specific albums/artists/etc, will it take forever searching for new stuff every time I sync up?

Facebook - do I need the app to finally get in on being able to post mobile uploads?

iCloud/wi-fi iTunes - I've found the Settings for iCloud, but I don't see an icon for it. I'd like to be able to do the over-the-air thing :).

What should I know about the phone and the software? Any apps that are stupidly handy to have?

I have a lot of email contacts on my phone that I want to mass delete, and apparently you can do that in iTunes - but I don't see any sort of "contacts" option.

I'm new to this, I've avoided jumping on the "i-bla" craze for years. I'd just like to have a ton of music, make great use of Siri, 1080p camera and general "this is almost my laptop in my phone" action.

Thanks!

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
Wirelessly posted (A Destroyer of short people: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Apps:

Facebook!!!!
Flashlight
Remote
Flikr

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I went into Contacts and it's got Hotmail, All contacts, iCloud... why is there no "SIM contacts?"

I just deleted a shit-ton of hotmail contacts by hand... unfun!

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
Some of the "Around Me" apps are really handy.

Astronomy Photo of the Day will give you a limitless supply of screensaver pictures!

The syncing seems to be pretty efficient. I believe if you sync your library, and add new stuff, it won't take that much longer.

I think iCloud is basically just a service that syncs the things you want across the devices, not really something necessarily needing an icon.

The sync to iTunes via wi-fi is settings -> general -> iTunes wi-fi sync. You will need to be plugged into a power source, however.

I have my contacts synced with Outlook, so I use Outlook to manage my contacts. iTunes basically just gives me the option of what I want to use to sync contacts, not really a way to edit/manage them.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I had a bunch of contacts I don't use and it was all email addresses - pretty big annoyance :lol:. So now I have some of my contacts complete with email and/or phone numbers. It looked like some of the names were taken from Facebook as well, though that's not a group under contacts (eg. Ohio Eric and Leon were in there as emails).

EDIT: So I found out how to import SIM contacts, but unfortunately it wasn't my entire list from my old phone. Now I have some numbers in iCloud, a lot in hotmail, and a few overlap.

I'm supposed to be able to edit video and photos on the phone but I don't see anything for it in options when the camera app is open.

Looks like I have a lot to learn!

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
I had a bunch of contacts I don't use and it was all email addresses - pretty big annoyance :lol:. So now I have some of my contacts complete with email and/or phone numbers. It looked like some of the names were taken from Facebook as well, though that's not a group under contacts (eg. Ohio Eric and Leon were in there as emails).

EDIT: So I found out how to import SIM contacts, but unfortunately it wasn't my entire list from my old phone. Now I have some numbers in iCloud, a lot in hotmail, and a few overlap.

I'm supposed to be able to edit video and photos on the phone but I don't see anything for it in options when the camera app is open.

Looks like I have a lot to learn!
There's an edit option in the Photo app for editing photos; same goes for video. For more advanced video editing, there's iMovie for iOS that's pretty slick.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Sweet. I want to make some vids.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cheers dude!

EDIT: It brings me to a blank search page :(

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks!

Angry Birds :yesway:

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Thanks!

Angry Birds :yesway:
Cut the Rope is good too, as is Fruit Ninja and Dark Nebula. For amp modelers, AmpKit+ with the Apogee JAM is the best sounding combination. Polytune is a great tuner. Capo is cool for learning tunes, because it allows you to slow stuff down.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks guys!

How do I take a screenshot?

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
I think there's a iphone version of CyanogenMod in development, so just wait for that, and you'll be good..

:lol:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts