Metal Guitarist Forums banner

new Joe Bonamassa song (and album)

2K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  406 
#1 ·
#5 ·
This has always been Bonamassa to me. I liked him best with Black Country Communion, since he's another player that needs guys that challenge him. It's kinda like how all the good Clapton stuff was when he was in bands (Bluesbreakers, Cream, DatD), rather than a solo artist.

#3 ·
Yeah, not a bad song by any means, but given the success of "Driving Towards The Daylight", I can see how he's trying to get radio airplay again with this.

I am going to get the album anyway, but of course I am hoping for something a little bit more exciting.

#4 ·
Makes sense, it's probably about six months since he released something. :agreed:

EDIT - listening now. Lyrics are kind of meh, song itself is fine, though. However, the chorus... I love the keychange, but it feels like there just needs to be more intensity there. Harder hitting drum performance, maybe bring up the bass and distorted rhythm (or add one, it's tough to say) a bit, and really hammer it home. Lead playing and tone of course is staggering. Tone more than anything.

Also, Bonnamassa does great studio videos. :agreed:

#8 ·
I'd be fine with that - lyrics about trucks and Buds and girls named Girl wearing painted on jeans that fit just right are conspicuously absent. I can deal. :lol:

#9 ·
It's actually been quote awhile since driving towards the daylight. This album is entirely originals, all written by Joe. I've heard two other songs live, and I'm pretty excited for the album. I've got tickets to see him in Sydney I'm September. He seems to be using strats again quite a lot which is good. I love his Lea Paul tone but these days I'm just really into my strats

#10 ·
I'm a huge fan of Joe's, so I love this. Any new Bonamassa stuff is welcome in my book. You've gotta give it to him, he's one of the hardest working guys around. And yeah, that lead tone is lush. I know tone is all in the fingers but a gorgeous '59 burst will help with that. One of my favourite players ever and I think his voice gets better and better too. Can't wait to see him again in the UK.

#15 ·
I love Joe's playing and singing, and I love a lot of his songs, but I'm finding it hard to enjoy his music lately with how painfully aware of his doctors-and-lawyers demographic he is :lol: I'll never see him live, because tickets are just ridiculously overpriced, and his online promotion is focusing more and more on how he's a mind-blowingly-legendary-best-of-all-time guitarist. I just can't take him seriously anymore, I just see a giant ego, whether that's his fault or whoever's handling his marketing and management :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.