Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

A lot of people on my FB feed don't seem to be digging this too much, saying it builds up to something and just doesn't pay off.

To me Karnivool has never been a band made of singles, but every album of theirs is much more of a single body of music on it's own, and this sounds like the new album will be no different. "We Are" has me captivated emotionally and I am having to now wait eagerly for the whole album in order to experience the pay off, and now I'm looking forward to it more than ever.

·
Premium Member
1,768 Posts
Beautiful! This is just what I've been waiting for to hear from them. For those who have been waiting for the live DVD, it appears it will be bundled with the Physical Deluxe edition of the new album, which is to be titled Asymmetry. The release date appears to be 19 July.

http://www.karnivool.com.au/music

·
Argh
2,658 Posts
As a big fan of Sound Awake I've been quite underwhelmed with the two new songs I've heard so far. But I'll wait to listen to the full album before making my mind up.

·
Wanker (reprise)
362 Posts
I heard this and thought, great production, great vocals, absolutely boring song. I have no doubt though that in time and in the context of an album I will love it. They aren't really a band for isolated song listening in my opinion. :2cents:

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
Definitely agree with the not being about the singles thing. Also agree with Joel though, quite underwhelmed so far.

·
Premium Member
1,768 Posts
Maybe I'm a few steps in front of you guys because I'd already heard some live bootlegs of the song a while back, but I love it. Melodically, it stays purposefully tame for some time, building up tension, then breaks into something almost resembling a hook, then back again, then into the gorgeous chord progression of the chorus.

It's Karnivool doing what they're best at, except this is something different. Whereas Themata and Sound Awake typically had separate sections in the song structures to keep the dichotomy going, this song seems to transition much more seamlessly. The production sounds more natural, more like they're all playing in a room together.

Honestly, I can say this is everything I'd hoped to hear from the new single. A great song, but not a continuation of the previous album. I'm confident that the new album is going to be terrific.

Tracklisting:
1. Aum
2. Nachash
3. A.M. War
4. We Are
5. The Refusal
6. Aeons
7. Asymmetry
8. Eidolon
9. Sky Machine
10. Amusia
11. The Last Few
12. Float
13. Alpha
14. Om

·
18,790 Posts
I love it. Production is so raw and live, it's the perfect way to follow up Sound Awake without trying to sound like they were going for "Sound Awake II". Plus, the way this song starts and ends, I'd be shocked if it didn't connect to the songs before and after it on the album. Songwriting sounds like Karnivool, I don't know what people were expecting.

Plus the video is just excellent.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
I don't know that I'm feeling it yet either, but as with Sound Awake I need to hear it in context with the album. Also, I didn't like Sound Awake at all at first, and now it's one of my favorite albums. karnivool just takes some absorbing, I think.

·
Curls for the Girls
381 Posts
I couldnt be more excited man. These guys have been in my top 3 ever since i first heard themata. Ive noticed with these guys, you literally heard something you didnt before everytime you listen to their stuff, ESPECIALLY on Sound Awake

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
After a couple more listens, I'm actually digging it.

I have to remember not to have first listens of stuff like this in a car with a screaming/blabbing kid. :lol:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Sounds like Sound Awake to me :shrug:

I dig it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts