Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
I always thought a lot of lamb of God was Adler's drumming, kind of miss it, or am I the only one?
I'd love to agree with you, but he kinda stopped being interesting around Sacrament.

Also, vox are WAY too loud.
Also started with Sacrament. I swear, that was the album that destroyed LoG.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Asskicking music as always. I'd like this much better without the vocals, I think I just outgrew this kind of thing. :lol: These guys are really good at what they do, though.

oldballs.jpg

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
Charvel So Cal & San Dimas
6,916 Posts
It's definitely got a lot more generic and less idiosyncratic. Adler's drumming not only added a particular groove but also a tonal element. Using a power piccolo snare and all those stupid fast quads he'd slip in everywhere was a hugely identifiable feature.

They seem to be doing what all bands do once they're however-many albums down the line; they sound like an exercise that comes with a guitar magazine. "Learn riffs in the style of X!" Gojira did that about 3 albums ago which is around the time I switched off. This sounds like a track "in the style of Lamb of God".

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
I like Lamb of God, I own two of their albums, the track was sorta cool.

But honestly, criticizing any Lamb of God track for being "paint by numbers" is like saying, "The new Fast and Furious movie was cool, but I don't like the fact it featured cars".

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Also, YMMV, but I would be perfectly OK with never hearing another track in Double Harmonic Minor (although it goes by a lot of names, sometimes "egyptian" or "byzantine") as long I live. You know, where you flatten the 2nd and raise the 3rd, relative to the regular harmonic minor scale. (Although technically it's called double harmonic minor because you replaced the first tetrachord with a different one) The entire point of that is that it sounds "exotic", but it became so overused it is now the opposite of exotic.

It just makes any metal sound like it was written in ~2008, when it was at maximum popularity. (Demonstrated here, particularly at 1:30 ish)

Although Nile still can use it for obvious reasons. They kind of get grandfather claus'd in on that one.

·
Banned
1,542 Posts
I think Chris's drumming is a huge part of what made LOG sound so linear and similar from song to song, album to album. I'll be curious to hear how the rest of this album sounds.

·
Not baked anymore.
3,555 Posts
I've only heard it on my phone so I can't comment on it too much outside of it reminding me of something off of Wraith. I certainly expect them to stay close to the stuff they've been doing since Sacrament, which is, I believe, the primary reason Adler is out. They took a chance with that one song with clean vocals on the last album, but the writing style is pretty much the same.

The one thing I'm hoping for the most is that Randy and Mark go political on this with the lyrics and call shit out like they were in the Bush days. There were already a bunch of Trumpers on the Blabbermouth post for the video bitching about the "liberal tear lyrics". :rofl:

As for Art, I don't fully expect him to break into his own thing on this album. Mangini didn't with Dream Theater, La Torre didn't on the newest Ryche and with the drums being such an integral part of LoG's background, I wouldn't be surprised if he feels the need to retain a certain feel/style until he gets comfortable being the new drummer and not a hired gun.

·
is on drug whatever
6,523 Posts
Blimey, it's been a while since these guys put out something I enjoyed... well over a decade (AotW was the last one I actually liked!)! I don't think this has changed that unfortunately, but I will go back and listen to one of their older albums on my commute tomorrow. :metal:

·
Thread Killer
2,196 Posts
It's lamb of god style, but literally, it's drum parts written by someone writing in the style of Adler if that makes sense? The bit that I'm finding is that it seems a bit by numbers.
Yep, totally know what you're saying. I was discussing the new guy with a drummer friend when they released a play through video, and we both came to the conclusion that he's a solid drummer but hasn't got the X factor.

It's hard though, I think LOG are a victim of their own success, when a band comes out with a sound that is so identifiable, it eventually gets picked clean and they turn into a by numbers version of themselves. The only band I've seen consistently defy that is Carcass.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.