Metal Guitarist Forums banner

21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
i dont really have much experience with amps but i'll throw my 2cents in.

i started out with my dads Marshall JTM45 head running through a JCM900 cab. i loved this amp but it had no distortion of its own so i had to use all kinds of pedals and stuff which i didnt really care for.

recently i picked up a used Peavey 5150 and i love it. not only can you get some brutal tones from it but its LOUD. through the JCM900 cab i get a really nice balance of lows and highs. however, i would definitely recommend using a noise gate. i now have a line 6 POD x3 live for gate, screamer, and compression and it sounds great. my one complaint about the 5150 is the lack of tightness in the distortion. i've read up on it and apparently putting a new output transformer in the amp will give it a tighter and more articulate sound.

either way i really like my 5150 and i would recommend it for anyone trying to get a really heavy sound

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
Wirelessly posted (A Destroyer of short people: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

If you want to get more tightness out of a 5150 I would buy a tubescreamer.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Wirelessly posted (A Destroyer of short people: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

If you want to get more tightness out of a 5150 I would buy a tubescreamer.
+1

My route has been fairly short to be honest as far as metal amps go.

My first was some crate SS, terrible cleans, terrible distortion but it was loud.

Then came the Line6 Rack setup.
Podt xt Pro, Marshall EL34 power amp, 1960a.
This setup saw me through a good few years, At first i loved it i found it very versatile for any style of music until i played a friends Splawn Quickrod then i suddenly realised just how fake, scratchy & horrible the Line6 modelling sounds.

Then i had what i have currently.
Marshall TSL60 > Peavey 2x12 with 1x V30 & 1x Emi Man O War
This i've been using for about a year and is pretty damn versatile, it needs boosting for most metal but that isnt really an issue.
here are some clips of it doing various metal stuff and also something more rocky.
In memoriam Hammerfall cover

Root of All Evil, Dream theatre cover

The Search for the king - Original content

New song - Original content

In a Heartbeat - 28 days later

At one point i borrowed a friends Starfield Valve Preamp (ibanez) for a King diamond project that never took off
Heres a clip from that into the TSL's power amp

And my next amp is currently on the bench A Soldano SLO clone which i shall have a full review of on monday.

·
Argh
2,658 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

In that case you'll fit right in here. :lol:
(Most of this forum are Mesa biased)

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
Laney VH100R Head w/ 4x12 cab
Time Spent with rig:
1 year
Overview:
100W, EL34 driven head. Excellent, excellent amp with 2 channels, 2 modes for each channel(Clean, Overdriven Clean, Vintage Overdride, Modern Overdrive), FX loop channel A,B, or A+B and return level volume, and multiple outs for extension cabs.
Satisfaction:
Loved this set up because it could cover most tones you could throw at it; reponsive cleans, screaming blues, classic rock, and death metal. Definatley not a one trick pony. The only downside is that it needs to be cranked loundly to give out amazing tones. Not apartment friendly! A-

Blackstar HT-20H w/4x12 cab
Time spent with rig:
6 months
Overview:
2 channels, clean and vintage overdrive, FX loop, and digital reverb. One set of tone controls
Satisfaction:
A fine amp for classic rock, maybe 70's/80's metal, but definitly not modern metal. Great clean channel, okay distortion, mostly geared for classic rock players. The lack of presence and resonance controls is pretty annoying as well. C-

Blackstar HT-Stage 60 2x12 combo amp (**Highly Recommended**)
Time spent with rig:
Current rig :metal:
Overview:
Three channel amp with two modes per channel, Light and Dark reverb button, FX loop with a button that either boosts or cuts FX return level, 2 EL34's in the power section, 2 ECC83's and a single ECC82. Tone control for clean channel, and independant controls for each overdrive channel. Master Presence, Resonance, and volume controls, and digital reverb master control. Dual ISF controls for each overdrive as well.
Satisfaction:
Pretty much the end all be all amp for me now. It can be quiet enough for home practice and loud enough for gigging and band practice. It can cover a wide range of tones, just like the Laney, but the ISF feature really brings it over the top. The more "American" side of the ISF rules for metal rhythm and a TS808 in front just adds more character to an already awesome tone. The ONLY downside is that the amp weighs about 70lbs. It's all tone though. A

·
Baron of Brutality
97 Posts
if you want a simple not to big or expensive amp i love my line six spider 3. great range of tones, great quality, and has a solid metal sound. also has a nice bank of presets mixed to nice metal tones.

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
if you want a simple not to big or expensive amp i love my line six spider 3. great range of tones, great quality, and has a solid metal sound. also has a nice bank of presets mixed to nice metal tones.
Gosh no. Avoid at all costs.

EDIT: The ONLY, and I mean only, redeeming feature of that amp is when you set the knob right between chorus and phaser. I'm considering pulling that chunk of the amp out to have as a pedal.

·
Baron of Brutality
97 Posts
Gosh no. Avoid at all costs.

EDIT: The ONLY, and I mean only, redeeming feature of that amp is when you set the knob right between chorus and phaser. I'm considering pulling that chunk of the amp out to have as a pedal.
meshuggah or riggs Pre set, light delay. great metal sound, great tone.

riggs clean, heavy delay, reverb. awesome clean, trance like tone for a lot of the single string slide riffs i love to use.

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
Wirelessly posted (A Destroyer of short people: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

You use a delay for your rythem sound? A millisecond or something like that to thicken it?

I would take a vox ad15vt or roland cube before those anydau. :shrug:

·
Baron of Brutality
97 Posts
Wirelessly posted (A Destroyer of short people: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

You use a delay for your rythem sound? A millisecond or something like that to thicken it?

I would take a vox ad15vt or roland cube before those anydau. :shrug:
ya i sometimes have a tiny fraction of delay on rhythm, but usually on leads i like to Play with it. it does work to thicken and rings out nicely.

and i have a roland as well.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
This thread's been inactive for a little while, so I thought I'd give some input.

Line 6 Spider II
Had the half stack for years. I loved it at first until my tone taste became more refined and I got more interested in exploring different gear. It's fine for bedroom practice, but it had no depth, especially at high volumes. I only found a limited number of ok metal tones and the built in effects were useless. I only held onto it for so long because I just never explored what else is out there and I went a few years where I hardly ever practiced. These amps also have notorious problems with their knobs. Sometimes they'll go whacky and the amp will suddenly jump to full volume even though the knob is on 1. Since they later came out with Spider III and IV, this amp didn't retain it's value at all when I went to sell it.

Peavey XXL
I wish I tried this amp before purchasing. I was all excited about it after reading reviews and watching a few youtube videos. Then I found a used one super cheap online and so I ordered it. I thought it was garbage. The "transtube" meant nothing, it didn't sound one bit similar to a tube amp. I messed with it for 2 weeks and never found a tone I liked, so I returned it for a refund. Any sort of metal tone you can pull out of it sounds nearly the same, even the Spider sounded way better.

Randall RG100
Found this after selling my Spider. Decent combo amp overall but I only had it for about a week or two before I found the Flextone. I think it had either a tube preamp or tube power amp, but it definitely had tube warmth to the tone. The gain was a little weak, geared more towards 80s metal, but the clean channel sounded great. It responded well to pedals and distortion pedal run through the clean channel really made the pedal shine.

Line 6 Flextone II HD
Great all around solid state amp, perfect for metal. Often forgotten and overlooked. They originally sold for around $1,000, but now can be found for between $250-500. It's basically an early version of the HD147 (which has also dropped in price). There's barely any metal samples on youtube, so I'm thinking of making a video demo soon. Several amp and cab models, a floorboard which allows for 36 channels, and most of the onboard effects actually sound pretty good. Tone definitely has more balls than a Spider. Built in noise gate control makes it completely noiseless. Unfortunately, I've only taken it out of the house once and haven't tested it at high volume yet.

·
In brightest day...
422 Posts
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9630/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

Everytime I have bought a new amp, I usually ended up getting rid of it because something else I had sucked, and I blamed the amp. Sigh.

Samick starter amp:

Surprisingly a decent distortion. It got a nice compressed tone I could practice easily with. I still enjoy it, but it is like a 5" speaker, so it isn't the clearest thing. Starter pack amps never really are.

Tubeworks something:

12" speaker. It got a nice liquid lead, but not really high gain. It sounded like a Marshall to me. I ended up blowing the speaker because I was young and stupid. I would constantly crank the volume all the way up when jamming with a friend to see if it would get loud enough to break glass. Shut up. I was really young.

Marshall AVT: Similar to the Tubeworks, but with better effects. Single preamp tube made a bit of difference in warmth.

Alesis modeler: I don't remember a lot of specifics about this one, or a lot of my old amps for that matter. I didn't pay attention to them much. I didn't care for this one, though. It sounded weak and wouldn't hit high gain like I wanted. Sold it.

Laney AOR combo: I enjoyed this a lot. It wouldn't do high gain as well as I wanted, but it was loud as shit and sounds great. It reminded me a bit of an older Mesa .Caliber I played. So this one clicked for solo stuff. Sold later just for more guitar stuff.

Line 6 Spider 2, 30 watt: I enjoyed this a lot more as it was the first amp I had to actually do high gain. It didn't last long, because I enjoyed purchasing guitars more. Sold it and got...

Marshall MG100hd and matching cab: Mid-gain. Had fun messing with solo tones, but sucked for rhythm. Too flubby and lacked clarity on the lower strings. Sold to fund another guitar.

Marshall MG 212: I couldn't think of something better at the time, so I just grabbed the 2x12 version of the halfstack. This one had issues and died. I got a replacement, but wasn't happy with the sound anymore. Traded for...

Line 6 Spider 3, 75 watt: A decent upgrade from the 2, and gave me more to work with. I found that almost everything sounded the same. And started hating that. I enjoyed the idea of modeling, but felt the spiders did it poorly. Sold it.

Line 6 guitarport: I used this with my computer speakers. Grabbed the metal pack and I was set. Kept this for awhile. Sold it to a friend way later on, but it was my practice rig for quite awhile. I really enjoyed how simple it was, and since I practiced at the computer everything was at my fingers.

Laney GH100L: I picked it up used and fell in love so fast. I really wanted it because it was Paul Gilberts main amp as well as Opeths. So I figured I could get heavy as well as great solo tones. I used this through my friends piece of shit, no name 4x12. This Laney was the loudest amp I have ever played. I never got it above 2 on the volume knob. I ended up selling it because I had no use for something so loud. I wasn't in a band and I could never crank it to get the better tones out of it. I should have gotten a better cab. It would have helped the tone issues I thought it had. I also should have gotten an attenuator for it. Great, great amp. Anyways, before I sold it I had purchased -

Engl e530 preamp: I got this for a higher gain sound and ran it through the fx loop on the Laney. It didn't get "high-gain" enough for me. So I sold it. Looking back, it was a great pre. Changing the cab, power section, tubes etc, would have made it sound better. But I didn't know better at the time. I had thought there were few rigs available that could get the sound I needed. So I kept selling stuff that was actually pretty great.

Line 6 Podx3 bean: I loved this. So much in this unit. I was overwhelmed because I didn't know how to tweak all the extra stuff. I ended up selling it because it was too much. I shouldve just read more on it and got over the learning curve. But that isn't how I rolled back then! :lol: I did download some presets that sounded great, though. I had fun recording with it, too.

Crate something head: Went with my friend's 4x12 cab. It was pretty shitty. Got rid of the head and cab at the same time.

Ibanez TBX150h: This was okay. It was very flat sounding, though. I played this through a better cab. An Earcandy 2x12. Returned the head since it wasn't detailed enough for me in the sound. I still had the x3 at this point.

Laboga Mr. Hector: This was the first step in the right direction for me. It took a bit of work to get it sounding more to my liking. It was setup like a Rectifier. It wasn't insanely high-gain, but it got there. I threw a boost in front of it and it helped tighten it up. I was really set on getting a Powerball at this point, as I loved the one I tried. So I tried to trade the Laboga for one. Guy tried to steal it. :-/ Long story short, I was able to get UPS to divert the shipment. Sounds like good news, right? Nope! UPS dropped it while returning it to me! Luckily I had insurance on it. So, with that money, I got...

Engl e570 SE preamp + Mesa 2:90 poweramp: This rig was nuts. I played it through my Earcandy 2x12 and grabbed a Gmajor to run with it. A very versatile rig. The Mesa I was a little iffy on since it was my first dedicated power amp. I wanted to sell it so I could get an Engl power section for ultimate tightness. I was able to sell it, but unfortunately I had to put the funds towards rent. So I was left with the Engl, which I couldn't play anymore. So in the meantime I got...

Peavey Vypyr 30: It was cool, but too noisy for me. I couldn't get it to where I got a consistent tone I enjoyed. So I got rid of it.

I ended up selling the Engl e570 since I couldn't play it and there was no way I could afford another poweramp at the time.

AxeFx Standard: I put the funds of the Engl into this. I was worried at first that since the pod x3 was so much for me, that the Axefx would be a mind fuck. But this time I was determined to keep something and make it sound good. The presets on this was much better. I read through the manual, and it took me awhile, but I got the hang of it. This is by far my most favorite amp I've owned, and I don't regret the purchase like some others I did. This unit also helped me to learn about all the effects and what they do. I feel very comfortable with the unit. While I am very comfy with it, I'm fighting the small urge I have to sell it for an Ultra. The Axe 2 would be great, but I can't afford it anytime soon. Hell, I can't even afford the extra coin I'd have to spend for the Ultra if I sold this. I just want to be able to mess around with the moveable noise gates that the Ultra offers. Not much else. Other than that, I have no desire to sell my AxeFx for anything else.

My next purchase down the line will be a better speaker setup.

I've probably missed some amps here and there, but oh well. I'm on my phone and I don't remember all of them. I remember counting a few years ago and I was above the 20 amp mark. I'm way past that now.

·
Marshall humper
3,575 Posts
Necrobump.

My first amp was a Roland Cube 20x. It was good at the time, the stack setting was decent enough, but it was very falt and bassy, and once I started playing guitar with other musicians I realized I needed a bigger amp, so I got a. . .

Line Six Spider III
This amp was a marked improvement over the Cube. The plethora of settings was fun to play with, but I always ended up going back to the Master of Puppets setting. After I began wanting to have my own tone, I really started to dilike this amp, since it wasn't versatile and the sound was always very flat. I sold it and the cube to fund a . . .

Marshall TSL 60 watt Combo

Once again another step up it seemed at first, but let me tell you, this amp was shit. Besides the fact that the only way to get treble out of it was to put a metalzone in front of it, the overall sound was never satisfying. The thing weighed 85 pounds of backbreaking up and down stairs every week for band practice, and it pissed me the hell off since I spent seven hundred bucks on a tube amp, and I was relying on a 100 dollar pedal for my entire sound. Eventually, I saved up a bunch of money on my debit card, went on ebay and got ahold of a . . .

Peavey 5150ii
Holy balls this amp is good. I've gone back and forth between loving it and hating it, and I can say for sure it's an awesome amp, the lows are really tight, and everything else screams metal. This amps loves boosting, but try to use a distortion pedal for the character of the sound, like using a metalzone, and this thing will chew it up and spit it back at you. I've gotten great sound out of this amp every way possible, and once you learn how to play with the knobs, it will conform to almost any high-gain sound you can think of. Everyone should own some form of the 5150, but that didn't stop me from buying a . . .

Marshall AVT 50 watt combo.
I got this as a practice amp and something that I could take to college, and it's just a reliable, solid little tone machine. The sound is versatile, and with a good graphic EQ old school death and black metal bleeds out of this thing. The cleans are wonderful, and it takes any sorts of effects very well. The tube in the preamp also warms up the sound nicely.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have been playing for 30 years, a metal head since 1975.

When buying an amp you need to know exactly what you are looking for.

It is far better to wait until you have enough money to buy the amp you want than it is to buy the wrong amp because it is all you can afford.

If money is tight, buy used.

One the low $$$ a Peavey 5150/6505 is tough to beat, good amp for the $$.

If you live in the Marshall world save up and buy a used JVM series amp, they have more gain than you can ever use and can be found for $700 and up used on Ebay.

The next important piece is the speaker, it is 50% of your tone. Once you buy your head play it through as many cabs as possible. Pick the speaker that you like best, don't buy what others tell you you should have.

Good luck! :metal:

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
Apparently I've not given my input on this. I am appall.

In order of what I can remember; (also bear in mind I only REALLY started playing guitar 5 or 6 years ago.

Amps
Marshall MG50DFX 1x12 Combo:

I got this as a christmas present from my grandma when I was first starting out and wanted something loud enough for jamming. It served me well, and now belongs to a friend of mine, who it's also serving well. My memory of it is probably a little jaded as I hadn't really experienced anything at the time that made me shit my underpants. I had an old video somewhere where I played Cyberwaste and lo and behold (not that it was hard), tone better than Christians. So it's a worth enough jamming amp on the cheap, although it'll get slated to all fuck around here.

Fender Frontman 100 and matching 4x12:

This was something that I went halfs with my folks on. I ran a Boss Metalcore through it, and it was possible. Would probably pull of grvm tr00 kvlt metal well if I actually remembered how it sounded. I done a few gigs with it and it wasn't awful, wasn't great either. Sold both, but the head is still at my practice space, being used as a bass head with great results for what it is.

Blackstar HT-5:

For me, this is where it all began. I had all but given up guitar pretty much up until 2010, as I was playing bass in a band, and had to sell my Apex 2 while I was unemployed to pay bills I still had, since I couldn't sell my bass. After my 19th birthday (back in 2010), I had been researching, and think I might have even posted on here, looking for low wattage valve heads. I tried the Tiny Terror and decided it blew goats. Tried one of these and loved it. It pulled off modern metal pretty well with a boost. It was this amp that actually made me get the Xiphos 7, as the place I got it from had just gotten one in so rather than spending just under £300, ended up spending just under £900. The plan was to borrow a guitar in the mean time, but why when I can have my own? :metal:
I'd love to get another one of those at some point if I don't decide on something else, just for home, so I can leave my S1 at the practice space. Highly recommended amp, although I feel like I didn't really begin to scratch the surface with it. Sold this to Nick, regretted it not long after.

Blackstar Series One 100:

My first adventure with my own high powered valve amps. Having played a few valve amps by this point, I decided I needed one, and I needed something to gig with, as I'd joined a band and was still playing bass, but was moving to guitar. Oh my word. This thing can be brutal if it needs to be. Contrary to popular belief (and what I believe was once stated on here), it can, and will quite happily do modern metal without a boost. It's an extremely quiet amp, and incredibly versatile for only having 1 EQ. The ISF features it shares with the other amps is a welcome touch, helping to give you a massive range of tones. It's cleans are absolutely magnificent, can go from very dark, to incredibly glassy. OD's can go from AC/DC to well, my band brilliantly too. My only gripe is that the high end can be a bit shrill, and it's lacking in low end. Many people on here will no doubt vouch for its awesomeness however.

Below I'll only mention the ones I can remember;
Cabs
Laney Closed Back 1x12:

I was given this by my GF's dad. When he was moving out, he cleaned out the garage, and this was one of the things I scored, along side 4 bass bins. It had a H&H speaker in which shit the bed after not so long, so I replaced it with a Legend V128. It was a brilliant little cab when paired with the HT-5. Had enough low-end and midrange for palm mutes to not sound naff. All in all, a decent cab. Now belongs to a friend of mine who's using it with great results with an Orange Dual Terror.

Zilla Fatboy 2x12:
For me, so far, the daddy of cabs (save for the Uberkab, which it's incredibly close to). I literally cannot find anything to complain about with this cab. It's smaller than a 4x12, yet sounds bigger than one. It's lighter than a 4x12 so I don't have to visit a Chiropractor once a week. This thing has SO MUCH low end. I've put this up against Mesa OS 4x12's, Orange 4x12's, Marshall 4x12's and Engl 4x12's, and they've all be shown up by this thing (my 2x12 sounds like your 4x12, ner ner ner ner ner). Currently loaded with Eminence Legend V128 and Swamp Thang, it's arse rumbling, and gut punching. Much akin to being smacked in the face by a bear with concrete laden paws. If I ever had to sell this, I'd get another one as soon as I possibly could. I absolutely love it. In fact, next on the list is a Super Fatboy.

Marshall 1922:

I got this from Stu to leave up at my jam space. Currently loaded with V30/T75 combo, it sounds a lot better than I expected it to. Deceptively so. It's no Zilla, but it's certainly no Crate either. Could stand to do with a little more punch and low end, but it's quite a narrow cab in both depth and width. Not at all a bad cab if you need something cheap. I'd be happy to gig with it.

UPDATE
My opinions have changed a bit about amps since I posted this, so here's an update on stuff I've owned since:

Peavey 6505+:
This was a major step in the right direction for me, it solved the problems I was having with the S1-100 and was a bit lighter too which was a bonus. The addition of a separate EQ for each channel was nice, but I never used the clean channel live, so it was kind of a moot point. It's one of the tried and tested metal amps, and for good reason. Instantly recognisable, and will just punch you in the gut for a laugh. I sold this because, as much as I liked it, I didn't want to sound like That Guy Who Also Has A Peavey, especially since I was the only guitarist in my band at the time. That, and the opportunity to buy an amp from a company I've always wanted an amp from came up. It served me well, and I'd be lying if I said I didn't fancy getting a 6534+ at some point, but I digress.

Diezel Hagen:
Oh manz, dem cleenz.
Seriously though, my playing (and recording, might I add), does this thing no justice at all. I bought this amp based off of the brand name and one online demo alone (thanks Ola!), and I'm glad I did. While not amazing at low volumes (I can't think of many 100w valve amps that are), that's not where most of my playing is done. I'm a gigging musician. This thing is astonishingly loud. So so loud. I don't think I've ever had the master volume past maybe 10 o'clock or 10:30. I daren't even try it near 12 o'clock. I might die. It is beyond versatile. 4 individual channels of awesome.
Channel 1 is pristine clean. Everything from nice and warm, to glassy. I love this channel. I need to record a track that do the cleans on this thing justice, as my last ones were terrible.
Channel 2 I haven't actually dabbled too much with, truth be told. it does the AC/DC vibe VERY well. I can see this channel being excellent for a blues or heavy rock player. Me, Stu and James tried this channel with a few boosts, and with some boosts, this channel can do modern metal surprisingly well too.
Channel 3 is where things start to get interesting. This is where the modern metal in the amp really starts to shine. Insanely tight, aggressive, and a huge midrange snarl. Ridiculous amounts of crunch. I actually can't decide whether I prefer this channel or channel 4 for rhythms. I originally prefered 4, but now I'm undecided. I think this is going to be my main rhythm channel from now on (once I get my boost for christmas), as channel 4 becomes what it should be, a lead channel.
Channel 4 is/was my main channel. For rhythms it's crushing. For leads, it's fluid and dynamic. It's exactly the kind of tone I'm looking for in leads. Smooth and articulate. I've been using this channel with a boost for rhythms up until recently, and I've never been happier with my sounds.

To be honest, I always struggle explaining sounds, so my description might not sell this amp, but trust me, it was worth every penny I spent, and still clocked in cheaper than a new Mesa that I had also toyed with the idea of buying.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I am new here but I wanted to describe my amp (maybe it'll be useful for sb).

So I've got VOX VT40+

The producer says it's ,,tube driven hybrid" (funny). It has 12AX7 but i don't really believe this makes a difference. Hybrid will remain hybrid. Yeah it has got many effects, amps simulations and quite nice reverb.

I obtained it last year and it was quite fun for me with all those effects, etc. Recently I had an opportunity (just went to music store) to play on average valve amp. It was JCM2000 (some new model) and I felt huge difference. Cause the sound in my VOX....

The clean sound isn't really that bad. But many SS amp have got nice clean. Then if you want to crank it up and go metal... it goes bad. Actually during all this time I've found only one sound that satisfies me. The effects are rather weak, but you can get clean like from enter sandman or other Metallica songs.

I would eventually reccomend it only for begginers. Now I'd choose something more badass.

Finally I've got a question for You. I love vintage voiced amps and I've watched a lot of videos on YT about VOX AC30 (C2). I know it's not really metal amp but I'm interested if I could use it for classic heavy metal? You know like Priest, early Maiden, Diamond Head etc.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Its been a cheap ride through the years but in order of ownership my amps have been:

Some 1x12 Hughes and Kettner Solid State combo - $250
Not sure of the model, when I started I was a pop punk kid and the truth was this amp had a might decent distortion for that, even with a single coil squier POS strat it still wasn't half bad

Marshall Valvestate 8010 (I think, the model number is hazy) - $400

This amp was killer, they had the JCM900ish kind of gain (I was into to 90's and early 2000's pop-rock mind you) and it had two footswitchable channels and the most insane stereo chorus built in. Set the rate and depth to minimum and turn it on, it just killed!

Marshall Valvestate VS265 - $50 bucks from a friend and the money I got from selling my other marshjall in repairs

This was my friends amp that made me buy my first marshall, It was the same as my other one but with an extra channel and some extra options. This was supposed the flagship of the valvestate series. Both marshals were 2x12 combos and about 100-150 watts These amps with a set of hot pickups (went from an invader, to EMGs to now the MotherBuckers) will get all the way into AILD territory

Sold the last Marshall on Ebay not long after I got married and assumed I was leaving guitar behind to be an adult (HAHAHA)

when I wanted to get back into guitar again I got a Crate Powerblock, amazing solid state amp for getting you kicked in the balls Plexi Gain in a pinch, not a bad rock rythm amp. I eventually bought a Marshall 1980..something 4x10 cab to go with it and had to sell that because I got dirt poor with like 4 months. THe whole rig was a total of 380 bucks, IMO a steal for having a halfstack for the only time in my life

Peavey Vyper 15 - $99
great bedroom amp, swiss army knife for practice, I love the heavy tones I can get and the delay and reverb are really helpful

Peavey Valveking Royal 8 - $89

Finally my first real tube amp.....was the worst sounding Amp I have ever purchased. Does an okay warm clean on the right settings. It sat in the house for a very long time until I started letting my dad, an old Delta Bluesman just learning in his retirement years borrow it. It lives there for now...until I need to sell it...correction, until I get off my butt to sell it or hack it apart.

Blackheart BH-5 - $200USD on ebay

Got this gem for steal, it came with a hellatone 30 and JJ tubes already installed. I have added the Bitmo Triple bypass mod to it too. It does a lot of what I need, on its own it can go from nice warm tube clean all the way up to AC/DC or more modern version of ZZ Top with the twist of a volume knob. I use the tubescreamer, Jackhammer, or boost depending on where the amp volume needs to be set at the time to get into more metally territory

I realllly want a JCA2112RC, thats my current dream amp (realistic dream)

21 - 40 of 60 Posts