Metal Guitarist Forums banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ok so here's my stuff that I own/used to own

Laney LX20R: now that's something you wish to avoid, there are only two settings on this, ultra treble or ultra bass, the reverb, even if maxed to 10, just fades away when you crank it up a little w/ the use of "gain". :noplease:

Marshall MG30DFX: this one was somehow good for me, I liked it 'cause of the effeccts, delay in particular, a good practice amp for your bedroom. I owned it for a couple of months and sold it just to buy...

Randall RX120D: And was i suprised by this one! It is very verasatile in the volume range, i could play it in my bedroom, without the sound blending together and just making a "noise" and I played rehersals on it. Still could hear it when my friend used a 5150. Peavey was much heavier in sound (and literally :p) than my RX120D. The funny fact is that when i bought Randall cab with Celestion 70 80w and thought that it will kick ass.... it didn't. Randall sounded much much better with my 1960a

Blackstar HT-100: I was soooooo happy when i bought it i jizzed my pants, it sounded amazing! Beautiful clean, nice semi-hi gain deistortion and an ocean of distortion in OD2 it was the perfect amp for me! But... the company screwed up a whole line of HT-100 it had this problem of loosing power when switching from clean, w/ boutique mode on, directly to OD 2. Then another problem occured... I had it for like 3 months back then, played one gig with it, couple of rehersals one day i decided to crank it up a little bit when I was at home, so i took it down to my basement and... yeah... tubes were dead, just after i noticed the issue with the channels, the tubes have died. At that point i didn't even want to change them I just packed it and took it to the store i bought it in. Btw fuck the music store where i bought it, it took me 6 months to get my money back...

Marshall JCM900 4100 Hi-gain dual reverb: I owe it up to this day, bought it from a guy that run the rehersal room and studio. It's old all right from the serial number i got to know the production date, oct '94. It's the edition with 5881 tubes, and my god I AM satisfied with it! I know that this particular series of JCM is getting all the black PR, and by Marshall purists it's considered "not a marshall", frankly i do not give a shit. For me it's a very good amp, solid in construction, rough in sound, user friendly and never had any problems with it, just had to re-tube it, and that's all. Oh yeah for me it sounds great with EMG's, tried it with Rockfield Mafia pups got a little dry sound but still works for me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is my first post on this site, so hello everyone! I found the thread interesting and informative and thought I would put in my experience.

Crate GX20 Combo
I purchased this amp with my first guitar just 12 short years ago with dreams of becoming Metallica famous. Unfortunately I soon found out that going to music route is a difficult road and went college to become an electrical engineer. Of course, it wasn't long after I bought this combo that I realized I would in no way be able to get anything close to Metallica sounds from it. All in all, this thing was ok to fake some classic rock and even 80 metal if you cranked up the reverb. I actually kept the amp for 6 years before finally gave to a buddy just starting out.

Vox AD60VT
I picked one of these up from Guitar Center brand new on sale for $350 just before they stopped selling them (some time in 2004ish?). I still have and play this amp to this day. It is a modeling amp with a 12AX7 in the power section. Of course it does just about any sound from clean fender twang to Mesa distortion and bottom end but unfortunately it doesn't do any of them very well. As for a practice amp, it's fantastic. All of the built in effects and 12 amp models will keep you busy for a while but I really could never get a good modern metal tone out of it. Seemed to always sound too distant and dark. Worked great for classic sounds though.

Peavey 5150
Now this is a metal masterpiece. I purchased one of these off of Ebay (sometime in 2007) after much internet research on a solid, reasonably priced metal amp. I could not have made a better purchase. I still play and record with this amp everyday. You can get a wide array of metal tones and that resonance knob really adds on the punch. The Clean channel is a bit sterile but actually that is exactly what I was looking for at the time. My only gripe is that it is extremely loud, especially for a recording environment (which is pretty much all I do anymore). If only they made a 15W version so you can get that beautiful 6L6 power amp fatness without needing hearing protection. All in all, highly recommended amp. Just listen to bands like Unearth, All That Remains, In Flames, The Haunted, Chimaira and Trivium and you will understand how great this thing is.

Line 6 Spider III 75W 1x12 Combo
I got this from a friend on a trade for some electronics back in 2008. This amp is actually an excellent practice amp for metal. The presets are garbage but the tone is very good for a solid state amp. Of course you cant crank it up too loud before that solid state lack of headroom kicks in but it's perfect for low volume practice. I tried recording a bit with this guy and mostly the results are good but it does lack a warmth that only a true tube amp can deliver.

Krank Rev
After a few years with the 5150, I decided I wanted something different to add to the collection to get some of the sounds that the 5150 doesn't quite cover (think As I Lay Dying, Shadows Fall, Nevermore...). I picked up the Krank Rev used at Guitar Center for just $750. This amp definitely covers that balsy lower gain tone I was looking for. It sits in my mixes beautifully with the 5150 and both amps really compliment each other. The best part about the Krank is the "Kleen" channel which is actually very nice. It has tons of headroom and a great chime. Another good thing about this amp is that it is not nearly as loud as the 5150 (not sure why considering its 100W to the 5150's 120W). This makes it great for jamming and not damaging your hearing. Don't get me wrong, it will still scream and it keeps up with the drums just fine, it just doesn't make your head hurt like the 5150 does on, say, 3.

I hope this adds some useful information despite my ramblings. I am perfectly happy with my current setup and I suppose if I had to trade, I would probably shoot for a Mesa Mark IV or something similar. A small part of me does want something that can deliver that awesome Lamb of God, in your face, punch you in the chest tone. Maybe one day.

·
MC Hammer-on
144 Posts
Peavy BackStage 1x10
Fisrt amp, I learned all my Metallica Puppets riffs on it.

Crate G60 2x12
Sound was Meh even at age 15 I was underwhelmed. ended up using a Boss Dist in the clean on it. But it was louder than the Peavey.

Ampeg ss140c head
First Head, I used the amps Dist Ch, great amp very 80's metal and beyond. I was into Randy Rhoads a lot so this amp got my solo chops in line. Clean Ch with the built in chorus was fucking lush.

1995 Dual Recto (Purchased New lol)
My first pro amp, I had 2 recto 4x12's too. Best sounding head I ever owned. No boost, just straight in with a Digitech delay unit on the orange ch for leads. Think Fight War of words...

Triaxis/2:90
This was by far the most complex rig. I had a patch mate loop switcher and various FX units and gates. Great boogie tones but a fucking pain in the ass to maintain. Wass doing the Hatebreed/Machine head thing at that time.

Line6 FlexTone II
Used for industrial Rock band I was in, I needed numerous Clean and Dirty tones. Worked great, sounded pretty good for the type of music I was playing.

Splawn QuickRod
Fucking awesome amp, Ended up boosting gear 2 ch. Tight as hell. Wish it was still around. I'll get another one of these days.

Framus Cobra
Got this amp as a swap. I loved it for 1 week then was not happy with how it got buired by my friends Vetta II. I used Ch2 with no boost. Boosting made it sound less tight (dont know how that is possible) Ch3 was too over the top, used for leads mostly. notch switches are a joke on that amp. Instant shit tone. It did DJENT.

1996 Triple Recto BlackFace (Current)
Amp is sick and loud as ballz, Close to my original 1995 recto. I use a 808 style boost cause I play 7 strings a lot. Keeps the low end manageable. I am running EL34's, Shit is crunchy as hell. I'm back where I belong Recto tone is hard to beat.

Line6 Vetta (Current)
Bought this for my home studio. Fun as hell to play with. I have 2 Patches I've made that are good. Boosted Recto and Boosted Jcm800.. Great for tweaking out. Fun shit.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Crate G130C (1997? 1998?)-I had this in high school with a shitty Carvin 412. The gain channel is really aggressive (supposedly it's a copy of the Ampeg v140C). With a good EQ pedal and the right speakers, you can do some brutal stuff with it, and the built in chorus will sweeten the cleans nicely.

Peavey XXX 212 combo (2005 or 2006)-So misunderstood. XXX's can have fizzy highs, and popular speakers like Vintage 30's will only make that problem worse (in my experience). Eminence Legends have my amp sounding better than ever. These days, I use the combo as a head because the back of the combo isn't completely closed like my Lopo 212. The adjustable bias really allows you to make this amp your own, because you can use 6l6's, El34's, JJ KT77's and JJ E34L's (older XXX's require a mod to use the E34L's, but I love mine). Sounds good at low volume, once you learn how to work the active EQ.

Engl Screamer 50 head-In spite of having 4 channels and being boosted with an OD pedal and Duncan Blackouts, I didn't find this to be able to achieve Death/Black/Grind gain like the rest of the Engl line. The 3rd channel was the best of the 4, very smooth but aggressive when pushed with a OD pedal. The 4th channel has the most gain, but it's too fizzy for me. With the right speakers, it could be a different animal (some Celestion greenbacks might make it more useful for a hard rock/old metal player). It sounds good at low volume. I'm selling this after I get it repaired.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Great post Leon. Ive always enjoyed hearing stories from people about how they came to their sound and amp feel. Even if they feel satisfied or not.

I grew up in the 80s so my first gig rig was a, u guessed it, Marshall. I went with an older version of the valvestate back then because of price. I just simpley started looking up how my fav players got thier sound and started there. There wasnt any internet then. Although, the amp played hundreds of shows and made me more money than I paid for it, I always thought it sounded like a chainsaw. I eventually bought an ada preamp and put on it. Much better imo. Then I put the pre with my 900 I had bought. Ok too. I owned a ton of pedals by this point and was never happy with anything really. The 900 to me sounded fuller, but it had a certain ," ******" character to it. I thought that amp sounded great if you were working out some country chops on a tele. I also bought a marshall mode 4 at one point. That amp was kinda cool because It was a "4 on the floor" setup for me. I used to run a boss ns2 and then the amp... mic in my face. The mode 4 turned on me and blew up in the studio. The sound engineer said its your dime, but try this ol mesa Ive got out. So I laid tracks. I originally didnt like the feel. His amp felt squashy to me. When I got my amp out of repair I doubled my tracks and found something decent. A few months later the Mode 4 blew up live and really made me look bad. My repair guy couldnt get marshall to cooperate on the warranty work so I had him rig it up good enought to unload it and all my other marshalls. I now stand playing a mesa stiletto with a dual rectifier in combo. I use a Voodoo labs switching station and a rjm line mixer for fx. The stiletto gives that marshall vibe which is great for pauses and entros. Then i kick in the recto over it for the full band assult thing.Im pretty happy and dont see myself going elsewhere soon. Thanx again for the great oppertunity for everyone to share.

I have never found a time when I was happy with any one thing. Ive always thought I needed the right tool for the job. Get as familliar with as much stuff as possible. Thats just my advise.

·
TL;DR
13 Posts
My fisrt amp was Kustom Dart 10 - i would reccomend it for first amp haha...

My First BIG amp was Laney LV300 Twin Combo - hybrid with 1 valve amp on pre'
Preetty neat clean, and that drive 1 channel was sweet tho!
That Drive 2 was great for me for about 2 years then i stated that i have lack of bass and that grit.
Tones dialed - Slayer, Pantera (becouse of that "Vts" scooop button haha), Metallica, Black Sabbath.

My current amp is Bash Sidewinder Dorico - which is a polish made amp.
It's like 5150 copy, sounds a little bit diffrent, moooore brighter it is super bright amp.
Now when i'am playind my stuff in rehearsal room i don't dial such tones haha!
Maybe Trivium, Animals as leaders, Decapitated hmmm :D

·
Registered
927 Posts
New member here so its my turn.

Crappy DOD Combo

First amp was with my first guitar. Dont remember what exact model but it was some little practice amp made by DOD. It was a 2 channel amp with overdrive that was....lacking to say the least. Like many of you, I also stuck an MT-2 in front of it for years. I also had the cleaver idea of using the headphone jack to plug it into my big stereo which made it sound a lot better.

Randall RH200
Around the age of 20, I got a Randall RH200 solid state head and paired it with a peavey cab. It was....ok. Not exactly what I was looking for and i still used a pedal with it. A zoom tri metal to be exact. I also have to mention the clean channel was garbage. This was around the time when I started developing wrist problems in my fret hand started playing less and I no longer had the need for something so big. This leads to my next amp.

Marshall Valvestate 2000 avt 50
My younger brother started playing guitar and I hear this beautiful sounding clean channel amp from down the hall (well...beautiful compared to mine at least) and I go to investigate. He got himself a Marshall valvestate 2000 AVT 50 combo amp. Not too shabby and then i started thinking. I dont play much anymore due to my wrist issues. Hes a dumb 16 yr old kid. So i propose a straight up trade. I mean honestly, the Marshall combo sounded hella better than the Randall half stack. So I played that off and on for a years. Still pushing it with the ol' trusty zoom tri metal pedal but lately, ive gotten the itch, the wrist gotten better and I now have some money in my pocket...it was time for a tube amp.

Bugera 333XL 212 Combo
Ive been looking at Bugera's stuff as of late for their affordability and the sound quality that comes with it. I was lucky to find a used 333XL infinium near me used in which I put the Marshall in trade for. For my first tube amp and getting back into guitar playing, I could not be more pleased thus far.

·
Registered
118 Posts
My first amp was a 20w gorilla amp and an Ibanez distortion pedal back in 1983 . My parents bought this for me for Christmas along with my first guitar a Hollywood dean bel-air. I still have the foot pedal and guitar I don't remember what happened to the amp.

In 1986 I got a new amp a Randall 212 w/reverb amp and a Ibanez super charger distortion pedal and used this combo for a few years.

After that I bought a peavey stereo chorus with digital delay built in and traded the Randall in for it.

in 89 I stopped mostly playing and joined the air force, but while in I bought the first gen 5150 head and a 4x12 cab with 2 peavey profex effect processors and started using a two channel set-up, one profex to the 5150 for distortion and on to the peavey 212 for clean. Also somewhere in there I bought a peavey rockmaster which was suppose to be a pre-amp xxx before the head came to market.

In 96 I got a peavey 50/50 classic power amp and another 4x12 cab and sold the peavey 212 .

between 2000 and now I got rid of the 5150 since it just didn't sound the same after 3 repairs for it blowing and got the JSX head , I also bought a fender mustang 3 and a mustang 5 . I wish I could say when I have bought all the rack gear and foot pedals but I just can't remember all the dates. Right now I use the JSX for my distortion channel with an old Ibanez tube screamer and other pedals in the chain and I use the 50/50 classic for my clean sound. I do plan on changing my clean sound and getting a fender black face this year, peavey just doesn't give me the crisp clean sound I am looking for .

I love reading this stuff , it is interesting what people use and buy chasing the sound that they want out of their guitar sound!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Noise Suppressor in the FX chain??????

Hello,

So this is my current set up

Guitar
(Front of the Amp)
Digitech DT whammy 2
Noise suppressor NS 2
Send - Return to tube screamer
MXR EQ 10

(Back of the Amp)
Digidelay.

My amp is a 6505+ Whenever I hook the Digidelay to the back of the amp, it picks up major noise and hiss.

Do I need Another NS 2 in back of the amp?
And yes I tried the X connection and it was fucking useless.

advise plz

·
Registered
236 Posts
I've had more bad gear than I care to admit to... but here's how I finally jumped to my rig after ten years of pissing around.

I started playing guitar before digital amp modeling was big. I was never happy with my tone using the gear I could afford (SS amps and dirt boxes/eq's gates etc).

Late 90's I got into modelers. Every modeler I used had only one amp model I liked. After several modeler platforms and very little research I realized that in each modeler it was a model of a Peavey 5150 that I was digging.

Some more quick research told me alot of my favorite guitar tones turn out to be recorded on a Peavey 5150 as well. Which was news to me, and a bit of a shock because the word on the street is that only chumps play Peavey. Apparently only chumps listen to the word on the street, and I felt like a big one.

I bought a Peavey 5150. Fuckin love it.

This might be horrible advice, I'm basically suggesting you let your modeler pick your 'real' amp to run out and buy. I played the 5150 before I purchased it. I needed to play about 2 notes in the store to realize that was the amp I was looking for.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Not sure if this is the right place to post this but I think starting another which head thread is probably not necessary.

I know that ultimately you need to try out the amps in person but I wanted to see if my thinking is correct thus far

I think the following three amps are probably the most commonly used/recommended amps around here.

5150/6505
-great used price (around 500)
-great high gain tone for modern metal
-these two reasons are probably why it is so highly recommended

Q: is it fair to say that it's maybe not as versatile as other amps (e.g. clean channel)?

JCM 800
-more expensive (around 1000 used)
-great high gain better suited for classic rock or older metal

Q: can you use it for blues?

Mesa Dual Rec
-probably around same used price as JCM 800 (1000)
-better suited for modern metal

Q: how would you rate it's versatility

This is the preliminary thoughts based on youtube and googling so I'm definitely open to those with actual experience with these amps

Oh as for what I have......

Fender Princeton 112 combo

Tubemeister 18 + 212 EVH

Pedals: Maxon OD 808, Ibanez TS9, Boss DS-1, DS-2, MT-2

I have other pedals but those are the drive/distortion pedals that I have.

Fine for goofing around but not stuff I would recommend for people around here. :)

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)yesway:)

JCM800s are actually very low gain until you get them LOUD. Great amps, though, and take OD/distortion pedals very well.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)yesway:)

JCM800s are actually very low gain until you get them LOUD. Great amps, though, and take OD/distortion pedals very well.
Ah yes great point, probably makes it less bedroom friendly than the others? Do any of the amps serve up high gain at bedroom volume?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ok here are mine I still have some of these rigs and I have only included the most significant ones I have gone through that I have used for a good period of time.

I started off with an original 1970's hi watt custom 100 and Marshall 4x12 with early 80s greenbacks

Great warm cleans and slight breakup cleans throw a few pedals in front boom your away. I loved the tone and the amps compatibility with pedals.

Next was a Marshall jcm800 single channel 100watt with same Marshall 4x12

Great rock tone with pedals in front of amp (boosts or distortion pedals). Eventually started running a ADA MP1 into the amps loop creating much more versatility. The 800 is great but it has a particular tone which you can only augment so much. The mp1 effectively gave me more channels clean, crunch and lead.

Next a ADA MP1 preamp and ADA bipolar stereo amp and 2 x Marshall 4x12 with greenbacks and g12t75

Preamp sounded good but power amp bad; to sterile. I tried a crate stereo power amp an improvement but neither was valve and lacked the body.

Next was a Marshall jcm 2000 triple super lead 100watt head and two Marshall 4x12s with greenbacks and g12t75

Overall not bad dependant on guitar though I found. Amp for me always lacked some balls. Not a fan of the fx loops and the three channels I felt did not compliment each other as well as they should. The DSL was a nicer sounding amplifier from this series.

Mesa studio pre triaxis and fifty fifty power amp with Marshall 4x12 with greenbacks and Mesa 4x12 with V30s

Some good sounds nice warm cleans crunch channel took some tweaking and a boost pedal to help sculpt what I was going for. Triaxis was way better for me anyway. Loved the array of tones, preset saving and overall user friendly layout and connections were great. The power amp was nice and loud just quite heavy.

Next the Peavey 5150 II with custom 4x12 with V30s.

For metal and heavy rock you can't go wrong for anything else hmmm I struggled. I could get the clean channel close to clean but it was always slightly breaking up. The. Clean crunch button was a waste of time. Just used the clean channel for clean stuff and the lead channel for everything else. Pedals and rack gear help sculpt the channels into what I needed. Not an amp all rounder shall we say. I still loved it though for what it did anyway.

Then the Egnater Renegade head with custom 4x12 with V30s

Great sounding amp versatile with good compatibility with pedals and rack gear etc.
Able to get everything out of this particular setup. Funky cleans, warm clean breakup, crunchy saturation, soaring screaming rock to grind with an fx unit in 4 cm.

AxeFx XL II and Matrix power amp gt800fx into custom 4 x12s and 2x12s with V30s

Still working on this rig not sure whether to go FRFR but probably going to give it a go.
I love how the axe sounds into studio monitors, every tone and effect is possible, for what I need anyway; and I need quite a few.
I am hoping it will work out so I can save my back in my old age lol.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had a tweed Peavey Delta Blues amp with a 15 inch speaker and used it for approx 10 years - never did anything to it and sold it with the original tubes still inside - one of the best amps I ever had.

Also have a 1968 siverface Fender twin reverb in my living room - last time I did anything to it was a tube change probably around 1971 but it farts at any volume over 4 and if I could carry it I would have a tech do work but it never leaves my house anyways. Guess it needs capacitors and tubes maybe new speakers but it's fine at low volume.

My attitude is that I never do work unless I have to but I guess you should change your tubes when you see blue gas inside or depending on how much use you give it - other people here have more knowledge about these things than I do.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
My last post to this thread was 4 years ago and I've had a few amp changes, so figured it was time to add again. My old amps were embarrassing :lol:

Peavey 5150 II:

I had the 6505+ 112 for about a year first and loved it, 6505/5150 are still my favorite metal tone and 90% of what I play is metal. The clean is pretty stale and sounds like solid state. I did red channel with the gain cranked for a while, but now find the green channel better with the gain around 6. Either way, you get two kick ass metal channels. The effects loop stinks though. It adds extra noise and I have to turn up the output on some pedals more than I do with other amps. The amp is pretty noisy as it is and a noise gate is essential. I fought with this for a while until I realized it's just a noisy amp and I got used to it. The volume is super sensitive. It goes from muffled to blasting with a nudge of the knob. It still sounds good for weekend bedroom volumes, but maybe not late night in an apartment. Overall, it sounds amazing though.

Mesa Boogie Mini Rectifier:

I don't think I would have ever bought this amp at full price, but scored it on a good deal I couldn't pass up. I much prefer the 5150 metal tone over almost any Mesa, but that's just personal preference and nothing against Mesa. This amp is a beast for the size, has a lot of options, sounds great with pedals, and covers a big variety of tones. This one I go to for everything non-metal, although the 80s metal and modern metal tones are still good too. It's well built and I haven't had any problems with the amp at all. I swear this amp sounds different every day though. Some days I'm loving it, sounds great, etc. Then suddenly another night I won't be into it. It's definitely a good amp and very versatile though.

Orange Micro Dark:

I only had this for a week and was conflicted about it, so I returned it while I had the chance. I thought it sounded great with my passive Fender for doing clean and bluesy stuff. However, all my other guitars are active and I thought they sounded bad through this amp. There's little headroom as it is, and virtually none with active pickups. There's a single EQ knob that changes your tone from ok, to bad, to worse. I really couldn't get into any good higher gain metal tones from the amp, even with an OD. Overall, it was fun for a few tones with one guitar, but not for me on everything else. The power amp kept going out too unless something was plugged into the effects loop.

Yamaha THR10X:

This amp is a lot of fun. It has built in effects and an option to run off batteries if you ever need to. I've been running an OD into it which works pretty well. There's not as many tone options as say a POD HD or something, but there's plenty to play around with. I don't really like how it sounds directly recorded, but it's been perfect for using as monitor while recording DI tracks. This is a good grab and go, plug in a jam, bedroom amp.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I started with Amplitube using that with a sampled guitar for my keyboard so I learned how to do good tone before I could play a guitar. Now I have a real guitar and after weeks of research settled for the Laney IRT Studio it's got that distortion as much as you want with 3 preamp valves/tubes +two output and it's designed for a home studio or pro studio it's a rack unit with 1W or 15W too low for a gig in a hall but just right for a studio with USB for your computer or XLR out to an interface, 3 channels and a foot switch for each channel + it's built in boost and reverb. Really great tone distorted or clean, Toni Iommi of Black Sabbath uses Laney's.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone, I have a small question, I recently bought a 7-string guitar "Cort kx500ms sdg" and slowly started to buy equipment for it. one store was recommended to me AMP "Peavey 6505+". However, it did not meet my expectations, and I am forced to return it.
I sent them exactly a video of what sound they i looking for. I know there are many aspects, I also didn't want the sound to be exactly like that. So could anyone advise me which guitar head to buy for a 7-string guitar. I'm looking for a sound similar to the one they play (Brink me the horizon, KoRn aor Love and death) and yes I know, it's not just about the guitar head.
Price max up to 1157 euros, best up to 970 euros.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts