Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Interesting. Was it the Fender Deluxe that was a 6V6 amp? One of the lower wattage Fenders was, as I recall...

·
Tarantula Lobbyist
5,281 Posts
I was going to put 6V6s in my Mark but the possibility of blowing them and maybe harming the amp was too great.

How much is the head going to be Jeff?

·
Safe Spaces Advocate
3,125 Posts
I'm looking foward to hearing what you think of this amp, when you get it.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
I look forward to you returning it! :D

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
I'm pretty settled on the 20-25w heads. I've had my Rectoverb 25 for a record-breaking, staggering 4 years! :D
I was a super early adopter of the Recto 25 and I've been really happy with it. Still, if the RV25 combo was out when I was making my purchase, that's what I'd have right now.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
I was a super early adopter of the Recto 25 and I've been really happy with it. Still, if the RV25 combo was out when I was making my purchase, that's what I'd have right now.
Yeah, I'd take the ROV25 over the Recto 25 in a heartbeat, between the cosmetics and the reverb. For me, the Mark-V 90 watt over the V:25 was a no brainer for the extra channels and because I've found I DO generally prefer it in 90 watt mode, and when in doubt I'd rather have a 90 watt head I can cut down, but I do consider grabbing a ROV25 combo as a portable rig, or a V:35 combo...

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Too boxy.

Yeah, I'd take the ROV25 over the Recto 25 in a heartbeat, between the cosmetics and the reverb. For me, the Mark-V 90 watt over the V:25 was a no brainer for the extra channels and because I've found I DO generally prefer it in 90 watt mode, and when in doubt I'd rather have a 90 watt head I can cut down, but I do consider grabbing a ROV25 combo as a portable rig, or a V:35 combo...
Too boxy. :D

Is the Fillmore a Blackface type clone?
Sorta. Kinda like a Supersonic that's not mediocre in the gain department, and is built better.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Jeff, what cab did you play the Recto 25 through? The 1x12 they pair with it is definitely boxy.

·
Super Moderator
7,708 Posts
I agree with Drew that the ROV25 looks amazing, but for the price and size difference I differ to the Mini Rec myself, but then again I've always liked the recto face plates, and I never use on-board reverb really ever. Drew, aren't you from the Devin Townsend school of tone? He has a video with the JP2C where he talks about always disconnecting the reverb tanks on Mark amps :lol:

As far as the Mini rec sounding boxy, yeah it does on Modern mode. It has some mid honk (maybe from the el84s?) that Mesa later was able to remove on the Mark V25. The Mark V25 is MUCH closer to the full size mark sound than the Mini Rec / ROV25 is to a dual/triple. However from my experience, if you run an EQ in the loop and scoop out some of those mid frequencies, you can get as good as if not better gain sound from the Mini Rec than it's big brothers. It has a little more gain on tap and I've found I can get a decent sound with it (although gritty as hell) by running the gain and treble super hot and it's the first recto I don't really need an overdrive in front to saturate with a good sound.

I think Ola has a video saying the same thing, but I'm not going to go looking for it. I still prefer it with an overdrive, but it's a perfectly usable high gain sound without one.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts