Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Well, now that's interesting! The footswitchable EQ and Solo modes might overcome some of the SUCK that was in the previous Express models, and get it back closer to the DC and F-series tone and versatility. I'd love to try one of these out.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, now that's interesting! The footswitchable EQ and Solo modes might overcome some of the SUCK that was in the previous Express models, and get it back closer to the DC and F-series tone and versatility. I'd love to try one of these out.
Yeah, definitely! I thought the TA-15 was cool, but think there are *slightly* more features in this piece. Can't wait to see someone A/B them.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Watched the videos. I'd have to play one obviously, but I'm not at all impressed. Still the same thin sounds. Mini Rec is still a better choice.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
I know, right? I was really thinking the other day, "Hey I want to buy a practice amp, but I want it to cost $1400." Then Mesa comes through with this, right on.
If it's a similar power section to the F-30 or Mini Rec, it's not a practice amp.

But, right now I see no reason to buy one of these over an F-series or DC combo or head (aside from the smaller size and weight of the Express, which the Mini Rec trumps.)

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
If the clips are any indication... This is an improvement, but not enough. The 2:25 I played left me thinking that while it wasn't a bad sounding amp (it's a Mesa, after all), there wasn't a single sound it did that some other amp in their lineup didn't do better. I'm pretty sure you could get all these tones out of the Mini Rectifier, and I got along with the gain stage of that much better.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Still the same thin sounds.
That's what bass players are for :lol:

I realize that thin is not in in the MG community, but for old rock'n roll, one of these would be awesome.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
That's what bass players are for :lol:

I realize that thin is not in in the MG community, but for old rock'n roll, one of these would be awesome.
It would be a great amp for clean and low-ish gain blues playing... If the Lone Star and Lone Star Special weren't already better amps for that sound. :shrug:

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
I find Mesa's idea of what a "metal" sound is to be quite laughable. It's so flubby and loose. I don't know if it's the player, the playing or the way the amp is dialed in, but the "Burn Metal" demo was absolutely lame. Whomever plays these demos has no clue how to play heavy rhythm.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It would be a great amp for clean and low-ish gain blues playing... If the Lone Star and Lone Star Special weren't already better amps for that sound. :shrug:
Right. But, the Lonestar ($1800+) is more expensive than the Express ($1100+).

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I find Mesa's idea of what a "metal" sound is to be quite laughable. It's so flubby and loose. I don't know if it's the player, the playing or the way the amp is dialed in, but the "Burn Metal" demo was absolutely lame. Whomever plays these demos has no clue how to play heavy rhythm.
...Which is extra hilarious, because of the proliferance of the MkIIC+ clones out there :lol:

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Right. But, the Lonestar ($1800+) is more expensive than the Express ($1100+).
The problem with the Express series (and it looks like it continues) is that it vastly pales in comparison to all of its predecessors, and doesn't really do any one thing particularly well. The Mini Rec, which will remain cheaper than any of these, does everything better, and only lacks a reverb.

It's curious why they've even bothered keeping this line around.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
The problem with the Express series (and it looks like it continues) is that it vastly pales in comparison to all of its predecessors, and doesn't really do any one thing particularly well. The Mini Rec, which will remain cheaper than any of these, does everything better, and only lacks a reverb.

It's curious why they've even bothered keeping this line around.
The Mini Rec lacks a solo boost and a graphic EQ. It's also a fundamentally different-sounding amp.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts