Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Where?!
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

This is actually a hell of a lot better than I expected it to be (given how often reunions suck). Paul's single-coil tone is really good.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Solid song and great playing! And i agree... fantastic tone from Gilbert. I usually find his tone is a little too gainy and buzzy, but the singles give it a bit more of a roundness that makes it sit nicely in the mix.

·

745 Posts
I was positively surprised by that song actually - I thought it would suck (like most of post-Gilbert Mr.Big) and I found myself liking it:)

·
18,790 Posts
I really dug that :yesway: Super-catchy riffs, and really killer tone.

If there's one thing I love about Paul Gilbert, it's that everything he does just seems "fun", and he always seems like he's having a great time (probably because he is :lol: ).

·
Banned
13,827 Posts
Woah, i'm quite surprised. I had to listen to it 3 times in a row. :lol:

Catchy, Tone with a capital T, very cool "simple" melodic solo.

·
18,790 Posts
I thought it was good, but it sounded a little too... old guy sounding?
Well, they're not young guys :lol: I'd rather they sound honest and play what they play, than try to sound current ;)

It's a really cool mix/production too, tasteful as hell and not over-the-top. The verses being driven by just a single rhythm guitar with the super-subtle clean-ish guitar adding texture behind it, and then they double up the rhythm on the choruses. Really gives the whole thing a natural dynamic shift and energy, and helps the live feel without sounding overly sparse (as if Gilbert and Sheehan jamming together could ever sound truly sparse :lol: ).

·
Read Only
1,374 Posts
If there's one thing I love about Paul Gilbert, it's that everything he does just seems "fun", and he always seems like he's having a great time (probably because he is :lol: ).
It's funny you mention that. I asked a friend of mine why she liked Paul Gilbert records and basically nothing else I liked. Her response was "Because I imagine him having a huge smile on his face and having a great time while hearing it." Fwiw, she'd never seen him before.

I'll be buying this record though, sounds like it's going to be cool. If nothing else, I know the tone will be great :yesway:

·
18,790 Posts
It's funny you mention that. I asked a friend of mine why she liked Paul Gilbert records and basically nothing else I liked. Her response was "Because I imagine him having a huge smile on his face and having a great time while hearing it." Fwiw, she'd never seen him before.

I'll be buying this record though, sounds like it's going to be cool. If nothing else, I know the tone will be great :yesway:
Yeah, he's got a definite love for what he does, and it comes through in his playing :yesway: I'm going to have to give this album a listen too, as I've listened to this song a good 5 times today and random intervals :lol:

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
Well, they're not young guys :lol: I'd rather they sound honest and play what they play, than try to sound current ;)
Current isn't so much what I meant as much as... I dunno, it sounds like a mid-90's revival moreso than what it is. Plus, Billy and Paul have released a significant amount of material in the last few years that felt more "Mr. Big-y" than this. I know, I'm whining. It's good, but I was expecting something else.

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
Well that was an unexpectedly catchy tune. Not a chopsfest like you'd find in the early Mr.Big material. But it's a nice surprise nonetheless. :yesway:

On a side note, probably only interesting to maybe 3 other people on the forum besides myself. The bass world just collectively fell on it's ear; as it's the first time ever that Billy Sheehan didn't have some sort of Ampeg rig behind him. There's been a mass exodus of Ampeg endorsers recently. Although I'd never thought I'd see the day when Sheehan had a Hartke rig.

·
Dook dook dook
2,434 Posts
Not bad, pretty catchy.

...Call me crazy, but the main riff in this song sounds a lot like the riff at :20 in this song:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts