Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Safe Spaces Advocate
3,125 Posts
This quality performance has been brought to you by Camel unfiltered cigarettes and a loop pedal... any loop pedal.

·
Super Moderator
7,708 Posts
Nickelback: Very good songwriters, cliche song topics and lyrics, super-polished production, and a 30 BPM range for all of their music. They're the perfect representation of corporate, profitable rock for the masses. Which is the absolute anti-thesis of what rock 'n roll actually stands for.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Nickelback: Very good songwriters, cliche song topics and lyrics, super-polished production, and a 30 BPM range for all of their music. They're the perfect representation of corporate, profitable rock for the masses. Which is the absolute anti-thesis of what rock 'n roll actually stands for.
All true, but they also make music for strippers, which is very much rock n' roll. :yesway:

·
Banned
13,827 Posts
Ah, the band everyone loves to hate. Agreed it's not entirely terrible. I wish some of the bands I like would sometimes have that level of "massive" in their production.

It's radio-heavy-rock, don't write a thesis over it. :lol:

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
I can't shake the feeling they look like the "veterans" in a MLB movie from the late 90s/early 00s.

This is good, actually. The intro was the best part, partly between the Metallica-isms, and the unexpectedly "human" dynamics of the performance. The following song... Maybe we wouldn't be talking about it if it wasn't Nickelback, but I suspect no one here would be shitting on it if it wasn't Nickelback. Definitely a bit heavier than anything I've heard from them in some time, and a bit of a departure - more staccato, more jarring, still melodic.

I'm intrigued, at least.

·
Obsessed by day glo Green
2,827 Posts
Yeah, Chad's looking less cool than usual :lol: His former rockstar swagger seems to be missing, and he looks awkward and worried :lol:
I think plastic surgery may be constraining his facial expressions.

Now, I really hated how generic nickleback were years ago, just terrible, culminating in the "your two hits panned left and right shows they're the same song" thing.

However, I really have to admit, that the recent output, whilst still polished is way more interesting, and I can't hate them anymore, and actually like it. Well crafted songs, very polished production, with a lot of stuff having some good swagger to it.

So, yeah, tried to rag on them, can't do it. I'm handing back my cool kids metal membership card in the morning.

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
I was with a few friends in a bar just outside st Louis earlier this year and one of them after a few drinks put about $20 in the jukebox and put nickleback on back to back for about 40 minutes.

People's reaction went from mild amusement/disbelief at the start of the 3rd track to complete outrage/fury at the start of track 4 :lol:

·
ya boi
ESP, Kemper, Marshall
946 Posts
Eh, it sounds just like any other song on the modern rock station in my city. It's arguably better than their old output, but it's also more generic, and this time it seems they're following the trends, not setting them. Good production, but Nickelback have always had incredible production, so that isn't news. I'll be honest and say every now and then I'll put on a few tracks from All the Right Reasons, mostly just to hear that production, but also because there are a few cool tracks on it. That's probably what I'll keep doing, because this song did nothing for me.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
:hesright:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts