Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Turd Furguson
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well today I set out to swap the pickups in my new Caparison Horus. Here is what happened.
The Guitar and pickups

Lets see whats going on in that cavity

Hey somethin's missing

Pickups installed

Sorry no wiring or soldering pics.
All back together

As for the pickups they are a BKP Painkiller and a Dimarzio Tone Zone S. I have played it a bit and it sounds great, yet it is the first time I have installed BKP's and not thought it was a vast improvement. Honestly this guitar sounded much better than I thought it would stock, but I already had the pickups so I figured what the hell. I am still not sold. I love the PK in Mahogany, but in the walnut I am not sure yet. As always it is super tight and crunchy, but perhaps a bit too bright and agressive. The Tone Zone S is nice, but so far not as nice as the Fast Track 2 in my other Horus. It's not as fat and warm as I thought it would be. Well I'll give it some time and see if it grows on me. I mean don't get me wrong it sounds awesome, but just a little different than I was aiming for.

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
How does the position of the controls on those guitars work for you? They seem awfully far down on the body.

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
The volume knob is down by the input jack on that guitar. The Loomis is not as bad of a stretch.

·
Turd Furguson
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a Loomis as well and the controls are much more normal. That being said I thought the controls would be the one thing I disliked about this guitar, but I really don't mind them at all. Kinda like it now.

·
Turd Furguson
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well after some more time with it and some back to back playing with my other Horus with a Holy Diver and Fast Track 2. I can say I am 100% sold on the PK. It is just brutal and works very well for this guitar in B standard. Also I realized when playing the TZ and FT back to back that the TZ is warmer sounding than I had originally thought and isn't quite as punchy as the FT. I think it will grow on me. Only thing I really don't like about it is that the harmonics aren't quite as good as the FT.

·
Mod Britannia
7,233 Posts
Damn, that is a huge control cavity. Did you take the strings off completely, or just pop the trem out?

·
Tarantula Lobbyist
5,281 Posts
I don't think my first apartment was as big as that cavity.

·
Turd Furguson
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just popped the trem off, as I just changed strings and set it up a few days ago. Not sure why the cavity is so big, but it really doesn't matter.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Have you messed around with pickup height at all?

looks good :yesway:

·
Turd Furguson
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Have you messed around with pickup height at all?

looks good :yesway:
I have some. The PK is pure awesome in pickup form. Still not sold on the TZ-S, but I have heard that the regular TZ humbucker is very height sensitive so maybe I will play with the height before giving up on it. If it doesn't start doing it for me I am going back to the stock neck pickup this weekend. I may have a lot of soldering to do in the next few days. I have a set of Miracle Men ready for my Agile LP and a Bill Lawrence set ready to go in my Tele with a 4 way switch and then I may switch the neck pickup on the Horus again :)

·
Turd Furguson
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Justin. I raised the TZ-S closer to the strings and it sounds MUCH better. Now it sounds as fat as a whole damn weight watchers meeting.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Congrats Joe, I'm glad you're digging it. These are always one of the tougher Caparisons to part with as I am always super tempted to keep one. Angelus HGS as well.

Cheers bud.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts