Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

A couple months ago I got a 2018 Les Paul Signature Player Plus.....came with BurstBucker Pro pickups (I hate them). So I tried what I had on hand: A Duncan Distortion, DiMarzio Super Distortion, Duncan Custom, DiMarzio Air Classic, Duncan JB, Duncan Jazz, Carvin Distortion.

BTW, this Les Paul sounds fucking awesome acoustically (not plugged in).

Didn't like them (Duncan Distortion was my fav, but it was too bright, lacked bass - but felt awesome...tight & compressed). So after researching pickups for the millionth time, I took a chance and got a DiMarzio PAF Pro for the neck, and a DiMarzio Illuminator for the bridge. HOLY FUCK! :yesway:

I love these pickups. I always knew the PAF Pro was cool, but the fucking Illuminator sounds a LOT like the Seymour Duncan Distortion SH-6, but with a different EQ curve. It's like they took 1 notch away from the treble and upped 1 notch to the bass...but it still sounds tight and kinda compressed, just like the SH-6 does (at least that's MY impression...this is the only guitar I've tried the Illuminator in). It's too late to make any videos now...might try tomorrow.

I also installed Grover Locking tuners (I was kinda pissed it didn't already come with them, but whatever)...and at the last minute I bought Emerson volume/tone guts to throw in (just on a whim really).
I frikkin love this guitar! :metal:

:woot:

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Has the forum collectively had a discussion about whether pickguards belong on LPs or not spurred by this guitar yet?

If not, get ready...

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Has the forum collectively had a discussion about whether pickguards belong on LPs or not spurred by this guitar yet?

If not, get ready...
They never belong. It is known.

·
Tarantula Lobbyist
5,281 Posts
I grew up on Jimmy Page so Les Pauls should have pick guards. They don't however need their original pickups

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
I dunno, everything seems big to me. :shrug:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts