Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... and I'm thinking about going balls to the wall and getting some KT88's. Actually, I'm looking to get the Mesa Triple Rec KT88 - GZ34 - High gain option from Eurotubes. From the description it "will vaporize medium size animals". Shit, that sounds like something I'd be into. And from what I understand the GZ34 rectifiers are tighter than 5U4's, which is something I really want. Running tube rectification on my TR has such a badass tone, but at band volumes it loses definition. The tone is so much more sweeter than with SS rectifier.

At any rate, anyone have experience with 88's in a Recto? Soundclips? Anything you'd recommend that worked better than 6L6's? Not that I dislike them, but I'm looking for a different flavor.

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
zepp had some in his Recto. I think he said Dave told him that he effectively eliminated any need for the bass player in his band. :noodles:

I'm sure zepp will chime in.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
They're thick as hell, but man did Zepp's amp run hot.

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
Wirelessly posted (iPhone : Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; Droid Build/FRG22D) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Yeah, it ran REALLY hot.

Good call on the GZ34s, there really is no better option IMO. And the KT88s will turn that thing into a hellbeastx10000

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
Wirelessly posted (iPhone : Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; Droid Build/FRG22D) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Also, consider a mix. I think I had KT66s and KT88s in mine. Eurotubes dude is brilliant, so ask him any questions and he will set you straight.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
I like KT66s. At least, in the two amps I've tried them in (Budda SD45 and Traynor YBA-3)

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Does anybody know the difference between KT66, KT77, and KT88? Progressively larger bottles? My impression from this series is that they have a very deep low end and encourage a higher damping factor out of the system - very tight woofer control. Boom.

Also, consider a mix. I think I had KT66s and KT88s in mine. Eurotubes dude is brilliant, so ask him any questions and he will set you straight.
This is true, they are very helpful. A couple of odd theories about how tubes work, but it's all good. I like their product and service.

·
crying in your beer
3,782 Posts
Does anybody know the difference between KT66, KT77, and KT88? Progressively larger bottles? My impression from this series is that they have a very deep low end and encourage a higher damping factor out of the system - very tight woofer control. Boom.
The KT66 is an equivalent to the 6L6, with almost same specs, but a higher heating-output and it can therefor be driven harder - but for this i would take a close look to the specs of the SPECIFIC KT66, as some manufactuerers, like Sovtek, just sell a 6L6 in coke-bottle-design as KT66. Soundwise, i have unfortunately never tried them. But they should be near 6L6 of course.

The KT77 is spec-wise the equivalent to the EL34. Just as KT66=6L& its KT77=EL34.. Soundwise its really in between 6L6 and EL34 - Kinda like typicall 6L6 bottom end but with the higher-end (like f.e. in a screaming MArshall if you want so) of the EL34.

KT88 - these were designed as high power KT66/6L6 (and also becasue of problems with 6550 designs, but thats only hearsay form what i know), and thats also how they seem to sound. Hard to break up, clear, almost "Hi-FI" sounding (they have been used in Hi-Fi Audio devices a lot) - big but tight low-end, i reallyreally like them despite me only having limited experiences with those (also due to the fact that fuckheads Sovtek are selling their 6550s with KT88 label and me not knowing in advance about it :-/ ) , and if i again have some spare-money, i will buy me some high-end KT88s, namely Winged Cs. I'm currently using winged C 6550 and these are already AMAZING and my favourite tube so far.

EDIT: something to add reagrding the Rectifier tubes - i dont have much experience with them, BUT also the folks only using SS-rectifier should try different versions of the tubes, because (and that knowledge would have saved us a lot of time and money): they are still in the signal chain, even when you use SS-recti only. They also can go bad in that time, and if you once should stnad in front of your Mesa Rectifier, and it does nothing but blow fuses - please also check those big glasses.

Itnerstingly enough - you can still take them out completely when using SS only, but if they are inside, they will affect your signal.

·
Premium Member
7,708 Posts
I'm the wrong person to ask - I use the stock Mesas in my amp. :shrug:
The old Mesa STR 420s were weak, but the STR 440 6L6 tubes sound bassy and huge IMO. When I went from the stock Mesa 440s to JJs last year in my power amp, I actually didn't notice a difference, and I've noticed every other time I've put JJs in my amps.

The stock Mesa tubes are better than they used to be.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

:metal: I noticed he offers them as a kit; two 88's and four 66's.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm the wrong person to ask - I use the stock Mesas in my amp. :shrug:
I still have original STR430's in my TR, but they're shot. My amp is making all types of weird pops and hums and the low end is all but gone. Needless to say I haven't turned it on in over a week. I really like the 430's, better than the 440's Mesa currently offers.

·
Read Only
3 Posts
I have KT66s in my Budda, but I've never tried to bypass the preamp and use just the power section. I should do that sometime to compare the KT66s to the EL34 and 6L6 amps I have.

That's not helpful at all, just an observation :lol:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
I'd be curious, Matt. Supposedly the preamp on all of the Superdrives is the same, and the 45 is way tighter and more aggressive than my 30 but "sings" less. My 30 runs four EL84s and a tube rectifier, unlike your two KT66s and a solid state rectifier.

·
Read Only
3 Posts
Like, using the pre-amp from a Mesa into the power of the Uberschall, or stuff like that?
Yes, exactly. Or the preamp of the Mesa into the power section of the 300 watt SVT! :lol:

I'd be curious, Matt. Supposedly the preamp on all of the Superdrives is the same, and the 45 is way tighter and more aggressive than my 30 but "sings" less. My 30 runs four EL84s and a tube rectifier, unlike your two KT66s and a solid state rectifier.
My 45 is one of the original pre-Peavy ones, and has the tube recto.

·
18,790 Posts
I'm just afraid to put 300 SVT watts into my guitar cabs. I should just man up and do it. :rofl:
IIRC, the bass tone on the first Mudvayne album involved an Ampeg 8x10, a Mesa 4x12, a DI signal, and a heavily compressed shotgun mic pointed at the strings. Not sure what was driving the Mesa cab, though :lol: But I'd assume as long as you're careful with the volume and listen for the speakers threatening to explode/catch fire, you should be ok :lol:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts