Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Not baked anymore.
3,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Very Maiden-like intro....I'm only 30 seconds in so far....but it's not bad, not sure if this fits in any "This kinda sounds like such and such era" of Ryche....and that's kinda cool.

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
I'm really, really digging the song... but the album's name is so bad. :lol:

EDIT: Production's much better than the previous album, too. Guitar tones are badass. Scott's playing is fucking phenomenal here.

not sure if this fits in any "This kinda sounds like such and such era" of Ryche
It actually reminds me of the heavier, faster songs from Operation Mindcrime. Sounds like "Speak" meets "Spreading the Disease" meets Iron Maiden meets Power Metal.

·
Not baked anymore.
3,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Definitely a power metal feel in that chorus.

I think the coolest thing about this is that Todd is really just being Todd. There were times in the other record where he was doing the Geoff voice so well it could be hard to tell the difference, especially to a common listener, but this new one, no denying that's Tood all over it.

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
Holy SHIT does he sound like old Geoff! :lol:

Not the best song to carry the Queensryche name but it's always a welcome thing to hear some excitement from them. They could spend the rest of their career just replaying this song and I'd be glad it's not that circus lounge music they were playing with that old putz.

·
Premium Member
8,927 Posts
If Queensryche had spent the last 25 years making music like this, I'd still be the same fanboy I was back in 1989. It's not quite as good as what they did in the old days, but at least it's in the same neighborhood. Definitely looking forward to this album.

The power metal comparison is sort of a chicken-and-egg thing, since Queensryche is part of the DNA of that style.

·
Not baked anymore.
3,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My only gripe with the "evolution calling" thing is that they used the line on the last record "when a revolution calls"....they don't need to rely on throwbacks or hat-tips to their old stuff, this new shit is good enough on it's own. Just feels like cheapening themselves with that stuff. The dis towards Tate, if intentional, is awesome, but again....they're above that.

·
Not baked anymore.
3,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wow....musically, I really dug that. Right away it sounds like something from Promised Land then goes into a bit of Empire feel...probably the fastest solo stuff I've heard in this band, wonder if that was Mike or Parker?

Vocals did absolutely nothing for me in this one. There's like a quarter-hook in this song, just when you think you'll be humming a melody when it's over, you've forgotten it in the same thought. Love the intro and outro, you hear that and say right away, "That's Queensryche."

Damn do I wish the vocals were as strong as the music. Great delivery and performance, there's just no hook in this one for me. Some of the verse bits remind me of "Resistance"....I dunno, maybe it'll grow on me....two songs in a row with that "DA DAAAAAA" put-your-fists-in-the-air-and-sing-along-here parts, I'm being critical....I just want 100% badassery from these guys right now and the one thing they need to do it with the most feels like it's at 75%. I'm going to turn into one of those "Get DeGarmo back in to write." guys.

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
I liked the vocals, but I agree the music was the strongest point.

As for the solo, I'm betting the fast part was Parker. The dude's actually really talented, just underutilized. He's played jazz guitar for years and was really dedicated to practicing as a kid.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.