Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Read Only
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mazda Sports Car Chief Says RX-7 will Return in 2017, Produce 295HP - Carscoop

I wouldn't say this is carved in stone as of yet but man this is great. I loved my FC III Turbo to death.

If what they are saying is true and the new 16X rotary can make 295 HP without a turbo and meet emissions standards I might be all over this. New motor uses aluminum side housings and Direct Injection, they claimed to have stopped oil consumption issues as well :eek: Engine displacement has been increased to 1.6 liters. Think about that for a min. 295 HP from a NA 1.6 litre engine....

I got a feeling its going to be fairly expensive tho... And i am also wondering how poor it's MPG rating will be.

·
Read Only
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Basically a rotor has 3 stages injection, spark and exhaust.

Since the motor spins at such a high rpm there is a bit of fuel bleed over to the exhaust stage - a bit of fuel slips past the apex seals (think piston rings) that seals the rotar to the rotar housing.

The older apex seals were pretty prone to leaking (this is why they burn a lot of oil as well). If you didn't drive your car much the apex seals would shrink and not work worth a shit. (I passed on a Cherry 88 GTU because of this)

New engines have better apex seal design. The RX8 got around 23 or so MPG On the highway which is pretty bad for a 1.3 litre motor. Honestly if they can get it over 26 I will be fine with that..

·
Thread Killer
6,491 Posts

Since the motor spins at such a high rpm there is a bit of fuel bleed over to the exhaust stage - a bit of fuel slips past the apex seals (think piston rings) that seals the rotar to the rotar housing.

The older apex seals were pretty prone to leaking (this is why they burn a lot of oil as well). If you didn't drive your car much the apex seals would shrink and not work worth a shit. (I passed on a Cherry 88 GTU because of this)

New engines have better apex seal design. The RX8 got around 23 or so MPG On the highway which is pretty bad for a 1.3 litre motor. Honestly if they can get it over 26 I will be fine with that..
I know some dude with some rotary mazda.. New 2000's getting like 8-10 mpg.. :lol:

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Hivemind)

The renesis did a lot for fuel waste, and the 16x is meant to address that quite a bit as well.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Hivemind)

Also keep in mind that while its a 1.3 litre motor for exhaust purposes (and racing) its classed as a 2.6.

Switching the comp to use 2 stroke helps with combustion (including some small mpg boosts) and emmissions quite a bit as well

·
Read Only
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know some dude with some rotary mazda.. New 2000's getting like 8-10 mpg.. :lol:
I got around that in my 86 FCIII Turbo but I had it modded quite a bit

Yeah it sucked At least gas was a whole lot cheaper then

The single most important fact about owning a rotary

Never park on dry grass after driving a while. The Catalytic Converter get stupidly hot on them (to burn off unused fuel) If you drive your car for a while and park it on dry grass or leaves it will catch the ground on fire. For the same reason you cannot use fiberglass mufflers on them as they just burn up.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
I just don't understand what's so great about a rotary engine in the first place aside from the fact that it's "different."

·
Read Only
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just don't understand what's so great about a rotary engine in the first place aside from the fact that it's "different."
Very light engine weight lets you get 50/50 car weight distribution, very high Reving (9k) makes it a blast to drive.

Fewer moving parts than a traditional piston engine

In my Riced out one I could hit 52 mph in first gear at redline. (would do quarter mile in high 11's low 12's)

50/50 weight split made the cars handle like they are on rails.

Down Sides:

Fire risk
Parts = $$$$ (I payed 350 bucks for an alternator in 1993)
Eat Oil
Mpg
Can be difficult to start in the winter (this was fixed in the Renesis)

·
Thread Killer
6,491 Posts
Very light engine weight lets you get 50/50 car weight distribution, very high Reving (9k) makes it a blast to drive.

In my Riced out one I could hit 52 mph in first gear at redline. (would do quarter mile in high 11's low 12's)

Down Sides:

Fire risk
Eat Oil
Mpg
:eek: :rofl: Thats awesome..

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Wirelessly posted (like MAGIC!)

It'll be interesting to see how they solve the fuel consumption and emissions issues.

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts

Uh they burned oil because they have oil injection, Google oil metering pump. The apex seals had nothing to do with sealing from oil, that was done by the oil control rings (multiple) and the side seals to a lesser extent.

·
Read Only
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dude that is right (Brain fart) I must have been in shitty mpg leaky apex seal mode.

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
I got decent mileage from my 87 TII on the highway, but it wasn't modded much. I got as high as 28mpg. My highly modded 88 TII got a max of 23 hwy, and like 14 city :lol:

·
Read Only
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OOF I had an 82 GS that got shitty mileage plus the gas gauge didnt work so it made longer trips interesting.

It used to very rarely barf condensed water from the air conditioner into the passenger footwell :lol: Man did my wife (Girlfriend at the time) bitch about that.

It was fairly beat when I got it but I drove the shit out of it hooning around for about a year as a beater car before getting the turbo.

It also introduced me to how much changing a clutch in a rotary sucks. When the clutch died I was about 25 miles from home - I somehow managed to get it into third gear and drove it home like that. Luckily i was in the sticks and didnt have to make any stops until I got to town. Somehow I managed to luck out and got it to my in laws Car lot / garage.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts

Down Sides:

Fire risk
Eat Oil
Mpg
There are just way too many great guitar out there though that don't have these problems to deal with, IMO. I think a lot of it still comes down to the "character" of the cars.

For some reason RX people always remind me of Mini people or Jeep guys. :lol:

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
Why rotary engines? I don't understand why they are persevering with the road cars.

They are fantastic engines for racing with (hello, Mazda LMP's) but as a road platform I don't see it working. When the yanks are bithcing and moaning about their 'gas' prices, and then you think we pay three times as much as they do in the UK, I don't really see a market for it.

·
Registered
7,393 Posts
^ there will be a market trust me.

Also. 2017? Plenty of time to save up :lol:

All those "Yanks" bitching about gas prices. Yet we still sale trucks left and right that most get less MPG hen what some of the guys here are saying they got.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
This is why it cracks me up looking at the fuel consumption figures for something like a Merc CLS or Jag XJ-L. Large, heavy luxury vehicles with hundreds of horsepower that still get 18-22 mpg :lol:

·
MG.ORG Irregular
9,747 Posts
I always wonder what kind of fuel efficiency a current 2.4L V8 F1 uses right now would get at normal RPM operating ranges and not the 17-18k RPM they use in the races.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts