Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
What are you looking at?
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have it yet? Is it any good or should I just assume the worst? I didn't even realize it had been released last week.

·
Read Only
1,264 Posts
It's up on Spotify and I actually thought that might be the only way I heard it, but after a couple of listens I had to go out and buy it.

It's not his best album ever but it is far better (IMHO) than the last 3 or 4. Were it not for the Glasgow gig *not* featuring Mike Kenealley on keys I'd totally be there.

·
Dead & likes Rendang
3,170 Posts
Got it, and it's a much better effort than Satchifunkulus. There's some great moments like in Premonition, Wormhole Wizards and Wind in the Trees. Mike Keneally shines all over the album, and there's some wicked keyboard solos too. Also, Two Sides to Every Story has Joe's 3 Single Coil JS a full workout.

·
Premium Member
8,927 Posts
I have it on order. Of course, since I chose Amazon's "super saver" shipping, I probably won't have it for another three weeks. :lol:

The bits of each song played in the podcasts convinced me to grab it. I don't know if the material is that much better, but the band effort behind Joe sounds much more convincing than the last several albums.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Hivemind: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Humboldt Squid said:
I think Hagar had to have a hand in this absurd title.
Hey, at least it isnt as bad as "SuperfuckingretardedSatchaboogielicuous" or "Is there a fucking retarded album title in space?"
I think I'm the only person here who likes is there love in space :lol:

·
Premium Member
7,708 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Hivemind: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I think he sold two copies of that album, one by mistake on Amazon and one to you.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts

Actually, I think that's easily the strongest album from an otherwise dark period in the Satriani discography. :lol:

On my second listen so far. Initial impressons are sort of meh. The opener, "Premonition," is awesome and my hopes for the rest of the album went through the roof by the first minute or so of that song. However, it sort of tapers off from there, and a lot of the rest of the album is in the sort of forgettable blues-based territory he's been staying in lately.

That said, it's not that bad - whoever commented that the band sounded a bit more into it this time around was definitely right. Joe might still be mining the blues stuff pretty heavily, but he seems to be doing it with a good amount of conviction this time around, and his lead playing seems to have picked up a notch this time around, too.

Not bad, all in all, and I'll withhold final judgment until I've listened a few more times, but so far I prefer the last album, despite the preposterous name. :lol:

EDIT - and, the most frustrating thing for me is it's really not without its moments. The Pyrrhic Victoria chorus is damned cool, and even the pretty stock blues riff for Light Years Away actually had a lot of potential in a House Full of Bullets sort of way, it's just the rest of the song doesn't quite measure up...

·
What are you looking at?
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I picked up the new album last night on the way home from work and I’m on my third listen. This is the best thing he’s done in quite sometime in my opinion. It’s not up to Crystal Planet standards or anything from the 90’s for that matter, but it’s a big step up from the last 4 or 5 albums. The rest of the band is really making a difference on this album and I’m glad Joe brought in Kineally to play keys. He makes a world of difference IMO and he’s quite an improvement over Joe throwing down some basic lines as he’s done recently.
I think a few of the songs aren’t that memorable but I also think a few of them really stick out and have given me some inspiration to get recording. :yesway:

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
I think a few of the songs aren't that memorable...
That's my biggest complaint - the majority of the material is pleasant to listen to, but after 3-4 listens yesterday, "Premonition" is the only melody line I could hum back to you.

·
Motherfucker.
3,459 Posts
I've listened to it a few times now. I'm finding it boring as hell and, yeah, not very memorable. :(

·
Dead & likes Rendang
3,170 Posts
That's my biggest complaint - the majority of the material is pleasant to listen to, but after 3-4 listens yesterday, "Premonition" is the only melody line I could hum back to you.
I'd add Wind in the Trees as a memorable melody as well. It's also one of more better of Joe's long jamming tracks that he's been doing of late as well.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.